How To extend glow time with Vag-com - ALH

sharkie

TDI
Golf V 2.0 TDI
In fact - with VAG COM channel 12 looks nothing like it does here. Mine has a stored value of 0. Measuring block 12 looks something like with the binary word, the time ins seconds, the voltage and the temperature.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I know the VAG-COM mod to extend preglow time DOES NOT WORK on the BEW PD engine. :mad: I've already tried it. :mad: Measuring block 12 on the BEW PD engine in my 05 PD Jetta Wagen looks like what you've described. I expect that it will also not work on the 2.0 PD engine.:mad:

As far as I know, the adaptation only works on the ALH and older TDI engines.:(

jhedrich

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 TDI GLS Green
coolant glow plugs

Is there a setting that can make the coolant glow plugs heat longer too? My car takes forever to warm up, but my sisters car heats up in no time at all. Hers is a 2003 mine is a 2000.

cdodgyd

Just tried this on my 96 B4 Passat (1Z engine). There is no channel 12 data on my Vag Com! The last available channel that has any data is 5. Any ideas?

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
I am 99½% certain the 2000 ALH doesn't have a coolant glowplug (I know mine doesn't). And that model year does not have an extended glow time, as the 2003 does. Meaning, when the GP light turns off, so do the GPs. But newer models extend glow time to assist combustion (not sure if same is true for the coolant GP).

BTW, I want to thank the guys who came up with this mod. It works great during spring and fall temps.

Last edited:

Brock_from_WI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon
Yup, I was going to say auto trannies don't have the coolant glow plugs since they somehow extract heat from the trannie.
I did check and lengthening of the time does also effect how long the coolant plugs stay on after you start it as well. With the stock setting my coolant glow plugs go off about at about 90F and now mine go off at about 110F. And yes if my car has been sitting all day at 80F outside the coolant glow plugs do come when I start on and stay on until about 110F.

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
I am a tad confused here so I apologize up front if this questions is stupid ;)

So if I go and increase my gp time say a couple seconds and the coolant is @ 0C will the ecu automatically use that setting as a reference point and increase the overall gp time as the temperature drops?

Example: So I change gp time to 3s @ 0C and the stock gp time @ -10C is 3s wil the gp time increase to something like 6s automatically?

Hopefully this makes some kind of sense to someone :p

Brock_from_WI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon
It's not really a time setting as much as a temperature setting. My understanding of this mod is what your telling the ECU is it is "x" number of degrees cooler then it thinks it is. So if it's really 32F (0C) outside the ECU might read it as 20F (-6C). Based on that temp it lengthens out both the pre-glow and post-glow for a given length of time.

I have been wondering if this effects the temp the car thinks it is outside once warm as well. So if its 100F does it think it's only 90F as well and not change the IQ as much?

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Brock_from_WI said:
It's not really a time setting as much as a temperature setting. My understanding of this mod is what your telling the ECU is it is "x" number of degrees cooler then it thinks it is. So if it's really 32F (0C) outside the ECU might read it as 20F (-6C). Based on that temp it lengthens out both the pre-glow and post-glow for a given length of time.

I have been wondering if this effects the temp the car thinks it is outside once warm as well. So if its 100F does it think it's only 90F as well and not change the IQ as much?
IQ & ID & Timing are directly related air temp , fuel temp , water temp and altitude . The ECU has Fuel maps for variances in all .

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
So if I use a coolant heater currently how would this affect doing this adaptation for the gp's?

Brock_from_WI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon
Assuming the coolant heater has warmed up the coolant and engine enough it may not run the GP's at all. I run mine for about an hour right now and two hours in the middle of winter and the GP's never come on since the engne is already warm. When I leave work at 25F they run for 10-15 seconds, they used to run about 5 seconds at this temp.

shanefoshia

TDI
2000 Jetta 1.9L
I live here in michigan and it has been cold out there and my 2000 jetta tdi was staring poorly and now After this adjustment Its working great. It was bad enough to light up the mil light.I checked the code that number 2 cyclinder was missing Intermidite. After she warms up she is fine. I am sill going to put some new glow plugs in her she has 130000 miles on her so she needs new ones. Now I have autotrans too i cant find any glow plugs for the coolent. I would love to have heat faster than i get. THANKS

Last edited:

volkswarren

TDI
Audi A6 Quattro 2.5 tdi(AKE) PP683's & Celtic Remap
What other logon codes are there? 12233 doesn't work for me on my AEL (97) engine, yet it works fine on my brothers aat(95) and dad's (99)tdi's.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Autos don't need coolant GP's they warm up MUCH faster than the manuals due to the autobox heating up very quickly. Besides, you'd have to change your alternator too. You have 90amp and you need to go to 120.

