Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

A

azbioguy

Stories when filling up at \"gasoline station\"

After two years and 46,000 miles, I have zero, nada, not one good fill-up story. Maybe I should try waving the green handle in the air and yell, "Look, I'm gonna put diesel in this little Golf! Someone try and stop me!!!"

Or maybe it's that I fill up with such an air of confidence that no one dares to question me! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

I feel so left out /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The ONLY person ever to ask if my car was a diesel at all was a Burger King drive through employee.

Blue_Thunder

Veteran Member

Hey, cut me some slack guy. It was my FIRST time putting ANY diesel into anything in my life.

Sorry if I got the mileage wrong. I hope somehow you can find a place in your heart to forgive me.

OK, while I'm grumpy...reading through these stories I did think poorly of the people here who seem to have found joy in being big jerks to people who happened to say something to them about putting diesel in their vehicle.

Maybe the people were just trying to be helpful and besides when you return a comment in kind you've just allowed yourself to be dragged down into their personal little cesspool.

RogueTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI Black

Was I really that harsh? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

AutoDiesel

Veteran Member

[ QUOTE ]
Only 42mpg highway, for a DSG??

Im not familiar with the mileage for a DSG, but shouldnt the mileage be more like 45-46??

[/ QUOTE ]

For the PD New Beetle........
stick shifts are.....38mpg city / 46 mpg highway
automatics are.......36mpg city / 42 mpg highway

schultzy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI PD, 2004, Reflex Silver/Grey Velour

Had my first fill-up story tonight. I decided that I wanted to try out a new station. I've been going to Sh!tgo for my fill-ups until now. But, I discovered a BP/Amoco only 2 miles away from the house with "Premier Diesel" and pay at the pump.

I pulled in to pump #9 with the fuel light on since I left DC. 517 miles on that tank(new PD, and I drive it hard). I put in the CC and started pumping. I didn't bother with the Diesel Kleen, 'cause I wanted to see how this fuel was w/o first. I noticed a Saturn across the lot was starting to leave, but stopped and seemed to be watching me. I squeezed every last drop into the tank, I had it filled up all the way up the neck. I hung up the nozzle, and turned to put my "fuel" cap back on(had to be careful putting the cap back on so that I wouldn't slosh any out). And blaring over the intercom I hear, "Nomber nine, you wan' diesel, right?" As I turned towards the booth, I nodded yes and smiled. I realized that the clerk had waited until I had finished filling up before he warned me. I jokingly shouted toward the booth, "It's a little late now, if I didn't!" I got in the car, recorded my mileage on my receipt, and drove off. I saw the Saturn in my rear view mirror, follow me off the lot. I think he was expecting to see me stall in the parking lot, but turned the other direction when I didn't.

I'll be going back there as a regular stop, my PD seems to run noticably smoother on the "Premier Diesel", even without the Diesel Kleen.

LagoonBlueTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6sp

Was fueling a couple weeks ago (around Memorial Day), and the gas station was crowded.

Cars waiting in line at the gas pumps. I pull into a diesel pump and fill up.

As I pull out, some woman in a Honda pulls into the station, cirlces around, sees no open gas pumps...

She pulls in behind me as I'm pulling out, sits for a few seconds (obviously sees that she's at a DIESEL pump), then roars out of the station parking lot.

I guess she didn't want to buy gas there after all...

EECSentric

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL DSG LP

I think that i permanantly ended the turn the fuel pump cutoff with having this on the back window

Did you have that decal custom made? I love it.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)

