Decisions, decisions. Which vehicle to put the TDI in

mammonista

TDI
'83 Jetta 1.9 mTDI
Finally have my donor TDI engine out of the donor car and ready to start the long swap process. My dilemma? I have an '87 DIY Doka (formerly a Vanagon) and an '83 Jetta diesel coupe.
I just had the transaxle in 'Vanamo' rebuilt and fear the 1.9 td engine needs minor work done on the end of the crank. The Jetta is pretty much pristine condition and the 1.6 na diesel runs good but the pump leaks behind the cold start lever. The Jetta came from the factory with an auto trans and a 1.6td engine but the p.o. blew that motor and swapped in a 1.6na. At any rate I'm leaning towards putting the TDI engine in Vanomo with a Rover mechanical pump I sourced from Great Britain.
Here are my questions...
- Will the TDI block bolt directly up to the Van transaxle?, i.e. is the block the same on the 1.9 TDI engine as the IDI diesel?
- The donor Pasat had a 5-speed trans that worked well. Would that fit in the Jetta if I decide to use the TDI-M engine in that vehicle?
- How hard to fix the leaky pump on the 1.6 Jetta engine?
any help will be greatly appreciated.
mark

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
1983.5 Westfalia tdi (afn), with flipped 5 speed V6 (dvz) transmission
Put it in the vanagon, and if you have all the electronics include those too. It's very little work to put the computer in there. Well worth it for the vagcom ability (and not having to mess with that feeler gauge ever again!).

The engine will bolt right to the old idi transmission. Seems like it shouldn't be possible, but it works. Sounds like you already had a diesel in there so the motor mounts will all be the right thing too. Might run into turbo clearance issues, but that's a minor obstacle.

The tdi in a vanagon is just the best thing in the world. You won't regret it!

Andrew

mammonista

TDI
'83 Jetta 1.9 mTDI
Well I was already leaning towards putting the TDI in Vanomo, but I gotta say the thought of a nicely tuned TDI-m with the Rover 300tdi pump and slightly bigger injectors putting out 125hp and pushing the MK1 jetta which only weighs 2,000 lbs sounds like a lot of fun.
I guess that car will have to wait for another TDI donor car to come along.