San Diego to New Orleans to San Antonio and home

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Anita and I are planning a road trip for Thanksgiving. Leaving on Friday night, Nov. 18, we need to be in San Antonio for Thanksgiving then be home (San Diego) on Nov. 27 so I can go to work.
Our goal is to see New Orleans before Thanksgiving. Here is our proposed route to New Orleans:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl
Our route home from San Antonio would be I-10 to I-8. This would be a straight shot, quick drive, we have done a number of times, with one overnight stay and refueling stop. Meaning leave San Antonio on Sat. morning and be home Sunday afternoon/evening.

Your comments and suggestions are requested!

Thanks

JJ

Last edited:

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Map didn't work John, try again.

You know I'm gonna say it, Carlsbad Caverns!
We spent time at the Caverns in December. Also Meteor Crater and Santa Fe, NM. All very nice. Very light snow in Santa Fe made for great pictures. But heavy overnight snow made for a bad drive to Flagstaff.

Think we will take I-20 thru Dallas on the way to New Orleans. Then I-10 to San Antonio for Thanksgiving and home to San Diego. We will be looking for a couple of "dive diners" on the way east. Suggestions???

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Post up some pictures John, you didn't give us any Montreal pics last trip =)

I can't recommend much, as we didn't eat anywhere worthwhile outside of Austin on the way home.

Places to eat in New Orleans (even though you didn't ask)

Parkway bakery for Poboys and Abita Satsuma Beer

Cochon Restaurant for some well made pork product. My favorite!

Camarones

Veteran Member
TDI
Formerly 2010 Golf TDI 6M 4dr UGM, 2001 Golf TDI
I really want to go to Carlsbad Caverns, especially since I've been checking out caves here in Missouri. The problem is you pretty much have to decide to just go there, its not really 'on the way' to anything. One of my coworkers in LA did it cheaply over a weekend a few weeks ago. Flew to El Paso and drove to the caverns, 4 people for under $800 total for the whole trip including car rental, food, hotel. But for me to fly there (El Paso) from St Louis is prohibitively expensive and there's nothing direct so the scheduling sucks. Which means I'd have to take a lot of time off of work.

I envy you people with time to take long road trips. The best I can muster is a trip to KC this weekend.