Mk7 Golf Mods/Power Potential

Dieselspool

TDI
2001 ALH Jetta
It’s getting time to retire my ‘01 Jetta, too many issues and it’s getting to be more of a financial burden than anything. Started looking at 2015 Golfs and in my area at least, they can be had for not a whole lot. Just curious what are the bread and butter mods for mk7’s? And what kind of power can be had from them? Power is no doubt up from my ALH, but what’s a mild to moderate tune/upgraded mk7 gonna be capable of?? Thanks!

Amphibious699

TDI
1.9 Seat Ibiza Cupra (PD160), Stock Cam, Stock Head, 120% Firad Injectors, BT GTB2260v
It’s getting time to retire my ‘01 Jetta, too many issues and it’s getting to be more of a financial burden than anything. Started looking at 2015 Golfs and in my area at least, they can be had for not a whole lot. Just curious what are the bread and butter mods for mk7’s? And what kind of power can be had from them? Power is no doubt up from my ALH, but what’s a mild to moderate tune/upgraded mk7 gonna be capable of?? Thanks!

With a good stage 2 map and supporting mods you can be looking 160 to 170hp.

Just with a stage 1 map you looking at the 140hp mark

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
With a good stage 2 map and supporting mods you can be looking 160 to 170hp.

Just with a stage 1 map you looking at the 140hp mark
Please disregard this statement, clearly the TDIs sold in his neck of the woods are different than ours.

Our 2015s roll out of the factory with 150hp.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Odd the CR 2.0 Gen3's make *150hp from the factory (pre dieselgate emissions mod). Guess those in south america may be a little de-tuned or you're referencing a 1.4 TDI.

As for a tune, for the NAR Gen3 looks like gain of 30hp and around 50-60trqs, so you'd be lookint at around 170+ hp and 300trqs just from software alone.

Kerma and Malone tuners are the biggest names used here both use the same hand held tuners and their files are slightly different, both will get you great results from the comfort of your garage.

Malone is DPF delete friendly, Kerma isn't.

Amphibious699

TDI
1.9 Seat Ibiza Cupra (PD160), Stock Cam, Stock Head, 120% Firad Injectors, BT GTB2260v
Please disregard this statement, clearly the TDIs sold in his neck of the woods are different than ours.

Our 2015s roll out of the factory with 150hp.
My bad:( Apologies for this.

As above we are in two difference continents... Forgot about that one:cool:

Ours out the factory roll out with 105 to 115hp

Last edited:

Dieselspool

TDI
2001 ALH Jetta
On that note, how extensive and expensive is a dpf delete?? And will it get me around the need for DEF. I’m not so well versed in these new diesel emissions stuff...used to my ALH’s equipment...

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If I were contemplating a 2015, I would keep it 100% stock, enjoy whatever peace of mind the warranty brings you (you'll likely need it), and once that is up, decide if you want to mess with modding it.

Right out of the box it is pretty good power wise. If you are wanting to get by on the cheap, keep your ALH in good order, and motor on. That's what I am doing.

Angus1

TDI
'15 GSW TDI 6MT
I have a 15 golf sportwagen 6mt. I have not had it on a dyno yet. I'm told 220 hp 380 to 400 tq. My emission are still complete currently. I'm running a stage 3 plus tune from kerma and a cr190 turbo. I'm pretty happy. I'd like a little more, but I always want more.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
With cp3 pump, manifold and 2260 +injectors you are looking at 290+hp and lots of torque
We are making one in january. I let u know how it goes

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I have a 15 golf sportwagen 6mt. I have not had it on a dyno yet. I'm told 220 hp 380 to 400 tq. My emission are still complete currently. I'm running a stage 3 plus tune from kerma and a cr190 turbo. I'm pretty happy. I'd like a little more, but I always want more.
I'm guessing it'll be a little lower. A CKRA with same turbo did 205hp/350tq when fixmyeuro was still selling it (don't see it listed there any longer). Not doubting Kerma's ability at all, I would really like to see a dyno on that thing with emissions equipment still in place!

