Replacing PD Camshaft Position Sensor

drywaller

Veteran Member
TDI
VDUBS
Not that I am aware of. The wires coming out of the cam sensor plug are not shielded. So I assume they are not shielded anywhere down the line. Hope that makes sense.

jettasetta

Banned con artist and self-proclaimed victim
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS MK4 PD-BEW 5SP-EUH TDI
Not that I am aware of. The wires coming out of the cam sensor plug are not shielded. So I assume they are not shielded anywhere down the line. Hope that makes sense.
Cam sensor, and/or crank sensor ... crappy wires.. Crappy ground… someplace near the fire wall or not .... ***? Incompetent dealers, mysterious sh*t no one can figure out! Cam-timing settings that differ on every car. Was each car randomly thrown together by workers with brain injuries or was the quality control department on leave when they designed these cars? Is there no real mechanics who can fix both sensors, wires and grounds once and for all or is this just some sort of referred pain with a cause elsewhere, like the pain in my ass caused by fault codes. Why is this one so damn convoluted?
Drywaller, … that name in combination with the avatar picture brings up another irreconcilable conflict, that is similar in kind…, I want to make the attempt but I’m afraid I might get burned.

Last edited:

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Dimitri, any luck with your sensor?
new sensor was the fix
No more hard starting , better fuel economy , much more torque , smooth idle etc..

The old sensor was reporting rubbish , found the torsion value actually at 2.9 which made the idle rough. Moved camshaft CC about 5mm and it is at 0 deg now. I think the wiring is intact since it has been rainy and the car has been driven hard and no issues.

lesson learned , do not attempt timing belt change if you have cam sensor errors. Since the ECU defaults to 0 deg , the cam timing could be anywhere . i made that mistake 9 months ago and the car was smoking , drinking fuel and making my life miserable.

Last edited:

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Guys, how difficult would it be to just bypass the factory cam sensor wires and replace them with new wire altogether? An overlay of sorts. Also seems to me that 14 gauge wire would suffice?
the way I would do is to run 3 new wires straight to the ECU connector wires and solder them there. if you have an intermittent short somewhere , ohming out connections won't do $hit
You do want to check the ECU grounds to the (-) battery pole. I always run extra grounds from the battery to the cylinder head and to the ECU

here is a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exz4f4RfBFY

PD uses the 2nd type sensor with a transistor inside .. which explains why it could go bad

Last edited:

drywaller

Veteran Member
TDI
VDUBS
new sensor was the fix
No more hard starting , better fuel economy , much more torque , smooth idle etc..

The old sensor was reporting rubbish , found the torsion value actually at 2.9 which made the idle rough. Moved camshaft CC about 5mm and it is at 0 deg now. I think the wiring is intact since it has been rainy and the car has been driven hard and no issues.

lesson learned , do not attempt timing belt change if you have cam sensor errors. Since the ECU defaults to 0 deg , the cam timing could be anywhere . i made that mistake 9 months ago and the car was smoking , drinking fuel and making my life miserable.
Dimitri. Our situations are similar. My car ran great. Fast starts smooth idle and plenty of power. Shortly after doing the timing belt change then problem started. I replaced the sensor and the problem went away for a short time. I wonder what caused the sensor to fail?
Good to hear yours is worked out. Did you run new wires to and from the ecu?

drywaller

Veteran Member
TDI
VDUBS
I just finished replacing The of the three wires coming from the cam sensor plug. The third wire (black w/yellow stripe) terminates to an area just to the drivers side of the battery box. I did not disassemble that "area" yet. It looks like some sort of relay or something. Really not sure. Does anyone have any idea what that part is for?

fungi131

TDI
2005 golf
replacement grommet

I just replaced my sensor. The grommet broke apart when I removed it. Does anyone have a part number or source for the replacement?

found the part numbers for anyone interested: 038971904 ; 1E0-971-904; 1E0971904

Both Impex, and ECS have them listed.

Last edited:

toastie

TDI
2010 Ibiza
hello everyone . im new and already need some help :(

hi , iv read through the thread and it all makes sense but im still left confused .

the story so far ! i gort myself a little 1.4 Ibiza dti (2010) and love it but its starting to be harder to start once warm so stuck it on the magic boz thing and im told the Camshaft Position Sensor is playing up . so not to bad news and i get one and stick it in today but rater than being better it was worse .

Basically now cold its the same as when its warm .

So i swap back to the old one and it goes back to how it was in the first place so i repeat the hole thing twice with the same results .

so whats the chance of the new part being faulty ? i cants see it being a wiring problem as its so predictable but seems odd its worse with the new one than the one thats bringing up the fault code .

iv tried it not plug in at all and its exactly the same as with the new part fitted ..

is it possible iv got the wrong part ? the wire on it is about 3 inch longer but it looks the same and the plug fits properly .

thanks loads for any info . i look forward to being part of whats looks a interesting and useful forum .

cheers t

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
ps does the ecu need programming for the new censor ? ta t

No but are you getting or were you getting a fault code? I had a fault code and the car would take longer to start all the time and randomly cut out. A new sensor cured mine.

