ALH upgrade options

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Hey all, looking to get some upgrades in on my rig, it's a '01 ALH w/manual conversion. I currently have a brand new DMF LUK, 11mm pump, and I think it has the 672 injectors in it since it was originally an auto. Freshly cleaned (taken apart) turbo and adjusted to spec.

I'm not looking for anything crazy, but definitely looking to get some more oomph. Open to ideas of new injectors and maybe a tune. Plus, how to even do a tune :D this is all fairly new to me. I've already done the usual preventative maintenance like filters, timing belt, even a new MAF/clean intake manifold. Let me know if there's any other details you need too!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
nozzles
water/meth
Tune : call or contact Malone
PD150 intake
EGR delete
Auber gauges

i say water meth or just water to keep your EGT's down so you can crank had some .764 or 520 nozzles with a pop test stage 2 from kerma, Hammer mod your IP to 1.6-2.4.

Bump up the PSI to about 18-19 and get a 3 bar MAP
Have Malone or Kerma Write you a Tune

This is easy power and will be very reliable. You are probably going to need a stage 2 SBClutch Eunduro

nikolay_ss

TDI
1.9TDI ALH
Bosio 1019 DLC is your best option for optimal mpg and good performance, without needing any other hardware upgrades. Also you really need a tune after install them.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
with my gt2052 and my .764 on an IQ of 1.4 im still getting 55+ reliable MPG. You want to tune, dont worry about MPG, you WILL get them. the only way to get more MPG is to get more power with out being ridiculous with fuel injection.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Bosio 1019 DLC is your best option for optimal mpg and good performance, without needing any other hardware upgrades. Also you really need a tune after install them.
I agree with nikolay. You already have a 11mm pump so 1019 DLC would be perfect. I don’t see why to have the IQ so low though. To get better mileage would be around 5.0-5.5 from me experience. You only lose torque buy raising the IQ from my understanding. I have a 10mm pump and .764 to compensate. My IQ is set around 2.5 and get around 45-48mpg.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I agree with nikolay. You already have a 11mm pump so 1019 DLC would be perfect. I don’t see why to have the IQ so low though. To get better mileage would be around 5.0-5.5 from me experience. You only lose torque buy raising the IQ from my understanding. I have a 10mm pump and .764 to compensate. My IQ is set around 2.5 and get around 45-48mpg.
same here, but im at 1.4 iq and get about 53 on average but not the way i drive it lol

nikolay_ss

TDI
1.9TDI ALH
That's why it needs tune. It's good combo, because of better atomization. Also it would take off stress of fuel pump and timing belt, because it will works at lower voltage. Bosio dlc1019 are good enough to deliver power without excessive smokes.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Exhaust, injectors, tune, that's it for a nice bump in power. Do that and drive it, if you want more, a turbo upgrade is next. KISS is the word here.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Hey aren't you in BC? that second S was dropped to avoid hurting anyone's feelings.

Agreed on the setup, PP520 will flow plenty for a stock turbo, then an 11mm with a VNT17 will cover that. Past that things get expensive. With the DMF, I personally wouldn't add nozzles just for the sake of reliability.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
1019's and an 11mm is WAY too much fuel for a VNT15, 10mm no problem.
A tune first, then bigger nozzles,. After that, a turbo upgrade. Right now your turbo limits the power. Budget about$300 for the tune, $3-400 for bigger nozzles. Above that, your clutch will be the weak link

Been there - done that. Had to dial back power because of a clutch. See my signature.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I always thought that the tune was after you did fuel and turbo because your tune needs to reflect what you have, not what your going to do, right?

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
I would only assume Nero morg has lost interest. Posted the thread and now....disappeared!!! We have all put options out but no reply from the OP.........

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would only assume Nero morg has lost interest. Posted the thread and now....disappeared!!! We have all put options out but no reply from the OP.........
20% of most thread here are communication with OP's. 80% is the rest of us talking about, learning, comparing, and arguing! I would say that 99% of the posters who ask, "How do i more power" are not the ones who are active on this site enough to hear back from them. Most of them are "How do i roll coal" and other 16yo vdubber wannabee hipsters!

jwm470

TDI
01 Jetta, 02 Jetta, 03 Golf, 02 Beetle, 03 Wagon
In my part of the country hipsters do not roll coal, hillbillies...absolutely!

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
20% of most thread here are communication with OP's. 80% is the rest of us talking about, learning, comparing, and arguing! I would say that 99% of the posters who ask, "How do i more power" are not the ones who are active on this site enough to hear back from them. Most of them are "How do i roll coal" and other 16yo vdubber wannabee hipsters!

So true haha well said!!!

