HELP! Tie-rod ends

Syndicate

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Q7 TDI Sline, 09 335d
Tie-rod end verification

I'm in the middle of replacing the tie-rod ends and have come across a problem...

The new ends only want to screw about half the distance as the older parts to meet up with the spindle holes... The old ones sat about half an inch or so further on the threads 'spinning on per-say' I dont know why but is that ok? Could someone post the bently tie rod replacement page, by chance?

I don't have the bently... I know I know :(

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

Syndicate

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Q7 TDI Sline, 09 335d
another note... these things last, the ones I pulled off along with the ball joints were perfectly fine at 160k miles. I just replaced them to replace I suppose.

The rubber was looking a little brittle... Yeah thats it! lol

bugablue

Veteran Member
TDI
98 beetle
On my 98 beetle, they had made a production change half way through the year, and I got the wrong part, it was considerably shorter. do not use the new parts unless they look identical.

Syndicate

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Q7 TDI Sline, 09 335d
Not inspite of your post bugablue, just because I forgot to add it.

1999.5 Golf GLS

Syndicate

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Q7 TDI Sline, 09 335d
I think I'm going to reinstall the old ones for now and call mjmautohaus to see if they infact sent something wrong. As it looks like it.

Thanks buga, as I for some reason didnt even compare them.

bugablue

Veteran Member
TDI
98 beetle
the smaller one looks like the one I got, that was the wrong one, mine were longer too. Don't know what years of what cars had the production change. And there is a torx screwdriver fitting on the bottom end of the joint, to avoid the joint turning while tightening the vinyl lock nut.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
Looks like they got the lowest bidder on those, China . Make sure you use the right one even they tell you that the ones they sent will work.

Syndicate

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Q7 TDI Sline, 09 335d
Birdman said:
Looks like they got the lowest bidder on those, China . Make sure you use the right one even they tell you that the ones they sent will work.
After looking at pictures on the net, these apear to be the A3 tie rods.

MJM emailed me back asking for the part numbers, and saying something about maybe its a redesigned product

*Update* They are sending me the correct ends as of today, as they admit to sending the wrong ones.

Last edited:

John96895

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Black
When I first saw this thread, my reaction was, WHOA!!!!! That is obviously not the right tie-rod end! Glad to see you are using the right parts. I had one strip-out years ago due to corrosion, needless to say, a very dangerous situation.