Dieselspool, get a tune and be done. That warranty is sweet! I bought mine used and was not going to put the stock equipment back in place just for the small amount VW would have given me for phase 2. As Mac said, 2260 should get you near 300hp and likely save the DMF as it spools just a bit later. I may go that route down the road if I ever get tired of the 1752. Hoping to have this tune done and dynoed when malone is back from holiday.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
That's a GTB2260 turbo.
The CR190 (GTD1449vz) is what came stock with the GTD over in Europe.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
If I were contemplating a 2015, I would keep it 100% stock, enjoy whatever peace of mind the warranty brings you (you'll likely need it), and once that is up, decide if you want to mess with modding it.
Right out of the box it is pretty good power wise. If you are wanting to get by on the cheap, keep your ALH in good order, and motor on. That's what I am doing.
Heed this sound advice if you're are sincere instead of looking for confirmation of what you may have already set your mind to do.

UK_TDI_190

Hi All, Wishing you all a Happy New Year from the NW of the UK!

I have a 2003 ARL with a hybrid turbo and bits giving me around 220bhp with just enuf torques to stop me from ruining the clutch and flywheel. Ive had the car for 13 years and its been every car I ever wanted and with 50mpg easily achieved.

However, its started to age a bit now with the miles and so I have upgraded to another Golf - 2015 Mk7 150 TDi with DSG (CRBC Engine with no ad-blue).

I'm not saying that the new golf is no good but it is lacking a bit in the performance division and hence my call to this forum to ask what can be done.

I did consider the GTD turbo which I am told is a straight bolt-on. However, my mechanic has advised me that this engine is a pain to work on due to lack of space and that a turbo removal might require the engine to be moved out of the bay - which seems a bit drastic for a 30k mile car.

So.. what are my options?
How easy is the EGR removal?
Is it really worth messing about with a perfectly good DPF?
Should I opt for the GTD turbo or go all out on a hybrid (which might be a few years yet)?

I'm going to upgrade the brakes from the Golf R as the current brakes are no where near good enuf to stop this 1880kg beast! Again - does anyone know if I need the whole calipers, carriers and discs or will just the carriers and discs do the job?

There doesn't seem to be anywhere near as much advice on these new CR engines as there is on the old PD ones.. hopefully the forums will catch up soon..

BTW.. Ive still got the Mk4 ;-)

Thanks all.

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
i have a 15 deleted with stage 2 from malone. no complaints- the MPG gains are impressive as well. its enough (for the most part).... but like you, i want more. its not happening though :)

UK_TDI_190

CRBC DPF Removal

Ive looked at the Malone DPF delete and thats exactly what I'm looking for.. but I need more info..

How easy/difficult was it to remove the turbo? Do you know if they pulled it from the top of the engine or from the bottom?

Where does the EGR get blanked from?

I only want to remove the DPF unit and leave the rest of the exhaust / muffler system as is so it should be easier.

Do you need to remove the ECU to map it and remove codes?

Thanks.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Turbo is very easy to remove on the MK7, remove and install from top. LP EGR intake is integrated into the turbo, so you just put a rubber cap on and clamp in place. Xman turbos has a CR190 hybrid with 56mm compressor wheel that would be the best bang for your money in my opinion.

ECU is flashed over OBD port.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

UK_TDI_190

EGR Delete

Hi, I will be changing the turbo and doing the dpf delete.. whats the best/easiest way to perform the EGR delete?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi, I will be changing the turbo and doing the dpf delete.. whats the best/easiest way to perform the EGR delete?
Downpipe should include a brass elbow to connect the in/out coolant hoses after removing. Just find a rubber cap to place over the EGR inlet on the turbo and tune will take care of the rest. Have fun with that triple square bolt holding the EGR cooler bracket to the block :)