Engine shudder when coming to a stop

eberg

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI, Manual - 2000 Golf TDI, Manual
I would greatly appreciate some input on this issue with my ALH Golf.

The car has just rounded 300K km and generally pulls strong and runs very well. The one minor issue is that quite frequently the engine will shudder just as the car comes to a stop at an intersection.

It is a bit odd - I never have an issue when the car is running under load, or idling while standing still.

Is this possibly due to vacuum leaks?

Fuel is almost always from Shell. Diesel Purge and a new fuel filter was done 5K km ago.

No codes.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
This is caused by poor injector balance (cylinder to cylinder fuel quantity) and/or overfueling. The idle smoothing is disabled when the wheels are turning. If the nozzles have never been changed, now is a good time.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Also known as "slowdown shudder," this phenomenon is most commonly resolved by adjusting the IQ. Find a local owner of a VCDS if you do not own one yourself. You will also need torx bits and the security socket for the VE pump - it fits the odd looking bolt (out of the top 4) on the quantity adjuster of the injection pump.

Then look up 'hammer mod' to see how to do it.

It may take a bit of cut-and-try to get this done. I last adjusted mine (both of them) to 2.8 at idle and it worked perfect and still does. You may find that a slightly higher or lower number works best, but I think 2.8 is a good number to start from.

Cheers and good luck,

PH