Cant get oil filter off

HOOPER65

Veteran Member
TDI
04 PD TDI GOLF
Cant get oil filter off
2.0 L Gas ...

Literally broke a strap wrench in the process.

have to take to a shop now

just to get a filter off . . .

I did not re-fill it with oil - due to plan to rope tow up the street to shop.

however --- is the height of the oil filter such that it could be taken off

while oil is in the engine and not drain all the oil out through the filter port ?

I'm trying to avoid putting brand new oil in

only to have to be draining brand new oil out

just to get a filter off ... and then putting contaminated oil

that was dumped in a bucket - back in .

ShelbyRazorback

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6MT (traded in). None at the moment.
Make sure you are turning it the correct way. I've had to drive a screwdriver all the way through one near the base and unscrew it that way (long time ago, forgot the make of the vehicle). Make sure you go an inch or so away from the base so you don't damage it. I'm not sure how much room you have but the longer the screwdriver the better for leverage. Also use a thick screwdriver or you'll bend it for sure. Although if it is indeed on that hard, you may bend a thick one too so don't use a screwdriver that you are emotionally attached to.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
once you get it loose the upper cooler gasket will likely leak, at least that's my luck on them after they've been manhandled by idiots cranking filters on. Luckily you can use the old filter gasket on top of the oil cooler

I mangle them off with a channellocks, sometimes all of the can has to come off, then you use a chisel and hammer to spin off the baseplate

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I would say, go ahead and remove the filter. The screw on filters from the factory are extremely tight so just deal with it. Perhaps you should not attempt something that is beyond your skill set.

If you did not damage the filter so that it leaks, just fill the engine back up with oil and drive it to the shop you had in mind.

HOOPER65

Veteran Member
TDI
04 PD TDI GOLF
I've done hundreds of oil changes - On this occasion it was not me who put the filter on too tight - but I agree, there is a risk of this going from annoying, to a bigger problem if the cooler gets damaged in the process - so I'm likely going to fill it up with oil and just drive to the shop ( a VW shop ) -

- - - a parts place suggested the screw driver idea ... but not much room and its getting to could up here in the great white north to deal with a mess like that outdoors in my yard ( old dripping everywhere from a punctured filter ) .. . I'll head to the shop - that for the advice everyone.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
There is no shame in stopping before you get to a point where you could FUBAR something and ruin your day. :cool:

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta, 5 speed, 400k milesish
Get the adapter with the 3/8 lug in the end of it. Fit it on the filter and put an impact on it - give it a couple of short bursts to break it free.