22" Lightbar

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Hi all I picked up a 22" light bar for my Mk4 Jetta! I am thinking I can install it in the bottom center grill. Has anyone done this and have any mounting suggestions / techniques?! As well any input on the best way to wire it!? It came with a switch and a relay, I think it's a 270w.

Thanks in advance!

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I can't think of much with any substance to mount it to. Mostly plastic bumper there without creating complications removing the bumper cover.
So as far as wiring it I recommend a water proof plug you can tuck in the bumper, that way when you want to remove the bumper cover it is easy to disassemble.
I would recommend following the engine loom up from the battery and in through the rain tray. I used a plastic straw for a pump to feed the wire through with the loom, and then taped it for a good water proof seal.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
There's a hot lug under the dash that should carry the load, as for going through the firewall, the more time you spend doing it right the less likely you'll get water dripping on your accel pedal and some wonky codes to deal with...how do I know.

For the bracket, you could possibly weld something to the back or bottom of the crash bar to form a C shape and make a solid mount. I don't know how you would make it easy or quick to disconnect, the water proof plug us a must as Eddieleephd suggested. What I'd do is weld some nuts on the back of the mount and just use a 10mm bolt in a stainless flavor...

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi

I thought about mounting lights in the same area you're thinking of and the only thing that I could come up with was making a steel bar across the opening into vertical uprights and then running bolts through the plastic bumper fascia into the light bar behind it into the vertical uprights.... imagine the letter H with the horizontal bar stretch really far across the grill opening to mount lights to and the vertical parts of the h on the outside of the grill opening area and using boats with large Fender washers cut through the bumper cover to mount it.... I'm guessing you could see what I'm thinking but I know a picture would be better but for whatever reason pictures are hard to put up on this forum.

Andrew

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
K thx eddieleephd and wildchild! I will definitely use the waterproof plug. As far as mounting I might just have to take the bumper off and see what all is there. As for wiring do you think could utilize my euroswitch? It has the fogs options etc but I don't have them wired up. Think I could use the fogs or rear fogs setting for the light bar?

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Thanks Andrew! I do know what your trying to say I think cause I thought of a similar way. Ultimately I'll need to take things all apart and go from there I think!

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Have you considered something like this (make or buy)?
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=492637
Yes I saw those! It's a good idea and potentially might have to make one with the help of a friend with welder.

On a side note any ideas for a good cover for the light when not in use? I thought what would be cool if I can mount the light in the center grill then make a makeshift European style license plate to cover it up!

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
K thx eddieleephd and wildchild! I will definitely use the waterproof plug. As far as mounting I might just have to take the bumper off and see what all is there. As for wiring do you think could utilize my euroswitch? It has the fogs options etc but I don't have them wired up. Think I could use the fogs or rear fogs setting for the light bar?
Just make sure you use that to trigger the relay for the light bar, not direct wire the power thru the switch.

Yes I saw those! It's a good idea and potentially might have to make one with the help of a friend with welder.

On a side note any ideas for a good cover for the light when not in use? I thought what would be cool if I can mount the light in the center grill then make a makeshift European style license plate to cover it up!
If you're going to make your own, you could make the front bar as a slip-on with pins to the brace/bracket attaching to the front core support. Make sense?

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds

You'll need to use a relay but you could in theory use the fog light switch on the euro switch...

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Just make sure you use that to trigger the relay for the light bar, not direct wire the power thru the switch.

If you're going to make your own, you could make the front bar as a slip-on with pins to the brace/bracket attaching to the front core support. Make sense?
Ok thanks. Do you mean like pins like a quick release for taking the bar on and off?

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
You'll need to use a relay but you could in theory use the fog light switch on the euro switch...

Ok thanks. The euroswitch would be nice and clean. Part of me also likes the idea of a complete separate switch in regards to safety. Just like avoiding a switch malfunction and blinding someone.

Does anyone have a diagram or anything of what the wiring should look like? Like circuit type diagram? What would be the best way to bench test the bar before installing ensuring it works? I should be able to figure it out but there was no paperwork with the bar

carl20320

TDI
2004 Mk4 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
My son did this on his 2006 Golf. He mounted his to the bottom of the radiator core support. He did mentioned he had to cut the brackets down a little but he did it all in an afternoon. He said he will get under the car and take pics later today once he gets off work. He used a separate switch but not sure if that is the best option. He has hit his switch with his knee before and ended up with a dead battery.