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I live in a rural county and every diesel powered vehicle I see here rolls coal on tip in. If you were a hipster out here, Billy Bob and his half-sister Jo Bob would woop yur butt 'cause if you ain't Country, you ain't sh!t. Which make me wonder; does that mean if you are Country, you are sh!t?
All kidding aside, j/k, last time I checked, if you buy a tune from Kerma and then upgrade your hardware also from Kerma he upgrades the tune for free.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Amazing how these pickup truck tuners are either too lazy or incapable of mapping boost vs fueling in the ECU. I am no environmental nut my any means but I don't get the ridiculous smoke that some of these trucks put out. It just shows piss poor tuning skills.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Amazing how these pickup truck tuners are either too lazy or incapable of mapping boost vs fueling in the ECU. I am no environmental nut my any means but I don't get the ridiculous smoke that some of these trucks put out. It just shows piss poor tuning skills.
Either Lazy, or cheap.
The cheapest way to make power past a certain point in upgrades is just to dump fvckloads of fuel into the engine. In this case, smoke is due to the exponential cost of extra HP for parts vs just more fuel. This is why the Lazy do it, it’s cool, it’s fun, and it’s for dush's. Same can be made for saggy pants showing off underwear. Consequence of lack of funds for jails and those who get out of jail and must wear clothing that they had but they lost all the lbs in jail and now have saggy clothing, so now future generations do the same thing because they idolize the "strong/stupid"

My TDI smokes enough to "roll coal" its fun to do at Porsche events PCA autocross and what not but it’s not like a 1mpg Cummins smoke stack. It’s a result of cheap power, not lazy. I have a skitz mad tune stage 6 from Malone on a GT2052wg with .764 on a ported head with a colt cam and stage 2 clutch enduro SBC on a stock block wishing for death! See my videos for how much smoke I make. It’s not that bad but still it’s bad until the boost kicks in. As it is, I build 13psi by 16K and at 2100 I’m at 31-32.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZWX8yO3cgE&t=1s

Most guys in those trucks just buy parts and slap them on to make more power. NO TUNING. $200 bulldog slapstick ECU. Up the boost and nozzles.

In MD it's 100% legal as long as the smoke is dissipated enough to see headlights though it after 10 seconds.

Last edited:

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
I always thought that the tune was after you did fuel and turbo because your tune needs to reflect what you have, not what your going to do, right?
You are correct. I had a retune done after each change. Many followed by a dyno tune. With Sprint 520 nozzles an an 11 mm pump, I was passed the capacity of my stock turbo.

Then I changed to the GTC1549VZ turbo and race 520 nozzles. Had to detune to keep the clutch from slipping. Dropped peak torque down to 285 lb/ ft at front wheels to keep clutch in control.

No doubt a stronger clutch would have let my tune approach 350 lb/ft. But that would have required a rod upgrade and mo re.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
I have an 06 Cummins which is how I got into diesels. It’s strange the difference between the tuning of the truck compared to the tdi. The programmer is power on demand. With the cAtcher software it can be changed while driving. I never tried but that’s what smarty says can be done. Being a common rail with EFI the fueling really is never a problem until high horse power achievements are sought after. But it’s like the fueling is always overkill at low rpm with delayed throttle response. So I put it to the floor at 1500rpm and it bellows smoke when I’m in tow mode or performance. I guess it’s easier to just dump fuel and let the engine catch up to make power in the higher rpms. Just very generic and unrefined. Great truck though. :D

All Stock

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
Without fuel, no spool there is--Yoda

This...

BTU's are what drive the turbo. They all have tip in smoke. Even OEM on stock tunes.. Today that is removed through the DPF.

OH and yeah... your ALH, AHU, 1Z all did too when they were new. The cat that came on them was more of a particulate trap than anything else.

Careful when knocking the diesel truck guys, there is far more going on then you think! The problem is kids want to look cool and specifically ask for more "coal". And like was said earlier... its cheap and easy to add fuel... then again.. fuel is the diesel engines throttle.. we wont always have an ideal stoic for a given throttle position as a gasoline engine does. Not even near the archaic carburetor.

All black smoke is wasted and unutilized power... period.

I am surprised there hasn't been more legislation against it. About 10 years back there was a lot of negative publicity against it and politicians were taking notice. It was even reported by the national news outlets. The OEMs started to implement anti programming measures in the ECU's to make the EPA happy about it.. which was quickly bypassed. Even on the truck forums it began to have a bad taste and many were shedding the light to those that wanted more smoke. Its not cool. But hey some of you are and we all were kids...they are going to do what they want to until they learn the hard way that its just not worth it.

My sole purpose for compounding.... eliminate as much smoke as possible.. and lower egts lol.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I myself don’t really care for smoke coming from my Cummins or tdi. I want the power. Less wasted fuel is more power.
Well do a few mods, then shoot some NOS. You dont get any power from NOS unless your car smokes from power mods.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Im kinda pissed my exhaust has a hole in it. I could shoot smoke rings out at any gears 1-3 provided i am not moving fast enough for the wind to F them up. NICE big smoke rings, like 50 per second but only at low rpm, 500-1200 WOT. It was because the gt2052 has a 2.5" pipe attached to it for the collar flange then it goes into 3" right away and makes that vortex happen. i did not plan on it but its awesome. i gata fix that exhaust. Dam heat wrap does not mix well with cheep aluminized steel pipe.