(snip) I saw the Saturn in my rear view mirror, follow me off the lot. I think he was expecting to see me stall in the parking lot, but turned the other direction when I didn't.(snip)
__. I had a big audience a few days ago. As I was filling, one of the local intelligencia walks by and says "hey, you ain't oughtta be put Kurrseen in dat car!" So he goes into the station audience and tells everyone that I've put diesel in the car. As they're all standing outside the door, I drove away ... and just couldn't resist pumping the clutch a couple of times as if it was stalling.
'

justaguy

My daughter drives a 98 NB TDI with only 26 k on the dial. Every time she gets fuel here in SE Georgia someone has to tell her she is putting the wrong fuel in her car. A couple of weeks ago I taught her how to vent. The other day she was getting fuel and venting trying to get it topped all the way off. Some guy stopped and asked her if everything was ok because she was taking so long to get fuel. She told him she was ok I am pushing the button. She said he gave her a funny look and ok hon and walked off. It did not dawn on her untill he left that he thought there goes another dumb blond. I am sure the reason she gets so many people telling her she is wrong is she is 16 blond and only 5 feet tall. I told her just tell them my daddy said to put the cheapest fuel there is in it and see what they say.
These stories are great to read.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather

I guess folks just do not realize that it is impossible to fuel a '70s and later American-sold gas-engined car with diesel fuel from an American pump. 1970s gasoline-fueled cars got smaller fuel filler openings and unleaded fuel nozzels were downsized to prevent fueling cars having catylitic converters with leaded fuel (Leaded gas pump nozzles were the same size as the current "small" diesel pump nozzles (not the huge diesel nozzels found at truck stops)). Then, at some point leaded gasoline was discontinued all together, but the gas pump nozzles remained the same small size and gas-engined cars continued to have the same small sized filler neck openings.

But, its possible to put gasoline in a diesel car fuel tank
. That little pump nozzle will fit right in!

--Nate

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI auto, platinum gray, ESP

I finally have a story. It doesn't involve me though, but I witnessed it. I pulled into the station behind a Ford F350 diesel. Both of the diesel/gas pump were taken. So he got in one line and me in the other. In his line was a new MB E320 and the guy was washing the windows. We sat there for about 3-4 mins waiting for the pumps to open. Then the F350 guy goes psycho. He runs around by the Benz and goes off on him. F that you Fin A.H. Do that S. at the car wash. I was like
chill out buddy. He later told me that the Benz guy was washing his whole car with the windshield washer thingy. I thought the pickup driver was gonna kill him.

Darren_J

Veteran Member
TDI
MK 4 TDI

Saturday, pull up to a Drummond's Fuel station in Ottawa, waiting for attendant who's tending to a lady in a Toyota Highlander. Senior Lady says in thick english, "fillit upppa weeth deezul", slack-jawed zombie-attendant-robot obeys and proceeds to unhook diesel nozzle from pump and place in filler pipe. Intrigued, thinking it's some test mule for Toyota I get out of my car and strike up a conversation:

Me:"So this is a Diesel?"
Lady:<shrugs, then nods>
Lady:"Eet's my Son'sa car, he aska me too fill it uppa weeth da good stuff"
Me:<Spider Sense tingling> "He said Diesel?"
Lady: "I tink so"
Me to attendant, now pumping away:"I would stop and check for sure if I were you"
Attendant:<uncomprehending stare>
Me:"Seriously, stop now and check. If this uses gas and you put diesel in it the engine is toast and you'll be responsible"(wild guess)
<Attendant finally releases sloth-like grip>

So I look at the rear of the Highlander and it says V6, and of course there's a label saying unleaded fuel only. To make a long story short the lady calls her son on the cell phone and he had said Ethanol, which this station has in labelled pumps. The attendant had put 12 litres of diesel in the Highlander, which was near empty before that so I suggested she just fill it up with premium gas and it should be fine. When she drove away she was still arguing and yelling on the cell phone, I have no idea what happened after that. I offered my phone number to the attendant as a witness that she had requested diesel but he said not to worry about it.

bjmarler

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, White

I had my first. I filled up at the Shell station down the street. Near the end, while venting, a man walks up behind me, watches for about 30 sec, and then says - "So you put diesel in that...?" I just smiled and politely said "yep, it's a diesel." I wanted SO bad to give him a big DUH; or else drop the nozzle and start cursing like I did not know what I was doing!!!

DriverFoundNC

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW in Salsa Red; 2005 Golf in Indigo Blue
Re: Stories when filling up at \"gasoline station\"

Just last night, pulled into a truck stop and there were two(2) MB 240D's at the pump having a conversation and looking at each other's engines. They had already filled up and were blocking both diesel pumps. I got out and asked if one of them could move so I could fill up. They both looked and me and said 'You realize this is a diesel pump, don't you?'. I informed them that I in fact was driving a diesel. They then walk over to check out my car. We spent quite a bit of time talking about the cars, looking under the hoods. They couldn't get over how quite the TDI was compared to theirs. One guy asked me about my mileage and told him I was averaging 51 mpg and his eyes got really big, and volunteered he was only getting 24 mpg.

Eric
I can believe the mileage...I had a 1983 240D 4 speed manual. In town it was around 27, and about 33 on the highway. With 67 hp you really had to leg the thing to keep up with traffic. Traded it on a 1991 300D 2.5 turbo - 28 in town but 41 on the highway...

DriverFoundNC

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW in Salsa Red; 2005 Golf in Indigo Blue

Right, I didn't word that correctly, I believe it's the Land Cruisers with the diesel that weren't ever sold in the US., but pickups were. Still a huge rarity though, especially in salt states like mine. You're hard-pressed to find a MN Toyota earlier than '90 (even my '91 4Runner is rotting considerably) without massive rust unless they've been brought here from a state like AZ or CO.
I snarfed up a spreadsheet from another dieselfan site - in the mid 1980s Toyota sold diesel Camrys and Corollas here. Only a couple of years, but they were sold. A fellow I worked with in 1989 had a diesel Ford Tempo of all things...!

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI

Sorry guys, this isn't a tdi story, but it is one about putting kerosene in a gas car on purpose.
My father-in-law use to do it way back during World War II. He lived in northwest Pennsylvinia and was dating his wife to be who lived east of Buffalo, NY, about 75 miles away. During the war gas was rationed and you could only buy so many gallons as was allowed by your ration card, couple gallons a week. Anyway in order for him to get to Buffalo to do his courting, he ran kerosene which was not rationed. He had to carry a small can of gas to pour in carberator to start the car, then let it run on the kerosene in the tank. Timing had to be advanced or retarted a bit for it to run on the kerosene. He said it smoked like mad, banged, jerked, and made all kinds of bad noised. But it got him back and forth when no body else could make the trip.
Don't think the cars of today could do this because of all the engine computer controls.

passatwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon- sold, 2009 Passat Wagon 2.0T, 2010 Jetta sedan DSG

Here in rural Kentucky, if you are stopped and forget that there is a green light, the person behind you would wait for you to go and never use a horn. It would be considered rude. People are much more friendly and civil here.There is a difference in a "polite" honk and a "rude" honk.

If I'm behind someone and the light turns green, I give them a few seconds. If they don't move, I'll give a poilite "beep beep". Just enough to get their attention. And if that doesn't work, then I lay on the horn -- HHHOOOOONNNK!
Definition of "nanosecond": in Oklahoma it is the time differential between the light turning green and the idiot behind you starting to honk.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner

I was debating whether to post this here or in my "Helping to Spread the TDI Gospel" thread I started a few months ago. But since it happened earlier tonight while fueling up, it's definitely a fuel up story.

I was fueling up tonight at Haffner's on Route 3A in Hudson NH. I fueled up at the Diesel truck pump like I normally do. I got the usual weird looks from the mob of gassers in line at the gas pumps, who were blocking the other Diesel pumps. The Diesel pumps are located in the middle of each gasser island, so they get blocked frequently.

Anyway, I get done fueling up, go back inside and get my change because you have to pre-pay at this station, get back in my car and pull around to the parking area in front of the convenience store. I get out, pop the hood, and fill up my washer fluid reservoir because it was nearly empty. I left the engine running so everybody can hear the TDI engine idle. I drop the hood, and just as I get back into my car and getting ready to leave, I'm approached by two Hudson police officers on bicycles. They had noticed the lettering on my TDI (see my sig below) and one of them asked me "How do you like your TDI? What's TDIclub all about?" The look on their faces was priceless after I mentioned that the 700 miles on one tank and 50MPG numbers are for real.
One of them mentioned he drives a Toyota Corolla gasser and gets around 31MPG. He was surprised to learn that Toyota has a Diesel version of it in Europe. He asked "Why don't they bring that here?" We chatted for about 10 minutes about TDIs, TDIclub, and the situation with Diesel cars in this country and how things are different in Europe. One of them also said "Wow, it's very quiet too!" Overall, it was a good conversation and some positive TDI publicity!

