turbo-less straight pipe

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Hi all,
I straight piped my car the other day because the exhaust rusted out right behind the cat, so i fixed that and removed the muffler just for something fun to do. I added a small section of flex pipe behind the rear axle and another piece of pipe to form the exhaust exit. Everything is back to normal now except for the fact that there isn't any turbo sound all i hear is a hollow raspy noise, and no swooshing sound when i give it the gun though there is a bit of turbo dumping sound when i let off but it's hardly there. I am running stock cat back 2 1/4" pipe. Is there any reason i am not hearing anything? I have full power, and when i am accelerating hard then clutch-it i hear it down spool but that's it. I have searched the forum and have not come across a thread with somebody having the same issue. All ideas regarding this issue are appreciated
Thank you,
GlowBugTDI

Last edited:

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I read this post as I believed it was a "turbo delete" post. Is the turbo sound less because you no longer have an exhaust very near where yo sit?
Quite awhile back I had a loose exhaust flange and the whistle/spool sound could be heard 4 houses away down my street.
I tightened the bolts up as the sound was annoying.

Last edited:

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I have a straight pipe from the turbo and can definitely hear the turbo. I also ran the tailpipe out the drivers side back up light rather than towards the ground.

The swooshing sound is probably the exhaust rushing past the flex pipe ribs, a connector or something inside the system that the exhaust is rushing by.

Do you still have the resonator installed. You should be able to hear a little turbo whine without the muffler.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a straight pipe from the turbo and can definitely hear the turbo. I also ran the tailpipe out the drivers side back up light rather than towards the ground.
The swooshing sound is probably the exhaust rushing past the flex pipe ribs, a connector or something inside the system that the exhaust is rushing by.
Do you still have the resonator installed. You should be able to hear a little turbo whine without the muffler.
I can hear the turbo on cold start but soon as it warms up its not there. I have it straight out the back I didn't put on a down turn because i have read it can cause the exhaust to hit the pavement and sound funny. I was originally thinking it may have been the flex pipe so i took it off and the same thing no turbo whistle. If i were to to delete a certain "can" in the exhaust route (the one directly behind the turbo) would that improve the turbo whine? because right now it sounds roughly the same as with the muffler. Also i don't believe my car has a resonator, and if it does i don't see it. All i see is turbo, cat, and a few feet of exhaust pipe to the boot where it exits.
Thank you,
GlowBug

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Mongler - that looks like a blast!

When I start mine up, it barks a bit and then the turbo starts to engage as I raise the RPM's The whine gets louder and eventually, it sounds like a big cummins truck.

I should record it. I haven't heard another TDI that sounds like it. But maybe it is because the tailpipe comes out and directs the sound outwards rather than down like most.

I don't know why it sounds the way it does.

I have only one reservation to my exhaust and that is the drone when cruising over 70. I usually drive the bug closer to 65mph because that speed works best with the trailer.

I had the exhaust made as well as the downpipe when I put the VNT17 in. The exhaust is a work of art made by HPA Motorsports in BC.

Do you still have your EGR valve? Is your intake manifold clogged up?

Can you make a video from the back with the car revving up or even driving away?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
PB_NB
PD150 intake, ported head, 764's gt2052, and so on and so on. There is a list in the desription and here on the forums as well.
I have a video from back when i did the pipe work of its first start up, but that was with the stock K03. The K03 sounded SICK AF with the 3" from the stock pipe before the CAT. More wirly of a sound.
my 3" blows smoke rings, like hundreds of them a second up to 25~mph before the wind is too strong.
PROTIP, DO NOT WRAP your pipes, my set up is garbage now, it all rusted out because i did not treat them and the wrap trapped moisture.
I didnt know about the exhaust issue until after i saw this video myself, look under the car, NOT GOOD, EGT's of upwards around 1600 cant be good under the hood!

Last edited:

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Unfortunately i don't know how to upload a video onto the forum without putting it on youtube or something first. I have done the EGR delete, and cleaned the intake a couple months ago so I should be good there. Fun fact by disabling the anti-shudder valve in the egr and setting it around 3/4 you can roll coal like any diesel 4x4 out there :rolleyes:.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZWX8yO3cgE

I run a 3" strait pipe from my GT2052 and i hear PLENTY of sound from it.

