2007 GMC Canyon TDI Project

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
The smaller A/C line on the left should be the high pressure line going to the condenser, the one on the right looks like the suction line. Awesome project BTW!!!

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
yeah, the CJAA is sans balancer assembly unlike the earlier CBEA.... I've never had the pan off of one and it looks like it uses the smaller BRM style oil pump gear .... on transmission controllers here's a Car Craft article that compares several different control units...article is a couple of years old so there may be more choices now but it's an interesting read nonetheless ....
looks like a good article. I will give it a read tonight. :)

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
The smaller A/C line on the left should be the high pressure line going to the condenser, the one on the right looks like the suction line. Awesome project BTW!!!

I have a few more oddments to collect but should be ready to drop in soon. Will build driver side motor mount this weekend and do final install of all the adapter parts. Have all my intercooler piping and silicone boots etc in hand already so think it will be a pretty streamlined install when I pull the motor. The only thing that could make it a bit easier would be to have a second good tranny. I have a spare tranny but not too comfortable with the condition of it. The plan is to pull the SBC bell housing from it and put on the tranny in the truck (has only 88k on it). I came into a bit of a snag. The bolts are a Torx Plus T55 bit. I bought a snap-on but the bolts are ridiculously tight. Had all the teeth of the fastener snap off on the first bolt I tried. I was considering a new bellhousing..$65 on ebay but they will not ship to Canada so considering my options now.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
I've had really good luck removing stubborn torx/allen bolts with similar stripped bolt extractor bits like the above mentioned ones. I usually hammer the tightest extractor onto the outside of the screw and use an impact to break it loose.

p_ferlow

TDI
09' Jetta TDI Revo tune 6spd, 01' F250 7.3L "tuned"
Interesting writeup. Thanks for sharing.

Ya... wrecker motors are usually full of issues. My buddy work on VAG stuff all the time and some of the parts/motors from wreckers look like they've sat in a field in the rain for 10yrs and all the $50 connectors are broken. Seems an industry-wide problem to hire monkeys for wrecked vehicle disassembly. Hopefully that motor didn't run for too long without oil. The last motor he got from the wrecker had two bent valves so the wrecker took it apart, put two used valves in, new head gasket but re-used the head bolts (one time use stretch bolts). So in the end they had to take apart the motor again. Ridiculous.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Interesting writeup. Thanks for sharing.

Ya... wrecker motors are usually full of issues. My buddy work on VAG stuff all the time and some of the parts/motors from wreckers look like they've sat in a field in the rain for 10yrs and all the $50 connectors are broken. Seems an industry-wide problem to hire monkeys for wrecked vehicle disassembly. Hopefully that motor didn't run for too long without oil. The last motor he got from the wrecker had two bent valves so the wrecker took it apart, put two used valves in, new head gasket but re-used the head bolts (one time use stretch bolts). So in the end they had to take apart the motor again. Ridiculous.
yes. I have bought quit a few engines from wreckers and most times they have chopped up the harness and broken miscellaneous things.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Installed the new turbo oil feed line from RyanP. Fits good.

This is an adapter fitting for the turbo outlet so I can go to a standard hose.

Adapter made and old style thermostat set-up installed. Everything was a perfect fit. It is so much cleaner look and I don't have to plug a bunch of hose ends.

hmmm...not sure if the belt is the right length. Steering pulley will be a bit smaller but not sure it will be enough to make this work. Not sure where the issue is yet.

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
I am trying to make use of this OEM intercooler pipe with the MAP/IAT sensor. Might stick out too far but it is the current plan.

Adapter hose from turbo to intercooler line installed

The oil return fitting I made is not working out..a bit too long I think.

reworked it with a little cutting, grinding and silver solder

New oil return line. An10 fittings and hose. nice stuff!

got started on the passenger side motor mounts but had to fly out this afternoon.

nate0031

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
96 B4 Passat
Quick question, where did you source the new accessory bracket from? I'm going to need one of those too. I found a CJAA at a great price, that I'm swapping into an A6. Thanks!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
have you test fit the engine into the truck yet ?... if not, i wouldn't get too far ahead with fitting cooler hoses and the like until it's solidly mounted to frame and trans, looking good otherwise ;).... X2 on the PS bracket, where and how much are my questions ...

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Quick question, where did you source the new accessory bracket from? I'm going to need one of those too. I found a CJAA at a great price, that I'm swapping into an A6. Thanks!
I use to buy from a place called classic ve autoparts in germany but they stopped selling to north america. RyanP could get you a bracket quick and for a good price. I think my original costs was 76 Euro plus the belt idler and tensioner. That was 4 years ago now (for project insane, using a different bracket now on that project).

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
have you test fit the engine into the truck yet ?... if not, i wouldn't get too far ahead with fitting cooler hoses and the like until it's solidly mounted to frame and trans, looking good otherwise ;).... X2 on the PS bracket, where and how much are my questions ...
It is not test fit yet. :D I am more trying to work out all the bits I need for the install because that is what causes delays in projects, especially when living in the middle of nowhere and having no decent supply if anything I need in the biggest city we have.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
ok, ended up with some road blocks on the project. :rolleyes: I think the best resolution is moving the engine/tranny forward enough for the A/C pump to clear the rack and pinion assembly on the left side. I have also decided to use the Canyon A/C pump and steering pump. Andrew (2micron) is building me a couple adapters to make that happen. :D I sent him a 1 cyl TDI block, head and all the misc CR bits for messing around with this and his other projects. Will post some pictures in a bit.