The officers had parked their patrol car in the gas station's lot and were gearing up to start their evening bicycle patrol in the area while I was fueling up. I kind of had a gut feeling I was being watched by them when I was filling the washer fluid reservoir because my Golf's butt was facing them from across the lot. Anyway it was fun helping to spread the TDI Gospel. They noticed my license plate (N1DAS) because one of them is also a licensed ham radio operator (didn't get his callsign). So we also talked briefly about radio stuff too.

It was fun! More of us should help spread the TDI Gospel whenever the opportunity presents itself.

More Diesel demand --> More Diesel choices!

~ n1das

KI4HOK

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Reflex silver Jetta wagon

Sorry for not checking on the thread earlier, to much info, not enough time. Can I get a job as a TDIclub expert. Paid to read TDI club, that would be great.

I had the decal made by a friend that I play hockey with. I can get others made for $30 + s/h.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat

Of all the yrs I've bought diesel fuel...no one has even said squat to me...not once untill today.

I was filling up my Jetta....I was just at the pump doing my thing...when this guy comes up to me and says.."Hey son...(keep in mind I'm 50+ and he's calling me...son ) ...you're putt'en diesel in your car...it won't run worth a damn".

I just looked at him...rather stuck for words....just looked at him with a coy grin...and told the guy "its Ok..I like the way the diesel fuel makes my engine sound.

With that the ol'e guy just wanders off and climbs back into his VERY old Ford Ranger...that was more rust than metal.

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M

As someone mentioned in one of these threads, just tell him it smokes a little with the cheap stuff, but it runs just fine.
(Then I'd watch as I leave to see if he tries to switch pumps.)

grimlock

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan, Black

I have vice versa story....

Last time I filled up at Shell, to try out Ultra Diesel, I noticed a guy trying to stick fill-up his older Nissan with diesel. (the thought crossed my mind briefly that he would actually have a TDI or IDI under the hood, but NAHH!!!!) I said in a loud voice, "Dude, that's a diesel pump" He looked up and said "oh" then quickly moved to a gas pump.

After he moved, him and his friend watched me pull up, and had this look on their faces, "why the hell is he using the diesel pump?!"

-priceless-

Richard

WEBDZL

Veteran Member
Just off the N.W.Ramp of the allmost finished 101
TDI
Golf,2004,red

That was just the best.Iam always telling people that you cant lose if you just dont play,But just think with a TDI the guy could get about 4 more tickes for the same overall cost but just like at the pump he stands there and throws the money in the wind..... We B Dzl

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner

I have vice versa story....

Last time I filled up at Shell, to try out Ultra Diesel, I noticed a guy trying to stick fill-up his older Nissan with diesel. (the thought crossed my mind briefly that he would actually have a TDI or IDI under the hood, but NAHH!!!!) I said in a loud voice, "Dude, that's a diesel pump" He looked up and said "oh" then quickly moved to a gas pump.

After he moved, him and his friend watched me pull up, and had this look on their faces, "why the hell is he using the diesel pump?!"

-priceless-

Richard
That story would make a great TDI commercial on TV.

In my case with the two PD officers, I can't use the excuse "But officer, I couldn't have been speeding. I only have a 90HP turbodiesel!"

~ n1das

TDIinRI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GOLF silver

After about 2 years od TDI ownership I finally have a funny story! Sure, there have been the strange looks at the diesel pumps, but nothing too exciting to date...

I was visiting my folks on Long Island and was driving back to Rhode Island. It was 3pm and there was traffic due to construction on the Long Island Expressway (complete misnomer). I decided to get off b/c of the traffic and b/c I needed to fill up before starting over the bridge. Whenever there is traffic, I take Northern Blvd to avoid it. I stopped at the first station that I found that carried diesel. It was in Great Neck, NY, a very wealthy town in which cars such as a 3 series BMW is bought for your kids as their first car. Needless to say, most of the stations are full-serve as people in this town simply don't pump their own gas! Well, I found the diesel pump whose handle was at the same pump with a gasoline handle. There were 2 handles on one "pump box". The attendant came out and I told him that I was all set and would pump my own. I poured my additive in, swiped my card, and proceeded to fill. The guy came running over, yelling, "NO, NO, THAT IS DIESEL, THAT IS WHY I PUMP, NO, NO, STOP!" I then told him, that I knew and it was OK. He was still like, NO NO NO, untill I stopped pumping and showed him the sticker on the fuel door that says "DIESEL" He was a little surprised to say the least. A pop of the hood and 5 minute conversation unsued! A interesting note: Even though the fuel was EXPENSIVE at $2.019/gal, the pump was brand new and clean and there was a sticker next to the handle that stated "Cetane 45 min" FYI for locals: The Shell on the northeast corner of Northern Blvd and Lakeville Rd

SoCalTony

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI Indigo Blue

$2.019 isn't too bad. I haven't seen anything lower than $1.999 around LA and SD.

So far nobody has stopped me from putting diesel in my Golf. Most of the time I get a disparaging look from guys driving big trucks waiting for the diesel pump. Although, there was this one time there were these three Latino-looking guys in a full-size Ford pickup that were saying all sorts of nasty stuff about me in Spanish like, "Look at that idiot putting diesel in his car. His car isn't going to start blah blah blah..." I speak Spanish but I really didn't want to talk to them. After I finished pumping, I got in my car and drove off, all three of them had the most dumbstruck look on their faces.

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed

That story would make a great TDI commercial on TV.

In my case with the two PD officers, I can't use the excuse "But officer, I couldn't have been speeding. I only have a 90HP turbodiesel!"
That happened to me once near Oklahoma City. I got stopped on a rural highway by the Oklahoma Highway Patrol for doing 72 in a 65. The cop said something about my "quick little car", and I said something like "quick? It's only a little 90 hp diesel. Pretty slow really". He said "oh really? My Jetta TDI is pretty quick" and gave me a big smile. After a pregnant pause, and what I'm sure was a priceless look on my face, I said "then you should know how hard it is to stay under 80 then!". He just smiled and told me to slow it down. We then had the usual conversation about mileage and diesels and such for a few minutes. Pretty cool.

During my first 2 years of TDI ownership, my car served as a medical courier vehicle. Since we drove between 400 and 450 miles per day, filling up was a daily thing. My girlfriend took over that route and has several good "filling up" stories.

She has the routine down to an art, and it usually goes something like this...

She pulls up, gets out and starts filling it up. Someone would come over and and say "um, Miss, do you know you're putting diesel in that car?". She tries to hold back the grin and says "Well, it's my boyfriend's car and he said to just put the cheapest stuff I can find in it" (diesel being cheaper than gas at the time). About that time, the helpful guy usually makes a lunge for the pump nozzle or shuts it off at the pump. She then breaks down laughing, tell them that it's ok, and gives them the usual 10 minute tour and education about TDI's.

She usually filled up at the same stations in rural Oklahoma, where VW's in general, and TDI's in particular are virtually non-existant. The people at the stations were wise to my girlfriend's antics and would just turn the pump back on again after the afternoon's entertainment. They would even help if someone mentioned it to them by saying "you'll have to go talk to her about that". LOL!

TDIs are fun!

Jeff in Texas
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
237,100 miles since 5/1/01 and climbing!

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet

he pulled up next to me and told me there is something wrong with my car.
For people with "ventectomied" B4Vs, the proper answer would be "I know - the fuel gauge doesn't start moving off full until I've put a few hundred miles on it".