Definitely wire in with a relay, especially if you are going to use your Euro switch.

Another friend did the same thing in his Jetta. He used a relay into his high beams so his light bar came on when he turned his high beams on.

He's the pic he sent me from when he did the install.

Last edited:

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Mounted mine behind the grill, using the crash support, its solid metal.

Made two tabs that extended the light down to center in the grill. I'll post pics later maybe.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
My son did this on his 2006 Golf. He mounted his to the bottom of the radiator core support. He did mentioned he had to cut the brackets down a little but he did it all in an afternoon. He said he will get under the car and take pics later today once he gets off work. He used a separate switch but not sure if that is the best option. He has hit his switch with his knee before and ended up with a dead battery.

Definitely wire in with a relay, especially if you are going to use your Euro switch.

Another friend did the same thing in his Jetta. He used a relay into his high beams so his light bar came on when he turned his high beams on.

He's the pic he sent me from when he did the install.
Hey awesome thanks for this!

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Which grille? Where is the crash support located?
Grabbing pics here in a moment. Will likely post them and then get on my comp to resize them.
Its in the lower center grill. The metal bar, behind the bumper that the styrophone sits infront of.

Hard access, and not a lot of room for error; but you drill a hole and use nuts and bolts.
Depending on your light, you may only need afew washers to align it in the grill, or a whole bracket like mine(because the light mounts were shallow)

Its ran through a relay,directly to the battery; switch is located inside on the dash, next to the emergency flashers.
First pic is the old setup, two 9.5" lights, so i could point them toward to outside of the roadway. Then i went to the 20,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077837LX8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

The read squiggly is the general shape of my home made bracket; the yellow arrow points to it... Its 1" or 1.5" wide steel.

Last edited:

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Grabbing pics here in a moment. Will likely post them and then get on my comp to resize them.
Its in the lower center grill. The metal bar, behind the bumper that the styrophone sits infront of.

Hard access, and not a lot of room for error; but you drill a hole and use nuts and bolts.
Depending on your light, you may only need afew washers to align it in the grill, or a whole bracket like mine(because the light mounts were shallow)

Its ran through a relay,directly to the battery; switch is located inside on the dash, next to the emergency flashers.
First pic is the old setup, two 9.5" lights, so i could point them toward to outside of the roadway. Then i went to the 20,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077837LX8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

The read squiggly is the general shape of my home made bracket; the yellow arrow points to it... Its 1" or 1.5" wide steel.
Hey awesome thanks for the post!! I've seen your car pics before thanks for all the info. I'll take a look at my light and see if I can mount the same, or in a similar manner

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Hey awesome thanks for the post!! I've seen your car pics before thanks for all the info. I'll take a look at my light and see if I can mount the same, or in a similar manner
All depends what brand/ what style mounts they use.
Yhe taller mounts will need just afew thick washers(I cut 2 inch aluminum for stacked washers) thats how the 9.5" lights were mounted.

Good luck, cant wait to see what you do.

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
^ ^ ok thanks. Yes I'll post back with what I decide to do. I'm pretty sure I can fit the 22" bar in the grille but I guess we’ll see!

carl20320

TDI
2004 Mk4 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
OK, today son and I were doing some work on our Golfs. He has had a little oil on his skid plate that we could not identify where it was from. He removed his bumper today to clean his intercooler before we drive back to Florida next week.

Do NOT mount your light bar to the core support unless you are certain there is plenty of clearance. He did this project a little over a year ago and and recently, his light bar brackets wore through his condenser. The oil on the skid plate is apparently some oil from his A/C system. When he started talking about it, he said he had at least 1/8" clearance. He now knows that is not near enough on a part that will vibrate. Tough lesson for him but hopefully no one else repeats it.

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
OK, today son and I were doing some work on our Golfs. He has had a little oil on his skid plate that we could not identify where it was from. He removed his bumper today to clean his intercooler before we drive back to Florida next week.

Do NOT mount your light bar to the core support unless you are certain there is plenty of clearance. He did this project a little over a year ago and and recently, his light bar brackets wore through his condenser. The oil on the skid plate is apparently some oil from his A/C system. When he started talking about it, he said he had at least 1/8" clearance. He now knows that is not near enough on a part that will vibrate. Tough lesson for him but hopefully no one else repeats it.
Ok sorry to hear that but thanks a lot for sharing. I will stay away from the core support.