ECU was sent back to Johan for a couple changes. Waiting for its return. I think he might be in Dubai racing or something right now because I havn't heard from him in a few weeks.

I will pull the engine as soon as I have these bits in my hands. :)

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Been away from this project for a long time...but it is slowly moving forward in the back ground. The steering rack issue did become a serious problem :mad: and after thinking about it for some time, I decided it was fine to move engine forward 6" :eek: and it also inspired me to use the canyon a/c pump and steering pump in almost identical factory position. :D
Andrew (2micron) came up with the layout and milled out some beautiful adapters for me. :cool: I should also point out this is all designed to work with the CBEA/CJAA accessory bracket.

This is what the new belt and accessories look like.

This is the A/C pump adapter bolted in place.

New idler set-up. Andrew came up with some nice steel idlers to replace the plastic factory idlers.

package received from Andrew complete with pulleys and belt

another view of the steering pump adapter

Got the ECU back from Johan a few months ago.
Looking at designing a new transmission mount similar to the low profile ones but this one has to mount close to the front. Pretty close to having the kinks worked out and will move forward in early spring I think. :)

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
those custom brackets look sweet ! on my taco project the decision to move the engine forward was almost gutwrenching, but when i finally committed everything fell into place, kudos for making the "move" !... btw, i may be interested in the audi CR accessory bracket if available ;) .... glad to see you moving forward on this :)

Last edited:

nate0031

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
96 B4 Passat
Jim, Frans can get one for you if TDISyncro is still using his. That's where I got mine. I believe RyanP can also get one for you.

Glad to see this moving! It'll keep me motivated, lol. I've got my motor in, exhaust made, inter-cooler tubing made, and accessories done. Luckily autozone carries a belt that fits perfectly. Spent altogether too much time studying and hacking up my wiring harness, but fingers crossed, I'll get it started this week. Your build will no doubt look prettier than mine though, lol.

Gotta love Andrews work. Beautiful stuff.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Thanks guys. :) Yes, moving the engine forward aggravated me for a couple months, then I got over it. The positive side is that it will be very easy to maintain in every regard. I love diesel power so excited to get this thing in and rolling. This truck is being built with the intension of year round driver, hauling payload, pulling trailers. I may switch to a 16" rim but wont go any bigger as I want a tall wall for the more rugged places I go. Hoping for a better solution to control the 6L80e in the near future...ultimately that is the transmission I want to drop in. I have it in my shop and it teases me every time I see it.
ok. PM me about the bracket. It is still on the engine and I had shoulder surgery not that long ago so cant pull wrenches yet..surgeon tells me a couple more months.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Wow, nice job on the adapters, it pays to have friends sometimes, lol.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Started back on the project this week but lost time because of a nasty winter storm on Friday/St/Sunday.

Here are some pics of progress...or changes. :)

Had to change my turbo drain line again to provide clearance for using the Canyon Steering pump in new location. I went to a M18x10AN fitting. Aluminum crush washer behind the fitting.

Backing up a bit to last fall for a moment. SBC bell housing was removed from old 4L60e. I plan on putting this on the 4L60e in the truck right now seeing that it is in minty condition.

The bolts were incredibly tight, ended stripping my cheaper tool, then my new Snap-On stripped the inside of the bolt. Welded on a bolt for easy extraction.

In order to make use of the factory canyon A/C, I switched back to a CBEA accessory bracket. This posed some issues for the factory motor mount...covering two of the main bolt holes, and not allowing adequate space.

I went to work with a die grinder...the aluminum cuts pretty quick so it was easy work.

Fabricated a new motor mount.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Replaced the cheap plastic factory idler with a steel one that Andrew found.

New oil drain line installed. Steering and A/C brackets installed. Cleaned up and finished motor mount on this side of engine.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Lets talk hoses!

In this picture, you will see the new water outlet installed on the back of the head. It has one outlet for the radiator and one for heater core (my finger is pointing to it). There is also a coolant heater attached to line coming off the oil cooler with a hose end waiting for a home, lets call that hose1, and then there are two more hose ends, one from other side of oil cooler, hose2, and one from nipple on block, hose3.

I could use a hand deciding which of the three spare hoses will be the other end from my heater core, and where I should tie-in the other two hoses (or eliminate one), etc.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Spent some time looking at the FMIC fitment today. Overall impression is the unit is a pretty good fit.

Grill is removed. Horn is obvious obstacle so I removed it first.

FMIC will roughly fit in this position.

Grill in place over FMIC. Need to gain about 1.5" to fit grill back in factory position.

There is a good location to penetrate core support on both sides of radiator.

Orientation of nozzles on FMIC will not work. I will have to cut them off and weld tubes on facing the core support.

I will replace this vertical support member; should be able to gain 1" with this change.

I will shave about 3/4" of the outer edges of the front grill. These last two mods will allow the grill to fit back in with no issues.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Transmission controller is properly installed now. Wires have cable armor on. I need to get back under there and put armor on the cable from the remote starter...whoever did it made a bit of a mess.

USS Controller. fully programmable shift points and torque converter lock-up characteristics from laptop. Can keep two tunes installed and toggled by switch.

Cable curled up under hood. Will tie them in, test and calibrate just before pulling the engine.