TurbineWhine

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Platinum Grey
jhedrich said:
Is there a setting that can make the coolant glow plugs heat longer too? My car takes forever to warm up, but my sisters car heats up in no time at all. Hers is a 2003 mine is a 2000.
Change out your coolant thermostat. I have done this for several customers this winter and to my own car just last evening. My car went from 8 miles to reach normal operating temperature to 3.5 miles.

TW

ChuckDubDub

TDI
New Beetle, '99 Blue
Mine is a 2000, New Beetle. So if I set a lower number in the adaptation field, like 32650, but the "time" units still read 0, could that be an affect of my engine not being quite cold enough?

This is the case even though I shut off and restarted the ignition/ECU.

Thanks,

Chuck

Last edited:

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
ChuckDubDub said:
Mine is a 2000, New Beetle. So if I set a lower number in the adaptation field, like 32650, but the "time" units still read 0, could that be an affect of my engine not being quite cold enough?

Thanks,

Chuck
What the temperature say? :)

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
ChuckDubDub said:

Thanks,

Chuck
Yes. The coolant has to be very cold to see a number other than zero in that field. If you set the adaptation at 32650, you will increase your glow time by about 5-7 seconds over what it would normally be at any given temperature. It will also decrease the threshold at which they start to glow. You just cannot see the results unless the coolant temp is low enough.

For example:

Before adaptation:

10*C (50*F) = No glow
5*C (40*f) = 2 seconds of glow
0*C (32*f) = 5 seconds of glow

After adaptation:

10*C = 2-3 seconds of glow.
5*C = 4-6 seconds of glow.
0*C = 6-8 seconds of glow.

Note: These are just examples for reference. Each car is different.

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Re questions about 1Z adaptation:
Depends on which ECU is installed. The original North American market 1996 Passat TDI ECU (with the BK suffix after the part number) does not support this adaptation. The 'smoke fix' replacement ECU (GQ suffix) might. The 1997 and later FA Passat and JB Jetta do allow this adjustment.
I've added a manual over-ride to allow me to power the glow plugs for as long as I hold the button. My BK doesn't allow adaptation. More importantly to me, the high percent of biodiesel I choose to use can benefit from heat assist at an ambient temperature where petrodiesel might not need and the stock ECU program doesn't activate the glow plugs.

ChuckDubDub

TDI
New Beetle, '99 Blue
As it turns out, it was definitely temp-related. We had a chilly morning, and the duration of the gp when I started was certainly up to several seconds!

misu tdi

TDI
golf 4 alh
how could i reduce the warming time of the glow plug to a ALH engine afther the engine is running? i refere period after glow............
Scuzati engleza.

Brock_from_WI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon
Are you referring to the actual glow plugs or coolant plugs or both? The glow plugs run about as long after starting as they do before starting. The coolant plugs (only on manual transmission’s) run to about 90F or 32C with stock settings.

I believe the two times / set points are linked. So if you reduce this it will also lower the temperature set point the coolant plugs switch off after as well. The catch is if you lower it you might have an issue starting, or you might have to cycle them twice before a cold start. If it was just the coolant plugs you could just physically unplug one or two or all three. That shouldn’t affect starting in any way, it would just take longer to warm up because of the reduced load on the alternator and the obviously the plugs not warming the coolant. The mileage is reduced with a cold engine and emissions are also worse with the engine colder.

Out of curiosity, why would you not want the coolant plugs on after?

Bora-chiara

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BHW, CKRA
I did the adaptation to 32700 the other day and came out of work tonight to a cold car and for the first time since i've purchased the car the glow plugs turned on. Never heard that relay and seen the dash lights dim a little bit like that. Started nicely, but adapted to 32650 any way because i'd like to have the plugs glow at a higher temp than they do and make a smoother start. REALLY happy with the results so far! Can't wait for tomorrow morning!

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 Avant 1996 Silver
Well I saw this mod when it was posted years ago but never needed this , here we get like 5 days per year under 8ºC and my car is in a garage so it ends up not that cold in the morning since I arrive ate 23h with a hot engine and it heats up the garage... so at 10h in the morning its like 3 to 4ºC warmer.

So the problem now is that with so much mods and a oil cooler it takes a lot of time to heat up... I was thinking on making some modifications like a switch to the coolant plugs but now I read they will come on also longer?

Brock_from_WI : did you notice it heats up better the coolant? Mine takes a lot time to get to 50ºC.. then it goes fast to 75 more less when the oil cooler thermostat opens and it goes slowly to the 85 I set for it (80ºC thermostat).
My car is a AFN 16bits ECU from 96... will it work?

Im also a chiptuner so will take some minutes to search this maps now :p

Regards,

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 Avant 1996 Silver
Just to say that it works on my car too.
Extended from 1.5s to 3.5s... 9ºC was doing 1.5s of glow. Changed to 32700 and will test ASAP. At least I was able to save and see the glow plug light come up a lot longer.

Regards,