48 MPG...woohoo!

Antgli

TDI
2012 Passat SE TDI
Today was our first time taking our brand new TDI out on the highway. A trip that was 110 miles long. We never thought it would manage 48 mpg on an engine that's not fully broken in yet. In any case we're happy to be getting this type of mileage on this size car. Just amazing! I can't wait to see what mpg's we get once the engine's fully broken in.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Congrats on the new Passat and welcome to TDIClub! :cool:

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Today was our first time taking our brand new TDI out on the highway. A trip that was 110 miles long. We never thought it would manage 48 mpg on an engine that's not fully broken in yet. In any case we're happy to be getting this type of mileage on this size car. Just amazing! I can't wait to see what mpg's we get once the engine's fully broken in.
Welcome!

How exactly did you determine that MPG? Did you fill up and calculate or read the MFA(computer)?

As well we love details on here. What kind of terrain? weather? temp?

Antgli

TDI
2012 Passat SE TDI
Thanks everyone!

Here are some details:

2012 Passat SE TDI w/DSG
200+ miles on the odometer
95% highway / 5% suburban driving
55 deg F. Partly cloudy
Mostly flat highway driving with a few miles of a slightly graded mountain pass
Traveling west bound (against head wind) - Not windy today.
Relying on the car's MFA for MPG. Reset the avg mpg before heading out. Haven't filled the tank yet.

Love the car!

NateTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000 TDI, JSW 2010 TDI
Thanks everyone!

Here are some details:

2012 Passat SE TDI w/DSG
200+ miles on the odometer
95% highway / 5% suburban driving
55 deg F. Partly cloudy
Mostly flat highway driving with a few miles of a slightly graded mountain pass
Traveling west bound (against head wind) - Not windy today.
Relying on the car's MFA for MPG. Reset the avg mpg before heading out. Haven't filled the tank yet.

Love the car!
But what was the barometric pressure?

sesh1957

Deactivated Account
48 sounds great, my Passat SEL is on its' first tank, my 22 miles to work is about half highway, dash readout mpg is getting to 41, very promissing. Can't wait to fill up and get the actual. A shame we have to wait so long between fillups. My 98 jetta did about 48, be great to get the same with this bigger car.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Just wanted to make sure you were flying AGL, with that barometric pressure. 48 MPG with the DSG transmission is really good... curious, how fast were you driving, average to get those kind of MPG's? You can get that on the right stalk if you turn the ignition on, then start the motor, then for settings, go to "Consumption 2" with the "OK" button, then push the arrow down button until it gives you your " average speed".

Antgli

TDI
2012 Passat SE TDI
Just wanted to make sure you were flying AGL, with that barometric pressure. 48 MPG with the DSG transmission is really good... curious, how fast were you driving, average to get those kind of MPG's? You can get that on the right stalk if you turn the ignition on, then start the motor, then for settings, go to "Consumption 2" with the "OK" button, then push the arrow down button until it gives you your " average speed".
My avg speed according to the MFA was 50mph.

Antgli

TDI
2012 Passat SE TDI
Do you guys think the MFA's on the optimistic side? I guess the real test would be to fill her up and calculate the miles with gallons dispensed.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
There's already a long thread discussing this. Maybe this should be merged with it?
My MFD is optimistic, I'm still working out how much, but so far, about 2%...when it reads 50mpg, I'm really getting around 49mpg. i don't have enough fills to think about adjusting it.

whitevanman

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 110 afn
48 is not very good. I get that on my 99 b5 passat on a bad day. you should be seeing 55 mpg.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
I think you need to stop focusing on the mpg and break the engine in correctly...mpg shouldnt be considered until the engine is mildly broken...Its important to not baby these engines during the first couple thousand miles...and not to baby it all the time after that either.

