05 TDI Jetta long cranking and sometimes wont start at all.

Bbygirl

TDI
05 TDI Jetta GLS
I have a 2005 BEW Jetta that has issues starting. The car has 185,000 miles. I have recently replaced:
  • Timing belt (timing now at +0.05)
  • Clutch
  • Tandem pump
  • Lift pump
  • Camshaft sensor (used but working part)

I have checked glow plugs and swapped working glow plug relay from dad's car--no difference. Since owning I have had slightly long cranking cycles every time I start the car. Cranking is normal pace but it takes longer than normal to start. So much so that I have already replaced the starter once. Cranking time has lengthened here recently and now it is not starting at all sometimes. Much more recently (started to happen more frequently immediately after replacing tandem pump but I'm unsure if related) it cranks a few times then stops and makes a weird sound. I took a video and will link in the forum bellow of exactly the sound it makes when cranking. If you watch the video you'll see that the last time I attempt to start I give it some gas and it reluctantly starts. I underline the last part because that is my main concern with starting cycle at the moment. I realize that many watching the video will point out that I have a starter issue. The starter is probably wearing out since I have been cranking hard for about 3 months now. I get a check engine light every time I get a no start. It is always a G40 camshaft sensor no signal or intermittent signal.

Dad suspects a fuel issue but is tired of working on the car. I need help!!

https://youtu.be/YWjdab-YYRY

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
You have replaced the cam sensor but have you checked to be sure the wiring it plugs into is ok? Follow from the plugin as far as you can make sure there is no chafing or fraying.

One other possibility I hate to mention. Check you cam. This can be done by pulling the valve cover. These BEW engines have a known cam problem, as the cam wears the starting gets harder. After my cam replacement I was surprised at how quickly my car would start as compared to what I was used to.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Another info bit, from experience I know that a worn out dogbone mount
can cause a longer crank than normal. Sounds funny but if you think about it...

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Did you replace the cam sensor; and if so, where did you purchase it? I had long cranking also when I replaced the OEM cam sensor with a no-name sensor. Had to go to the dealer for the genuine cam sensor, and all is well.