2015 Gen 3 Fix Phase 2 - First Impressions

j2112morris

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 Premium Plus TDI (sold)
I completed my fix today on my Passat and have about 100 miles (highway and local streets) on it so, this is truly a first impression. I am satisfied with it. After the Stage 1, the car felt... anemic. There was zero get up and go and I found myself using Sport or the Manualmatic and shifting myself. (I have the DSG.) While the car was not returned to the pre-fix response, the Stage 2 feels more like the middle of the two. I will likely be keeping it now everything is done ESPECIALLY after driving the Tiguan for three days (Wow those gassers drink fuel!)

I would be interested in other's experiences.

Drive safe.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I came looking for gloom and doom, i leave disappointed.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd rather go to the Gaza strip.

AVM62

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6 speed manual
Anyone have any Phase 2 fix results/first impressions for a manual transmission?
I have a manual transmission with the Phase two fix and I ‘m very happy with it.
Car has more low end torque and will pull from idle, it’s still zippy on the highway. Happy I did the fix even though it took 11 days.

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Tdi, 2012 JSW Tdi DSG (Sold w/80k miles), 2010 Sportwagen TDI 6spd (Traded)
My mpg went up 5mpg on average post Phase 2

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
hand calculated?

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
It's anecdotal at this point, but city mileage seems much worse. Highway seems about the same, perhaps a little better.

AVM62

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6 speed manual
I took my first trip after the Phase two fix and got 47.87 MPG covering 781 miles over three days. This was highway, back roads, mountains & heavy traffic with one half hour nap with the A/C running. This is 3-4 MPG better than I was getting.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
Very Dissappointed with new VW 'tune'

I have had my VW for a week now. I really don't like the new tune. 3 issues: 1. Transmission reset to rev higher 2. Hardly any 'pulling' torque 3. worse mileage

I might as well be driving the 1.4 gas model Jetta. Drives just like a gas car with power coming from revs and not 'grunt'. I've been driving diesel cars since 1984. Have had 18 diesel VW's, 6 or 7 diesel Merz, chevy and Dodge trucks, all diesel.

My next car will either be a 2006 Diesel VW jetta or something else. The VW engineers have managed to turn a powerful 2.0L diesel engine into a whimp. I'd love to know the torque of this new setting that VW have given us with this MAP.

With fuelly I have been getting 41-42 in suburban driving. My tank this time got 35 MPG. It may have been idling for a long time with the tech working on it. I also had three CEL's due to a bad adblue injector. So I'll see what the MPG is after I run a tank through it with the issues fixed.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I have a manual transmission with the Phase two fix and I ‘m very happy with it.
Car has more low end torque and will pull from idle, it’s still zippy on the highway. Happy I did the fix even though it took 11 days.
I have a Manual also....I made an appointment took nearly 3 weeks to get the appointment....Car went in last Saturday...called me yesterday 5 days after drop off said they hadn’t gotten the parts yet....said the car probably be returned until next week sometime.....they did give us a new Golf Sportwagen 4 Motion with 1400 miles on it....it is a decent car....don’t think I would buy one though...

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
I have had my VW for a week now. I really don't like the new tune. 3 issues: 1. Transmission reset to rev higher 2. Hardly any 'pulling' torque 3. worse mileage
Did you have the phase 1 fix done at the same time or are these changes just from the phase 2 fix?

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE

11 days? Wow... did they say why?:eek:

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
Bought with phase I fix

Did you have the phase 1 fix done at the same time or are these changes just from the phase 2 fix?

I purchased it new with the phase I already. The car just doesn't have the 'grunt' and pulling power it had before. If I'm in 6th gear(DSG) and push down on the pedal it downshifts into 5th. Before it would use its ample torque to accelerate in an impressive manner.

I really miss that torque! I could be humming along at 60 and push down on the accelerator and in rapid time I'd be doing 70 with NO downshift. At 2000 RPM the motor USED to have its max torque. Now I can't tell because it downshifts just like a WEAK gas engine!

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I purchased it new with the phase I already. The car just doesn't have the 'grunt' and pulling power it had before. If I'm in 6th gear(DSG) and push down on the pedal it downshifts into 5th. Before it would use its ample torque to accelerate in an impressive manner.

I really miss that torque! I could be humming along at 60 and push down on the accelerator and in rapid time I'd be doing 70 with NO downshift. At 2000 RPM the motor USED to have its max torque. Now I can't tell because it downshifts just like a WEAK gas engine!
Why don't you try putting the shifter in manual mode when in 6th gear, then at 60 MPH do your acceleration process and see what it feels like to get to 70 MPH. I'm thinking the change is in the transmission flash, not in engine capability (torque/power).

Let us know what your impression is after trying this change.

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
Good advice and I did it.

Why don't you try putting the shifter in manual mode when in 6th gear, then at 60 MPH do your acceleration process and see what it feels like to get to 70 MPH. I'm thinking the change is in the transmission flash, not in engine capability (torque/power).

Let us know what your impression is after trying this change.