If you break it in 50+ will be no problem

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
48 is not very good. I get that on my 99 b5 passat on a bad day. you should be seeing 55 mpg.
Yah your 99 b5 got 140hp?....236ft lbs tq?...Yah i dont think so...does it also only have 220 miles on the motor?....how about exaust filters

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Yes... all of you people who are excited about getting good fuel economy should cease and desist immediately. Stop being happy about your new car. ;)

Seriously? Stop raining on the good MPG parades... people are excited about their new rides. :rolleyes:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Yah your 99 b5 got 140hp?....236ft lbs tq?...Yah i dont think so...does it also only have 220 miles on the motor?....how about exaust filters
Exactly. You can't compare a 99 B5 to a 12 B7. Totally different machines, especially considering the strict emissions controls on the B7.

dborja

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE - Night Blue Metallic
Congrats, Antgli and welcome! I see you use Fuelly; that's more accurate as the MFA is a bit optimistic.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Great mileage......Hey, I just filled up today, got 50.8 mpg's on this tank.......and I'm not excited, nope not at all:p I've been averaging 52+mpg's on my commutes in the warmer weather, it's those darn trips my wife takes that drags down my overall mpg's :D

Antgli

TDI
2012 Passat SE TDI
Congrats, Antgli and welcome! I see you use Fuelly; that's more accurate as the MFA is a bit optimistic.
Thanks dborja! Yes, using Fuelly is definitely more accurate than the MFA. In any case, the day I achieved 48 mpg (MFA reading) was the last:(! I never was able to attain it again. I'm not complaining as my mileage is still 42.1 mpg according to Fuelly. From what I've noticed the MFA reads approximately 1 mpg more than calculating it with pen and paper.

FSD

TDI
none
I just finished off my first tank, maybe 55% city driving, and got 36.5mpg hand calc with the computer saying 37.8mpg. Happy so far with it. I bet a tank with a lot of freeway/highway at 65-70mph would net some good results.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
FSD: Sadly, you and I are at the bottom of the MPG list. We're probably doing 80/20 city/highway, and are getting tank averages of 35-36MPG.

Our JSW is even lower, 32-34mpg.

Based on what I've read here, we may not get to crow about our 200k+ repair-free CR TDIs!...sob...

pumpadoosa

TDI
Passat, 2005, black
I just bought on Wed, drove SE DSG to work next day, prob averaging 65 mph and got 50.2 mpg on 25 mi commute to wrk, 80% hwy. Next day I got over 52 prob going a 2-3 mph slower, no cruise and varying rpm's per break in procedures. Went golfing yesterday, about 18 miles away, all two-lane road, with a few stoplights, speed avg prob low 40 mph. Was 90 degrees when we finished, so ran a/c pretty strong on trip home and still got 40 mpg.

I don't see this baby getting what my '02 Jetta TDI with upsolute chip did in terms of mileage, but given that it will get fairly close, there is no comparison given the size of the new Passat.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Let us know when you actually fill up and calculate the miles driven divided by gallons pumped what you go on the car.

I got 200 MPG for a 20 mile drive on the downhill side out of the mountains.... LOL!

That is the real MPG. The MFD is just an instantaneous reading.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Let us know when you actually fill up and calculate the miles driven divided by gallons pumped what you go on the car.

I got 200 MPG for a 20 mile drive on the downhill side out of the mountains.... LOL!

That is the real MPG. The MFD is just an instantaneous reading.
Whew, I thought we lost you Tom, glad to see you are setting these guys straight on mpg calculations:rolleyes: By the way, I hand calculated my mileage on a 326 mile trek last week, drove 63/64 mph the whole way(torture), averaged 57.2 mpg's, but of course that's just my word so I'm sure you will figure out a way to rationalize that I'm a lunatic:D Carry on guys, keep report your MFD readings, it's all good.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Todays fillup... about 300 miles of it was spent doing stop and go city type driving chasing the Tour of California riders on Stage 6, Palmdale, CA to Big Bear, CA up and down through the mountains. 371.6 miles 7.71 gallons 48.1 MPG, and about 16,000 vertical feet climbing going up and down mountain ranges that day, 12000 on the course. Which without being able to coast much or coast and glide, really cuts into the MPG.

Dismayed

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL-Premium TDI
My wife drove our Passat 300 miles to Maine and back last week. She averaged 48.6 mpg; I can live with that!