Hard starting TDI

Shadetreemx

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Starting my 2009 Jetta TDI for the first time each day is noticeably different. I have to crank the engine over for 3 to 4 seconds before it starts. Subsequent starts during the day are normal. I change the fuel filter every 20K. It's due for a fuel filter change soon as it's close to 80K miles on the odometer. It's August in Minnesota and temps are in the 70s . Any ideas will be appreciated!

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
A battery on the way out would cause that if it's not turning the motor fast enough. how old is the battery? bad-ish glow plugs, dying starter, probably more that would do that, but off the top of my head these would cause that. Hopefully others will have some ideas.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Potential causes are numerous. Over advanced timing, no glow, weak in-tank pump, etc.
Try key on for 4 or 5 seconds before cranking. Taken aback at the mention of the fuel filter maintenance, do you not change the air filter? Check the model specific forum for issues unique to the '09.
VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
If it starts well warm but not on an August morning I’d suspect a coolant sensor. The next step I’d take is to scan with VCDS to see if any temperatures are providing unexpected outputs before starting when cool.

I’m not sure about this but it might also be a cam or crank position sensor. IIRC the PD engines use the cam sensor to identify which cylinder needs injection first, but only when warm. Might be the CRs do this warm or cold and if the sensor doesn’t read right it takes longer to fire. VCDS or similar tool for diagnosis again.

My 2010 started instantly this morning at 60F, sitting overnight, and typically requires a few revolutions hot. I’m still using the oriinal battery.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Not sure if this applies to the 09

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=499189&highlight=Vvt

Read this thread, sadly pretty common on a couple of generations of CR engines. Mine does it too.

Watch the linked video, explains it well.

What I haven't been able to find out is if we can just replace the sticky valve or if the new valve requires the new solenoid setup. I plan on replacing the valve if I can get the answer to that question.

Last edited: