Lost 1st gear,2nd gear,5th gear, and reverse

Glen_Pratt

I need some help. Tonight coming to work some punk ass kid changing lanes almost side-swiped me. I was in 5th gear when I down shifted into 4th to miss him. As I accelerated away I went to shift into
5th gear, but the tranny went into 3rd gear. I got off the L.I.E. and when I stopped at the first traffic light, I realized I could not shift into 1st gear or 2nd gear. I basically smoked my clutch(literally) limping
to work. Once at work I realized I can't shift into reverse as well. I popped the shift boot off the console and see the shifter is attached to the gear box with four torx bolts. I'm thinking the internal linkage
popped off. My clutch was smoking and slipping by the time I got to work from starting in 3rd gear (remember no 1st or 2nd gear). The car is a 2003 TDI GLS wagon. It's only five months old with 7300 miles on it.
I will look at my Bentley manual when I get home in the morning. I'm debating wether to check it out my self or just have VW come pick up the car and let them fix it. Any ideas? I'm sure they're not going to cover
the clutch. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, -Glen

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Most likely the adjusters at the tranny became misaglined. See this link:
Dieselgeek's Short Shifter install Directions They are for a shortshifter, but pretty well explain how to very accurately re-adjust the shifter mechanisim. The only special tool you need is a nail..... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MaxThrust

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta
Glen,
I just had the very same thing happen to me about a week ago. I was at the local VW dealership (Beaudry VW in Tucson, AZ rocks!), getting some work done. I had just gotten back from the dealership's manager with the service manager in tow. I wanted to personally thank these people for always stepping up to the plate and for treating me like gold with my 99.5 TDI Jetta that I didn't even buy from them. Anyway, the service manager was walking me to my car and thanking me for writing a nice letter then personally delivering it to his manager. We shook hands, I entered my car, started the car, attempted to get into reverse......not happening. I then realized that almost every gear was useless and the shift was flopping at odd angles. The service manager's face fell to the floor....he got me a car and told me he would take care of my car and get it delivered to me at work.

I talked to him later to let him know that I didn't hold him responsible, it was just bad timing....he didn't break that part. He didn't want to hear anything of it and simply told me it was a plastic linkage on the tranny that the cables from the shift attach. The part was maybe $30 and labor was a few minutes, neither of which was charged to me. (Have I mentioned that Beaudry VW in Tucson, AZ rocks?)

I mention this story, as it sounds like exactly what happened to me, but I lucked out and had it happen in front of the service manager on his property.

I would be inclined in your position to have the car towed to the dealership, letting them know that the shifter went whacko, but that you were stuck in traffic and had to limp to a place of safety. They might be less inclined to cover only the $30 piece and stick you with a clutch. I don't really condone cheating and lying, but in this case maybe telling the story as you did here, but emphasize the need to get to 'safety'. Besides, with so few miles and on the work commute one isn't always thinking clearly....(think cause and effect here.)

Just my $.02 worth.

Mike /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Glen_Pratt

Mike, Thanks for the info and advice. From VW's website they will cover the clutch if the vehicle has under
12,000 miles. At least that is good for me. Appreciate it. Regards, -Glen

MaxThrust

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta
Glen,
Please let us know how you make out with your dealership. Many tell of horror stories, but I have a local dealership that is awesome. Let's hope your experiences are more like mine in this regard.

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
[ QUOTE ]
MaxThrust said:
He didn't want to hear anything of it and simply told me it was a plastic linkage on the tranny that the cables from the shift attach. The part was maybe $30 and labor was a few minutes, neither of which was charged to me. (Have I mentioned that Beaudry VW in Tucson, AZ rocks?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Beautiful !!

Glen_Pratt

I called the VW 24 hour road side assistance number. They picked my car up Saturday night. It's getting towed to the dealer this morning. They're actually towing it to the dealer I bought the car from, which is like 60 miles away. I'll be at the dealer's service department at 8 A.M. I let you know what happens. Thanks for the all the info. -Glen /images/graemlins/eek.gif

jxpfeer

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Silver Jetta GLS, lux
oh man good luck on that. hope the dealer covers it for you.. the car is still under the bumper-to-bumper warranty rigth?

Glen_Pratt

Finally got my car today. The plastic clip that holds the shifter cable on the transmission shifter lever broke.
They road tested the car and say the clutch is alright. I drove the car home and it seems to be shifting
fine. The clutch seems to engage the same as it did previously. I'm going to see if I can get a micrometer
on the clutch and measure the clutch thickness. The dealer is Riverhead Bay Motors, Riverhead New York.
We shall see. So far so good. Thanks for the help. -Glen

MaxThrust

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta
That was exactly what happened to my car. I suppose I will be good for another 60k miles. I may even get more miles than the first part was able to make, as I am likely much easier on the gear shift than the previous owner.

Glad to hear it worked out for you.