"switchblade key"

revgov

Veteran Member
TDI
2012, 4-dr., Golf
\"switchblade key\"

an earlier post sez you can buy the key blanks on e-bay. that's a big place, where do i look? thanx

Rustynuts

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta 2.0ltr Sport TDI
\"switchblade key\"

You can only buy them if someones selling them, that's the good thing about Ebay! I've just checked the "Cars, Parts and Vehicles" section and there's none I can see.

Heres the link. Click me.

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather
\"switchblade key\"

key
here is one, and uncut to boot
I purchased one off Ebay uncut and paid 50 bucks. Brand new in the VW box with tags. Crack open yours and as long as the numbers match the new one you're set. You'll need Vag Com to get the car to recognize the new key so the car will actually run for longer than 2 seconds
. My dealer cut my new blank for free, I just brought the original in to trace. Took 30 seconds to cut. I've read here that some have been asked to pay 25-60 bucks for them to cut it, thats just mean. It's not like they are using a freaking laser.

Good luck
Dave
Remember: this includes the entire fob, both halves with an uncut key. Just like the ones you got with the car when new. Can't beat fifty bucks

revgov

Veteran Member
TDI
2012, 4-dr., Golf
\"switchblade key\"

Thanks to all who took the time to reply to my inquiry. Peavey's suggestion of American Auto Locks, looks like the place to go. Ron

Pevey

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, Tornado Red
\"switchblade key\"

Remember this is for the metal key part only, you still need the plastic fob part which you can get off ebay or somewhere else. I believe there are two main styles, the more rounded one is for the older mark IV Jetta/Golf/NB 99-2000.
Do some research before buying one.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
\"switchblade key\"

BUYER BEWARE.... of EBAY seller "lockyourcar"

I hate to flame anybody like this but... I was looking for the same thing on ebay and came across one person today who sells lots of them it seems. The persons ebay name is "lockyourcar" (only fitting), but when i was reading through is feedback i found that thousands of them were made by the same person!!!! As i did a little more looking i found that there seemed to be a ring of 3 ebay accounts that left tons of feedback for each other. This was a defenite red flag in my book which kept me from buying from him. I filed a fraud report with Ebay for them to investigate and am awaiting a response.

highhilltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta GLS
\"switchblade key\"

Typically, multiple feedbacks from the same user doesn't count toward the overall feedback rating more than once. I've sold five auctions to the same person and they gave me five feedbacks which showed-up in my detail. However, my feedback score only increased by 1.

TheLongshot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon '03 Reflex Silver
\"switchblade key\"

What I did was call Impex and they cut a key for me. I think the switchblades there are about $55. I bought my FOB on e-bay.

Jason

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather
\"switchblade key\"

BUYER BEWARE.... of EBAY seller "lockyourcar"
I actually didn't buy from this guy. The fella I bought from was very good, top knotch. Like I posted before, the entire remote (both halves) including the uncut blank for 50 bucks. Mine is an 01', I believe the newer fobs are a few bucks more. At least you won't pay 55 just for the blank key, then have to track down and buy the fob to attach it to. If anyone wants to contact the guy I bought from let me know. I've passed him on to another member before without a hitch.

Dave

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
\"switchblade key\"

www.impexfap.com 57.98 make sure you have your vin number and does not hurt to have the key code to just to compare. Sold one to CT Friday. They are nonreturnable so make sure the numbers are correct.

SKM348

TDI
Golf-GLS, 2003, White
\"switchblade key\"

Price looks right for the blank.If the dealer will cut one for me what's next? Do they still have to program it or will the plain key open the door and start the car? Mine is a 2003 Golf.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
\"switchblade key\"

Plain key can open the door, but you need the chip to start the car. The valet key (won't open trunk / hatchbacks or the glove compartment) works quite well as 2nd / 3rd key . The valet key from my dealer ran $90.