Basic Timing belt question

zootman

TDI
2005 Jetta wagon TDI
Good morning everyone! I drive a 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon. Quick question. Its been 100k since I had my timing belt changed. Is it a "givin" that I get it changed now/soon or if, upon inspection, it looks OK then let it ride and keep driving. Thanks in advance.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Yes, have a TB service done, to include all the associated items.

The belt might last twice the stated service life, but if a roller (etc) along the path fails, you may be facing a catastrophic engine loss that was easily preventable by scheduled maintenance.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That belt is a lot like a light bulb. It will "look" fine right up to the point it doesn't. That is why there is a specified interval for replacement.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
If the car is in good condition and you expect to get many tens of thousands of miles more use from it, do it now. Otherwise, it's getting a bit long in the tooth and $1000 in maintenance might not be the best investment.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Replacement was due on your car at 80K miles. VW changed the belt change interval to 80K miles several years ago.

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GLS 5 speed
I am due for my sixth timing belt on my car as I near 600,000 miles. Long in the tooth is an odd phrase. Change the belt regularly and it will not be long in the tooth. Hee Hee. Some parts of the country do not have rust issues so a car can go as long as you want it to go. A timing belt here, new control arms there, new tires every 80,000 miles and the car keeps rolling. My truck only has 185,000 miles on it. It could be good till I die sometime in the next 40 years.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The phrase has it's origins in the practice of judging a horse's age by looking at its teeth. A timing belt is not a time machine, though I take your point about the road salt. If the OP has managed to avoid the salt flats, his car might be in excellent condition and well worth the maintenance costs associated with older cars. That calculus can change dramatically when the owner is able/willing to do much of the labor themselves.