'02 ALH quits / Ye ol' 17762, 17970 codes

visionlogic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I'm convinced that the metal we repeatedly found clinging to the magnet at the bottom of the IP's QA... this was the source of our upper/lower limit errors after the initial NO START!
So IF you do go into the IP, take the time to go a bit further and
easily remove the QA assembly and take a look on the bottom
where the recirculated fuel is ported through the magnet's center hole!

Regards,
Sam Ross
Thanks Sam. I'll be looking at all possibilities/probabilities that have been mentioned.

This aberrant behavior seems to exhibit only when I am at a steady-state 2600+rpm cruise. Stop and go driving or short quick accelerations do not seem to trigger it. Could just be coincidence... I don't know.

MrSafety

Newbie at Heart
California... Novato... 25 Mi. N. of S.F.
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI/ALH/01M-'80 240D Mercedes/'81 Rabbit "Caddy"/'99 Lexus ES300
Thanks Sam. I'll be looking at all possibilities/probabilities that have been mentioned.
This aberrant behavior seems to exhibit only when I am at a steady-state 2600+rpm cruise.
Stop and go driving or short quick accelerations do not seem to trigger it.
Could just be coincidence... I don't know.
When I said "remove" the QA assembly/2nd section down,
I did not mean that literally...
just lift it up and flip it over so you can see the magnet with the fuel flow hole through it!
Sam

visionlogic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Work and family matters tied up my entire weekend. Such is life.

It appears from my various readings and feedback that the magnet surrounding the hole in the bottom of the QA section does not catch all of the filings/rust and that the filings/rust and other crud can attach itself to the electromagnet 'motor' internally causing sticking/binding of the collar adjustment shaft.

Therefore, I've decided that as a first step I am going to attempt a complete disassembly, cleaning and reassembly of the salvaged 11mm QA section I have, using the above posted French overview and instructions. If it appears successful I'll install it into my pump and test it out.

I hope I don't find the internals of mine to be as crapped up as shown in these:

MrSafety

Newbie at Heart
TDI
... ...
Therefore, I've decided that as a first step I am going to attempt a complete disassembly,
cleaning and reassembly of the salvaged 11mm QA section I have,
using the above posted French overview and instructions.
If it appears successful I'll install it into my pump and test it out.
I hope I don't find the internals of mine to be as crapped up as shown in these:
"visionlogic" - You are a braver man than I... " Gunga Din " !
I agree, the magnet does not catch all the metal when an IP starts to disintegrate and chip away at the hardened surfaces!
I fear that IF you find metal on the magnet that it is coming from lower down in the IP and if so, you would be wasting your time!
NOTE - Bet sure to let us know what you see on the magnet and nearby magnetized machine screws that hold and extend below the QA assembly!
Best of luck,
Sam

visionlogic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I fear that IF you find metal on the magnet that it is coming from lower down in the IP and if so, you would be wasting your time!
Perhaps, but even if I'm only partially successful, in the sense of buying a bit of time to gather the approx. $1K in funds for a new pump, I'll be pleased.

"Times are hard. You're afraid to pay the fee. So you find yourself somebody. Who can do the job for free." ~ Dirty Work | Steely Dan

MrSafety

Newbie at Heart
TDI
Perhaps, but even if I'm only partially successful,
in the sense of buying a bit of time to gather the approx.
$1K in funds for a new pump, I'll be pleased.
I see you are on Mobile Bay... just across the state live from a bunch of
my relatives along the MS Gulf Coast!
I just found an INDY VW parts guy who specializes in IP(s)...
and says he can sell me a " NEW " BOSCH TDI VE27 IP for under $1,000!
[edit] I wish Bosch had put their magnet such that it was on
the tip of a screw in plug from the outside so that it was much easier to
remove/inspect/clean, and return the plug
!

Sam

Last edited:

Richard_Fr

TDI
Golf 3 TD (long time ago)
Hi,
I'm the french guy who made the tutorial you was talking about (perejoseph33).

I recently updated this article on my new blog so you can find it there: http://lemecano.fr/2012-03-15/pompe-injection-tdi-accoup-acceleration-ralenti-instable. I don't know if I'll keep the old adress online.

For this article, I found more accurate informations and specially a doc who describe all the functioning of the IP. It's in the paragraph "sources d'informations".

I hope this will be helpfull for somebody.

Richard.

jeffpepin

TDI
1.9 ALH jetta 2003
a 7mm standart socket and a couple of hammer knock for removing triangular Guarantee proff bolt on top of Qa

jeffpepin

TDI
1.9 ALH jetta 2003
ive experiencing exactly the same fault now august 2020 pushed a litle it exessively then , lack of power , then no start anymore , dont really know at this time if its electrical related or maybe ip jump some teeth ,, ive these codes wathever if i clear it heres comes again
g149 modulating piston sensor , electrical malfunction
n146 quantity adjuster lower limit reached
n146 quantity adjuster , higher limit reached ,
glow plug cell flashing , car crank but not start at all
not yet tested brake cleaner to see if cam/crank timing is ok ,

i will post furter info if i sucessfull repair myself , maybe will help someone , look like im not the only one to experience this issue