I'm not sure it's a cam sensor thing if it's just hard starting when warm.

toastie

TDI
2010 Ibiza
ye i was getting a code witch ties in with the longer to start warm thing.

now the old ones back in i will get it read again .

just seems odd it was worse with a new one than the old one that was bringing up the code . you would think at lease it would be the same (well i would think)

cheers t

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ye i was getting a code witch ties in with the longer to start warm thing.

now the old ones back in i will get it read again .

just seems odd it was worse with a new one than the old one that was bringing up the code . you would think at lease it would be the same (well i would think)

cheers t
When I replaced mine it threw my timing out, I'd set it with a bad sensor to start with. It could be you need to redo the cam timing.

Engine, measuring blocks, group 4 and Check the 4th section, you ideally want it as close to 0 as possible.

toastie

TDI
2010 Ibiza
blimy , iv got no idea how to do that il have to stick that in to the experts ,

i was told today i should make sure the codes are reset after changing is so the ecu starts using it again , i guess that makes sense ? , iv sent this one back so will get another and give it a shot , fingers crossed its was just a bad part .

cheers for help t

toastie

TDI
2010 Ibiza
is anyone sure if i need to clear the codes after fitting the new censor in order for it to work properly ? it would be very helpful to know . cheers

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
is anyone sure if i need to clear the codes after fitting the new censor in order for it to work properly ? it would be very helpful to know . cheers

No, shouldn't make any odds. Old codes are stored but they don't actually affect the ecu.

Most garages should be able to tweak the cam timing or at least check it to see where it is. Sensor might be fine, I'd check the timing first.

toastie

TDI
2010 Ibiza
ok thanks , so the timing can be changed without the belt coming off then ? like and old petrel car ish ? is it changed electrically or mechanically ? not that im going to do it but just interested .

i saw somewhere about belt tent ion but again i dont know waht it should feel lkie so il have to take it to someone .

cheers for all your help , im learning witch is great :) ta t

puntmeister

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW
Just got VCDS and Ross-tech cable, checked codes, 19463.

Haven't had any issues starting or running - except the cruise control doesn't work (Green light goes on on the dash, but doesn't actually engage).

Would a bad camshaft sensor prevent cruise control from working?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ok thanks , so the timing can be changed without the belt coming off then ? like and old petrel car ish ? is it changed electrically or mechanically ? not that im going to do it but just interested .

i saw somewhere about belt tent ion but again i dont know waht it should feel lkie so il have to take it to someone .

cheers for all your help , im learning witch is great :) ta t

The cam pulley has 3 13mm bolts holding it in place but the holes they go through are slotted. You loosen them a touch then move the big centre bolt to move the cam.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/c...lue-adjustment-on-vw-and-audi-pd-tdi-engines/

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just got VCDS and Ross-tech cable, checked codes, 19463.
Haven't had any issues starting or running - except the cruise control doesn't work (Green light goes on on the dash, but doesn't actually engage).
Would a bad camshaft sensor prevent cruise control from working?
More likely a badly adjusted clutch switch or something, don't think the cam sensor comes into it but not a 100%

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
More likely a badly adjusted clutch switch or something, don't think the cam sensor comes into it but not a 100%
Yep. Does the car start without pressing the clutch pedal? If so, bad switch.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
interesting thanks . can you do any harm ? how do you read the timing ? i guess not with a light .

thanks for the lessons :)

So you didn't click the link? Did you read it? It's all in there lol

toastie

TDI
2010 Ibiza
some good new i think , second sensor fitted and so far so good so it does look like i had a bad part . fingers crossed .

cheers for everyone's input :)

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Good luck! I have the same error with my PD, and will troubleshoot the sensor or wiring harness in a week. Whichever one it is, the only "symptoms" my car has is poor mileage. Could be my driving style, or the sensor (or something else).

I have the CPS intermittent sensor code. Car starts faster than any car I have ever been in. Not sure if a bad CPS can affect your mileage????

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Good luck! I have the same error with my PD, and will troubleshoot the sensor or wiring harness in a week. Whichever one it is, the only "symptoms" my car has is poor mileage. Could be my driving style, or the sensor (or something else).

I have the CPS intermittent sensor code. Car starts faster than any car I have ever been in. Not sure if a bad CPS can affect your mileage????

Had zero affect on mine, just occasional longer starts and cutting out when you really didn't need it lol

But, it did throw the torsion value out by -1 so who knows

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
After a month of "getting to it", I finally replaced the CPS. I checked my PD timing with my VCDS(was worried my timing would change like another user here???), but timing before and after CPS was no different. Car runs great, seems to have even more power? Car ran fine before. I'll keep an eye on MPG too. So glad I did it.

Doca

TDI
Mk5 TDI Golf
I have the long start implausible signal on the cam sensor on a 2008 BEW. I have replaced the sensor & the starting is identical if I unplug the sensor so I think I have a wiring fault. Can anyone tell me the where the 3 wires go to? what are the ECU pin nos?

Thanks.