Need advice: Replace or rebuild injection pump?

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
As you can see there are lately been lot of post made on forum with IP issue after someone tried resealing their IP and messed something up. So if I would make DIY howto I'm sure we will see lot more of threads with messed up IP after someone tried resealing it.
The overwhelming majority of people are successful when replacing the seals on the car following the video.

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
Josh, in your post about 2 failed pumps and 4 succesful who were you reffering to? the guy from youtube or me? to my knoweldge all the ones (10 or so I've done) that I completely resealed including shaft seal are all perfectly working fine without any problems for few years already.

No, sorry if it seemed that way:eek:

I was quoting this fella:

935racer
Authorized Vendor

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:36 pm Post subject: I can go through and give all the bosch technical names if anyone is interested. Also we need to put a disclaimer on this, there are few crucial parts of DISSASEMBLY not noted here that are integral to putting the pump together without the proper tools/equipment. IF you just take it apart and try to put it back together based on these pictures you are gonna be in for a dissapoinment. Also note that this is a ghetto rebuild, many of these parts should not be reused, but can be. Its a lot like tearing apart an engine and just re ringing it and maybe putting new bearings in. I can try to throw some tips out as I put the names in, but to do this right I would need to take pictures of the dissasembly process, which is almost as important as reassembly. I've got 4 pumps that I have completely dissambled and rebuilt that are running and driving perfectly, but the 2 pumps before those 4 good ones... well, lets just say I learned the hard way

Flimzy

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, 1986 TurboDiesel Jetta GL, 1997 Dodge RAM 3500 Cummins
So just an update for everyone... I bought the $300 IP from the guy in Austin on Craigslist. I had a friend in Austin pick it up, and he sent it down here with a friend.

VW called me yesterday to say the pump doesn't work. So now I'm ordering a new one from worldimpex.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
What doesn't work? car won't start ,IP won't pump fuel, timing set correctly,pump primed and bleed? Not to be a smart a$$ and I don't like to kick someone when they are down, but at this point I would think that it might be cheaper to trailer your car to runonbeer or buy him a ticket down to you . Just my thoughts, I'm sorry for you.

Flimzy

TDI
A fair question. I'm not sure "what doesn't work." The guy who called me spoke _very_ little English. I should go by and see the car myself I suppose.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Is there any way you can get the car out of there and bring it back north?

Flimzy

TDI
It's probably possible... I'm not sure what it would cost to tow it... I suspect it won't be cheap, though.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Any friends/relatives co-workers, with a pickup you can bribe,beg, borrow or steal, and get a u-haul dolly :)

Flimzy

TDI
I actually own a car dolly, and a Dodge RAM 3500... both in Kansas. The Dodge needs some transmission work before it can make the trip, though.

Down here I might be able to find someone with a truck, and rent a dolly as you suggest.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This might be your best and cheapest option at this point.

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
So just an update for everyone... I bought the $300 IP from the guy in Austin on Craigslist. I had a friend in Austin pick it up, and he sent it down here with a friend.

VW called me yesterday to say the pump doesn't work. So now I'm ordering a new one from worldimpex.
Well, it will be interesting to see what happens when the dealer tells you the new one you order doesn't work. :D

Sorry you're having this trouble. Why don't you look into flying runonbeer down, it's going to be cheaper in the long run, and he'll enjoy the mariachis. There used to be a fantastic outdoor restaurant called "coyote" or something like that, where they make the salsa table-side in a molcajete. Is that place still around?

runonbeer

TDI
You don't speak Spanish!

I love mariachis! Think they'll hassle me at security with 100lbs of tools?

Although at this point it sounds like I might need to bring a cylinder head down there too.

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
What doesn't work? car won't start ,IP won't pump fuel, timing set correctly,pump primed and bleed? Not to be a smart a$$ and I don't like to kick someone when they are down, but at this point I would think that it might be cheaper to trailer your car to runonbeer or buy him a ticket down to you . Just my thoughts, I'm sorry for you.

Perhaps the used pump was taken apart like the original one and is in little bits too. Sounds like those mechanics have too much time on their hands to tinker with other folks livelihoods! Poor guy :eek:

Flimzy

TDI
I do speak some Spanish, but I'm not very strong on many technical words :)

I don't know what kind of hassle you'd get for a bunch of tools. If you were to drive down, it wouldn't be a problem. If you fly, the extra weight would cost a lot, and they might give you a hassle at customs.

I'm sure I could find a place here for you to work on the car. It might be more economical for me to tow the car to Austin than to put you up for a couple days down here--unless you want a vacation in Mexico anyway :)

runonbeer

TDI
Obviously I'd rather just have the car towed here. As much as I like to fancy myself a freewheeling entrepreneur that can do as he pleases, I really must stick around here and do thy other TDI owners bidding. An extended road trip is just not in the cards for me at the present time. Not to mention the fact that it could very well be a totally separate problem with the car causing the no start and without bringing my entire shop plus jcrews' brain I wouldn't be able to fix it down there anyway.

aNUT has three pumps on the shelf that he's dying to unload and the one you've got there is probably a runner. I'll get her going at a sweetheart of a deal if you can manage to tug it up my way.

Last edited:

Flimzy

TDI
I got my car back on Wednesday, after having the original IP rebuilt by a local TDI "guy" and installed by the dealership. (He may buy the used one I got from Austin as well) It seems to work, although the engine sounds a little rougher than I'm accustomed to. I'm guessing the timing just isn't as precise as it was before. I also seem to have a new problem with the clutch slipping... I'll take it to the TDI guy tomorrow and see what he tells me about that, and see if he can adjust the timing as well.

Thanks to everyone who offered their help during this fiasco!

runonbeer

TDI
Probably need the injection quantity adjusted. Search for "hammer mod". Mod, unfortunately, is the term everyone around here has decided to use instead of adjustment

georgiawes

TDI
2000 jetta
I have a 2000 jetta tdi and my quanity adjuster is not ohming out right how detailed is that to replace and can it be done in the car