AND THIS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soqc0Ye0hgo
That sounds great, and looks like a lot of fun. I have read that with 3" the turbo spooling sound starts drowning out, and isn't really noticeable so it's great to hear it spooling on your car. maybe I should just get a turbo back kit, so that it looks nice and professional. Anybody have recommendations for price to quality ratio?
Thanks
GlowbugTDI

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
When I did my exhaust, i priced it down to $90 bucks for the pipe from a local muffler shop. My $200 Lincoln flux core welder did a fine job. Get good at welding. It takes a lot of patience and practice. My local muffler shop said they would weld it all up for me if I mocked it up, said they would weld it for $450.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
ok, that sounds cheaper than the kits. I'll definitely have to look into that this spring after second semester is over.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
Hi all,
I straight piped my car the other day because the exhaust rusted out right behind the cat, so i fixed that and removed the muffler just for something fun to do. I added a small section of flex pipe behind the rear axle and another piece of pipe to form the exhaust exit. Everything is back to normal now except for the fact that there isn't any turbo sound all i hear is a hollow raspy noise, and no swooshing sound when i give it the gun though there is a bit of turbo dumping sound when i let off but it's hardly there. I am running stock cat back 2 1/4" pipe. Is there any reason i am not hearing anything? I have full power, and when i am accelerating hard then clutch-it i hear it down spool but that's it. I have searched the forum and have not come across a thread with somebody having the same issue. All ideas regarding this issue are appreciated
Thank you,
GlowBugTDI
the cat will kill sound some.

I straight piped my BRM TDI and ran no muffler or resonator. I could hear the turbo through the exhaust if I put my ear next to the tail pipe. at low speed with the window down I could hear the turbo spool up but it was quickly drowned out by the wind noise.

on my EA288 I never hear it spool which is disappointing. I can only hear it some times coming off of spool

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
the cat will kill sound some.
I straight piped my BRM TDI and ran no muffler or resonator. I could hear the turbo through the exhaust if I put my ear next to the tail pipe. at low speed with the window down I could hear the turbo spool up but it was quickly drowned out by the wind noise.
on my EA288 I never hear it spool which is disappointing. I can only hear it some times coming off of spool
Ya thats what i am hearing, i will keep working on it until i find that nice sound pitch. Come spring I'll probably cut the cat out just to see if that gives better spooling, but then i won't have a cat (not extremely legal).
Has anyone put a resonator exhaust tip on? Any results on sound difference? Or glass packs? I know resonator tips make diesel trucks sound better, but don't know how it would sound on a 1.9. Thanks for all the advise!!

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I have only ridden in one tdi that was straight piped, and for me the drone on the freeway was unbearable. There are many here with just a high-flow Cat and no muffler, and have no complaint about drone noise.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I just posted my first youtube video.

The Beetle has been sitting for a while and the battery was flat. I just started and the engine was very cold.

Rev'd it up to about 1,900 rpm in the video.

Strange sounding don't you think?

https://youtu.be/UJfpXR6mtgM

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Sounds like a diesel to me :) . Do a hard acceleration pass by the camera for your next video.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I just posted my first youtube video.
The Beetle has been sitting for a while and the battery was flat. I just started and the engine was very cold.
Rev'd it up to about 1,900 rpm in the video.
Strange sounding don't you think?
https://youtu.be/UJfpXR6mtgM
Sounds raspy like mine does, but a bit louder and has a bit of a whistle to it at higher RPM. Could just be the way the camera is picking up sound, otherwise at idle it sounds a lot like mine. I like how you exited the exhaust through the reverse light.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
The tail pipe exit hole idea came from an Audi R8 that has both pipes coming out the bumper. Would be cooler to extend the pipe to the other reverse light hole and make it look like dual exhaust.

The whistle is there all the time but it is hard to tell in the crappy video. A GoPro mounted to the car might be better like Mongler's videos. Then I can drive around making lots of noise.

The turbo does do a good job of cutting the noise level.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
The tail pipe exit hole idea came from an Audi R8 that has both pipes coming out the bumper. Would be cooler to extend the pipe to the other reverse light hole and make it look like dual exhaust.
The whistle is there all the time but it is hard to tell in the crappy video. A GoPro mounted to the car might be better like Mongler's videos. Then I can drive around making lots of noise.
The turbo does do a good job of cutting the noise level.
The dual pipe look would probably look great. I don't know what you have for laws out there, but here in MN I think we are required to have at least one reverse light. Though if I were to try it I could find some where else to put the reverse light i'd just have to try and make it look professional. Would also have to make sure there's enough room on the right side, and that the piping doesn't hang to low. Then again I have a whole list of things that I want to fix/upgrade on my car come summertime.
I once read that after you start upgrading it's really hard to stop, unfortunately for my wallet I had just finished my first mod:rolleyes: