Using A3 spin on oil filter on A4

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Jay:

Yes, I have thought about this, but it's easy to see that the A-4 filter cartridge is larger than the A-3's spin-on internal filter cartridge and can be changed a lot easier, in less time, and without making a mess. Costs less too.

M

mickey

You want to do WHAT???? Why? The drop-in cartridge is the single greatest advancement in engineering since the steam engine!

Don't you mean "use the A4 filter in the A3"? That would be great if it were possible. However, a filter relocation kit is a viable option if you're sick of digging for your spin-on filter.

-mickey

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
Let me tell you from disecting the A4 drop in filter - there is one heck of a lot of filtering media in there. Oh and it since it is all exposed you can see what the quality is like.

The best thing that happened to cheap ass rip off filter makers is the enclosed filter.
All the new Volvo's have this filter set up. You'd think there was some sort of advantage.

Other than the fact that you can easily remove the cap by hand - no special tools are needed - there is less mess - less wasted packaging - good all around.

You want better filtering? Use a bypass filter.

Ric Woodruff

BANNED, Ric went to Coventry.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Turbo Steve:
it's easy to see that the A-4 filter cartridge is larger than the A-3's spin-on internal filter cartridge and can be changed a lot easier, in less time, and without making a mess. Costs less too.[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll bet the AMSOIL SDF-15 filter has MORE filter media surface area than the A4 filter, and filters down to a smaller micron level, too.

------------------
Ric Woodruff

I'm not cheap... I just
know a good bargain
when I see one!

1998 Jetta TDI Custom Sport

S

SkyPup

Confused again Ric? I am condident that indeed you are totally confused as usual

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
mbciii, knows what I am talking about. If it was used (in addition to) would more filtering take place. Could a high quality (Amsoil) filter be spun on here instead of all the additional plumbing.