I got the car up to around 60 mph and put my DSG tranny into manual mode. I stepped down on the accelerator and a VERY slow acceleration to 70 mph. This car is NOT the SAME CAR I brought into to get the phase 2 done. I am disappointed to say the least. I drove the 1.4 gas jetta last summer and my car acts like a small engined gas car where all the power comes from revving the engine up. This is not the way my 2009, 2012, and 2015 were! They had gobs of TORQUE.

I took it back to my VW service dept. Service advisor said they've done all they can do with it. Said they hooked my car up to a computer online and they reprogrammed my cars computer. Well they also put some hardware on it, and because of a CEL regarding adblue they replaced that hardware and later the adblue injector to turn the CEL off. Maybe this is a factor?

On a side note, I have averaged 41-43 mpg in suburban driving for 14,000 miles using fuelly software. My first tankful was 35 mpg and my second tankful was 39 mpg.

I am going to start making calls and writing emails to try to get my car straightened out. I have owned and driven 18 diesel VW's for 34 years. I would like to get the performance back for my Jetta I've owned for a year.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I got the feel from most who had Phase 2 done on their 2015 2.0L EA288 diesel engines that the car felt like it had more pep, more low end torque, and accelerated quicker than it did with Phase 1 only, and also got slightly better fuel economy after Phase 2. Yours sounds like it is acting opposite the general trend. That is unfortunate. Maybe someone who had a similar result as yours has a success story to tell about how they got the problem resolved.

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
I got the feel from most who had Phase 2 done on their 2015 2.0L EA288 diesel engines that the car felt like it had more pep, more low end torque, and accelerated quicker than it did with Phase 1 only, and also got slightly better fuel economy after Phase 2. Yours sounds like it is acting opposite the general trend. That is unfortunate. Maybe someone who had a similar result as yours has a success story to tell about how they got the problem resolved.

That is exactly what I thought. Something is amiss in my re-tune. Now to get someone to listen to me at VWofA!

Hill Billy

TDI
2015 Jetta
I had Phase 2 done last week. On my first fillup since done. Can't tell a lot about it yet. We are going to North Carolina first of next week, From my house to beach house is 460 miles. Been averaging 48/50 on highway. Will report when we get back---
Stay Tuned?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
That is exactly what I thought. Something is amiss in my re-tune. Now to get someone to listen to me at VWofA!
From your description it sounds like you put it into manual mode but didn't downshift. When you put it into manual mode, it'll be in whatever gear auto mode had it in, which has always been a gear or two higher than what it needs to be to get the engine response you're looking for, in my experience.

Try this: when you flip it over to manual mode, downshift (pull the shifter toward your elbow) once or twice and then see if you don't feel that grunt you are expecting. You don't have to wait until you get up to 60mph. This should be apparent from a stop.

After phase 2, mine is behaving much closer to my unfixed 2012.

bitslop

TDI
2015 GSW TDI S Manual
From your description it sounds like you put it into manual mode but didn't downshift. When you put it into manual mode, it'll be in whatever gear auto mode had it in, which has always been a gear or two higher than what it needs to be to get the engine response you're looking for, in my experience.
Try this: when you flip it over to manual mode, downshift (pull the shifter toward your elbow) once or twice and then see if you don't feel that grunt you are expecting. You don't have to wait until you get up to 60mph. This should be apparent from a stop.
After phase 2, mine is behaving much closer to my unfixed 2012.
I think not downshifting was his intent, though - from what I understand he said, the "old" behavior was that while holding it in 6th, his car had enough torque and power to have decent acceleration up to 70. Sounds like now he does have to downshift, and needing to downshift is the exact behavior he does not like.

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
Bitslop has it correct. I want to stay in 6th and push the accelerator down and have the torque of the engine do it. My TDI used to have gobs of torque and now it doesn't feel like the same car. Some engines develop torque by revving up. Diesel engines are naturally torque engines. I don't want it downshifting all the time. I just have to find the right person at VWofA and convince them!

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I re-read your earlier posts and saw what you were trying to do.

Your car seems to be acting different from the rest of ours if it seemed to have more torque post phase 1 than it does post phase 2.

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
I re-read your earlier posts and saw what you were trying to do.

Your car seems to be acting different from the rest of ours if it seemed to have more torque post phase 1 than it does post phase 2.

You are correct. In fact, mine is a DOG in 6th gear for accelerating. And I've lost 3-4 mpg. They did some hardware R&R and then on a 2nd visit had to fix my adblue injector. Somewhere along the way they messed up my car.

Ripster

TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI (sold), 2015 Passat SEL TDI, 2005 Cummins
I have the same complaints as you. I had a 2014 Passat and loved the power/torque. Recently purchased a 2015 CPO Passat SEL DSG and this thing is a turd! Zero low-end grunt. I had it at the dealer for MD state inspection and the service agent said Phase II was completed on it back in May 2018. She also said she is hearing the loss of power and mileage complaint from numerous customers. :mad:

Please keep this thread updated with any corrective measures. If I can't get mine fixed, I'm going to have to download a tune for it.