POLL: TDI owners vs. non-owners

jasonlava

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle GLS TDI, 2003, White
I don't own one yet but will soon.

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://forums.tdiclub.com/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1058391111jasonlava">

Do you own a TDI?
<input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />I own a TDI and I love it!
<input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />I own a TDI and I don't want it anymore
<input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />I don't own a TDI but I want one and working to get one
<input type="radio" name="option" value="4" />I don't own a TDI and don't plan on getting one... just lurking
<INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

Vectorer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premo
I own (2) two.

For Those In The Market For A New TDI Dept: Make your best deal now...don't wait for the '04s. I can't remember the last time I've seen so many new VW's sitting on dealer lots. They're really packing them in. During the last 2 weeks I've visited 5 different lots in search for the TDI that could work for Mrs. Vectorer, RN... VERY pleased with what we found and with the final deal...and it's not even the end of the month/quarter. I casually asked "how'z business?" to a salesman at a lot other than where I bought. His response with a glum look, "Not good.", read: real bad!

If you can find what you want on the lots, hang in there for your best deal. And good luck.

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
There needs to be a choice between the first two... I own a TDI, I still want it, but I don't "love" it. There's no way I could "love" a car that rattles and squeaks so much. VW could learn a thing or two from Honda / Toyota in that area.

schnoopay

TDI
2000 Golf GLS
That's odd as my 2000 Golf with 80K on it rattle much less (it has one damned rattle, and I can't find it) than my friend's 2002 Accord with around 30k. Can't vouch for Toyota really though, the only one I have personal experience with rattles like mad but that is because the owner put in 3 12" subs that he turned the amps ALL THE WAY up on. Really sounds horrible, and his car is nothing but loose bolts.

BawlsyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, someday a getta, 2001, baltic green
There needs to be a choice between the first two... I own a TDI, I still want it, but I don't "love" it. There's no way I could "love" a car that rattles and squeaks so much. VW could learn a thing or two from Honda / Toyota in that area.
some people weren't made to own VW's

Oh, and Have a TDi and LOVE it!

Lightman

Veteran Member
LOl don't blame the guy for VW's crappy quality control or design. Mine rattles all over the place, and has since the day I drove it off the lot new. I will also say my MB has a few rattles, however, they are due to some jackass hiting me with his van a few years back, while I was parked

As much of a total POS it was, my tahoe never had a single rattle in 114k miles. Towing, offroading, and crappy northern roads, never a rattle. It was nice. Hard to swallow paying for these 'cool' German cars and having them rattle..

I'm the one who clicked I have a TDI and dont' want it anymore, ha! The odd one out. I however LOVE my tdi regardless of rattles. It just happens to not fit my personal needs in a vehicle, and I unfortunately have to sell it. Oh well, someone will get lucky with a perfectly maintained tdi.

Kevin Rhodes

TDI
'17 GTI Sport
I've said this before and I will say this again, no matter how much VW swears that all their assembly plants have the same quality level, the Mexican made VW's rattle more than the Brazilian or German. When I bought my Golf, I test drove every combination of body style and engine from 2.0 Beetle to VR6 Jetta Wagon, in some case multiple times. Every one of the Mexican cars rattled brand new on the lot, none of the others did. My Golf has 26K on it now, and the only rattle is a very faint one when the sunroof is open. My local dealer is more than willing to fix it, but are quite truthful that pulling the whole interior apart may well result in more rattle so I am willing to live with it.

I love everything about my car other than what it cost and what it costs in insurance. But I am cheap...

Kevin Rhodes
Westbrook, Maine
02 Golf GLS TDI

PlatinumGLS

Veteran Member
Wanna talk about rattles? I have a 96 Trans Am (made in Canada) and it has been a rattler since I bought it in 98 with 30,000 miles...the LT1 and price made up for it though

So far my Jetta has been pretty "tight" but then again I have only had a week and it only has ~500 miles on it

kenny

TDI
Jetta, 1999 (A3) Silver
Rattles? My 99 A3 has 0 rattles, at about 110K on the clock. Best vehicle for lack of rattles I've ever owned!

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
My Brazilian Golf has ZERO rattles. It's disheartening to hear when such an ancillary problem has such a dramatic effect on owner satisfaction. VW needs a QC assurance program put in place for this 'shot in the foot' problem.

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
some people weren't made to own VW's

Oh, and Have a TDi and LOVE it!
Let's see... I'm not "made" to own a VW because I don't like the fact that the car has a lot of rattles & squeaks? Are you implying that one should EXPECT a new 20K+ VW to rattle? And if you are, just what are you saying about VW quality? Do the designers & engineers who produce these fine machines purposely design them to rattle? What a crock. A new $20,000+ car shouldn't rattle no matter whether it is a VW, a Honda, or a Buick. Volkswagen is currently making an attempt to move upscale. Are the new $50,000 VWs going to have rattles designed into them as well? Saying that someone is not "made" to own a VW because they don't appreciate the rattles and squeaks in their particular car is crap. Geez!

pudsucker

whoa, easy there chuck, i think that vein on your 4head is gonna pop
jus ignore the guy, he doesn't know what he's talkin about anyway...

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
whoa, easy there chuck, i think that vein on your 4head is gonna pop
jus ignore the guy, he doesn't know what he's talkin about anyway...
and after being around here for five days you do?

bawlsy's point is not that he should not care about such things, but that one characteristic about vw's is that they tend to require more tweaking and attention on the part of the owner. in this case, if it rattles that much, i would take it to the dealer and see if i couldn't get things fixed. rattles don't mean poor car design, they mean someone needs to track them down. tinkering. if it's not rattles, there's often something else. vws like attention. what bawlsy here is saying is that if you don't want to give your car that attention (nothing wrong with that, many folks don't really care that much about getting from a to b) then a toyota or honda is more suitable. it doesn't mean vws are substandard, just different. given a little attention they will go forever, and drive very well. unfortunately there are many here who didn't buy a vw, they bought a diesel, and so aren't really cool about how the remaining vw-ness of their car.

just my .02.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Get a car with a sunroof , it has a much more rigged body . This has always been the fact on a high mile VW's , if you are going to keep one of these for high miles than only buy one with a factory sunroof . Then no rattles , at least less rattles .