emissions modification survey

Modify/eliminate emissions eqipment

• Would not modify emissions equipment on my TDI

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • Would modify emissions equipment to save money

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • Will modify/remove for performace improvement

Votes: 33 47.1%
  • would modify except for enforcement (test/inspection)

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • clean diesel is important to me

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • don't care about diesel emissions not my problem

Votes: 12 17.1%

• Total voters

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
want to give folks a chance to express an opinion on what they think about the OEM TDI emissions equipment.

you can pick as many choices as you like.

voting is not public (not tied to user name) plenty of chances to state opinions elsewhere.

• These modifications are a violation of federal emissions regulations
  • Neither TDIClub nor any person taking action or inaction on its behalf, other than the content poster, will be held accountable for the content in said messages
  • It is up to each individual vehicle owner or operator to take responsibility for his/her actions

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
just to give folks a chance to express an opinion without emotionally laden arguments.

unscientific, and results will reflect only those who find their way here and decide to vote.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I really like the clean-diesel aspect, and took a gamble on this technology as a relatively 'early adopter' in 2010, but am not keen on the long-term reliability. Even I am considering a DPF delete. A DPF replacement costs ~$2400. And if the turbo goes and pukes oil into the exhaust, it trashes the DPF, so a blown turbo could end up costing even more. Even barring turbo issues, this car may end up needing not 1, but 2 DPF replacements over its life. All options are on the table.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Seen them at $840 for the dpf itself. Long ways from $2400. Maybe need to see a trusted mechanic instead of the dealer. More is known now than 2 years ago in that other thread quoting that price.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I like the fact that our emission are cleaner than a gasser, and still have better fuel mileage and more power to boot:).

I just find it odd that,not ever state or county does emission testing.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/40/1068.101

federal law provides for penalties of up to $3750 per day of operation, and $37,500k for each engine modified.

enforcement is pretty much delegated to states, which operate programs in response to the measured air quality, and local political realities. most places would rather encourage compliance than impose penalties.

The EPA does have an enforcement division, and a couple years ago they got a $500k settlement from an outfit that was selling DPF delete software for pickup trucks.

They are not likely to land the black helicopter in your driveway to cite a deleted DPF in your TDI.

Last edited:

fxk

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
I'm of very mixed feelings...
I think EPA is out of control. I believe state emission stations are nothing more than a jobs program. I would love to see the stats of vehicles passing and failing.
That said, no, I wouldn't modify the systems on the TDI. I would prefer not to have to deal with a DPF, or clogged intake runners. I've learned to live with cat converters - i had to replace one many moons ago on a gasser - expensive.
I am disappointed/disgusted that there is such a visceral reaction of environmentals against diesel.
The ultimate simplicity of a diesel has become a computerized nightmare of sensors and add-ons. All works well when working - and an expensive nightmare when a failure of the system occurs.
All that said, the cars run well, have plenty of power, and return great fuel consumption numbers.
frank

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I am of the camp that would rather keep the emissions, up until the repairs cost more than the car is worth. And I would investigate all options (used, cleaning, retrofit, etc.) before gutting the emissions equipment. But if it cost more than the car is worth, I'm considering getting a new car anyway.

Like tomo said, I have to breath that. And they do smoke/stink with a DPF delete - customer brought one into our shop "cough, cough".

Just because oil got on the substrate does not mean the DPF is instantly failed junk. But if the oil sludge gets burnt on and debris get lodged in there, then almost certain junk. There are services that clean them and I would go that way instead of replacement based on mileage/ash load.

Just for the record, I do think EPA and CARB get heavy handed with emissions and we could probably do fine with much less complicated and $$$ emissions equipment. A few years driving in CA and dealing with their smog check program made me realize they were more interested in enforcing the letter of the smog law rather than the intent.

Jason

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just for reference, we had a code orange air quality day around here. I really can tell the difference, my throat wants to close up a bit, and I am a pretty healthy guy who gets a moderate amount of exercise.

these alerts are for the low level ozone, caused by VOCs and NOX.

Last edited:

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
i would remove/delete emissions parts in a heartbeat to save money. Cats are cheap and if i were tested here, i would have no issue replacing one but a $800+ DPF is insane. that's 2 months worth of my mortgage payment...

I think (in my own little perfect world) any mandated emissions system should be covered by warranty for 10 years and then exempted. Or 10 year warranty with 15yr exemption... pick your flavor i guess, my numbers are arbitrary, its the idea that counts... lol

i know emissions equipment is already required to be covered for quite some time under federal law but 10 year warranty would force manufacturers to make emission system designs and parts that are more durable or at least more cost effective for them to be replaced.

10yrs basically amounts to lifetime coverage for many cars. in WI, most cars are rotted out messes with serious body rust by 10-15yrs old and will see a junkyard in a few years after that.

ODC

TDI
2013 JettaTDI
I Received Recall for Emission ECM Calibration , My 42-44 mpg is doing fine

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I guess it depends on whether you DELETE the emissions equipment or just modify it to improve its function. BTW, here in the CPR, IMPROVING the function of your installed emissions systems is just as illegal as removing it.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
That, romad, is one for the things I DON'T miss about smog checks. The stupid rules they set up to catch the few people out to bypass the smog end up screwing everyone else. Whats worse is when the part is no longer available for a system, that even CARB admits didn't work worth a darn, and you can't register the car anymore. I went around in circles with a Squareback ('73 automatic) over what should have been a $40 part. Finally found one in a wrecking yard, less damaged than mine, that got it past smog.

I'm all for clean air, but the heavy handed regulations do the system more harm than good.

Jason

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Jason, that must have been before 2003 as 1975 and older vehicles are exempt. It used to be those older than 30 years but they stopped that in 2006. My "violation" was to replace a single wire O2 sensor with a 4-wire heated sensor so the ECU could start doing its thing sooner and cut down on my "cold start" emissions.

Georgia_Boy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I agree with ketchupshirt88 on longer emission warranties. They could also just make the parts cheaper so removing them doesn't cost half the price of replacing them. Thank God I live in Florida.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
they should concentrate their efforts on crappy running gas cars.. ugh. get behind an early 2000 nissan/toyota/whatever and they try to "accelerate" and get this noxious smell. even newer gas cars same thing. screw all that.