MN Chat Thread

Jetta09Chicago

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Minnesota Biodiesel Legislation

What are the implications of these changes for 2009 TDI owners? Once Minnesota's diesel supply surpasses the VW-mandated B5 maximum bio content, will Minnesotans be stuck without any petrodiesel options?

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Did some looking around...

B5 is approved for use in all Volkswagen of America TDI diesel vehicles. Biodiesel blend must meet all current petroleum industry specifications (ASTM D6751 and ASTM D975) and be purchased from a reputable commercial retail pump.

1/24/08

Found that on one website.

Good source for oem statements:
http://www.biotrucker.com/OEM/standards_warranties.asp

VW Statement:
http://www.biodiesel.org/pdf_files/OEM%20Statements/2005_OEM_VW%20US%20Biodiesel_Statement_5_16_05.pdf

Basically, from what I got out of it, VW recommends B5 biodiesel, but that if you use any other fuel to make sure that it meets national fuel standards (ASTM D6751 and ASTM D975) before using it.

This link has a guide for buying biodiesel:
http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodiesel/guide/guide_consumers.shtm

Link for fuel quality in Minnesota:
http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/fuelqualityguide/viewstate.aspx?state=Minnesota

Link for fuel quality (pick your state):
http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/fuelqualityguide/viewstate.aspx?state=Minnesota

Hope this helps somebody

MethylEster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5. Red, 5 Spd
Anyone know where to buy B20 or higher in the Twin Cities area ?

The last three stations I bought biodiesel at have stopped selling it.

astrolumen

TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5-speed Stock
MethylEster said:
No, but my hope is that with commodity prices falling since last year the producers will start kicking some quality stuff out again.

saxman1036

TDI
2003, VW Golf TDI, Blue
MethylEster said:

The last three stations I bought biodiesel at have stopped selling it.

T&T Automotive (66th & Portland in Richfield) has sold blends up to B90/99 in the summer, but they phase it in with warmer weather (usually May-late Sept). Last summer high prices made it unreasonable for them to sell it high blends and I haven't checked back with them since last September. Hopefully they'll give it another chance this year!

Lukehmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
01' Golf TDI
Hey all, im from duluth mn but just recently sold our house so im out of my awesome garage.. I am here in elk river for a few more weeks. I have to do an intake cleaning before i head back out to montana, i can provide the beer and maybe some dough if you have a place and a few minor tools for me to do it. PM or call me if this is a possibility. Thanks 218.340.9034

waitin4mine

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GL 5-Speed
alternator replacement

Hey, I did a different post on flashing generator light but am wondering if I need an alternator put in who might be able to help. Currently the car is running but if this is a hardware issue I don't want to let it go until I end up stranded somewhere. I would be happy to pay for the help :)))) ;)
Mary

TDI
2006 jetta
I have a 06 jetta tdi and have an intermitent rough idle shut key off and right back on and it runs fine? No codes or lights? had the glowplugs replaced and also the glow plug relay it had the engine light before these things were replaced can anyone help? Rob in Saint Francis MN thanks for any help

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
robs 2006 TDI jetta said:
I have a 06 jetta tdi and have an intermitent rough idle shut key off and right back on and it runs fine? No codes or lights? had the glowplugs replaced and also the glow plug relay it had the engine light before these things were replaced can anyone help? Rob in Saint Francis MN thanks for any help
See the link above your post...he is close to you and can help you out. Good luck. :)

passatmrb

Veteran Member
TDI
96 TDI Wagon
B100

Yipee, B100 is back at the Wanamingo Co-Op. $2.449/gl. Located at Mn 60 & Mn 57, Wanamingo MN. I checked this week at the Apple Valley Marathon. They will not have B20 this year.

Last edited:

astrolumen

TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5-speed Stock
passatmrb said:
Yipee, B100 is back at the Wanamingo Co-Op. $2.449/gl. Located at Mn 60 & Mn 57, Wanamingo MN.
That's great news! Thanks. Does anyone know if T&T in Richfield will carry any blends (other than our new B5 req)?

MethylEster

Veteran Member
TDI
passatmrb said:
Yipee, B100 is back at the Wanamingo Co-Op. $2.449/gl. Located at Mn 60 & Mn 57, Wanamingo MN. I checked this week at the Apple Valley Marathon. They will not have B20 this year.
Passatmrb - Do you know what blend of bio the Co-Op is going with this year?

Reason I ask is because of the fuel gelling problems they encountered last year at the beginning of the season. Reason turned out to be there was a sizeable % of animal fat derived Bio that gelled up and separated out of the blend when the ambient temperature dropped below 60F.

Just for reference 100% soybean oil based bio is good down to 35F.

passatmrb

Veteran Member
TDI
96 TDI Wagon
B100

They will have B100 at the pump. Make you own blend. Or as I will do, fill my bulk tank at home. Think I will do that with B30.

MethylEster

Veteran Member
TDI
By blend I didn't mean B30 or B70. What I meant was how much of the B100 is from soybeans and how much is from animal fats.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Ok, who was running East on the St Cloud Highway 23 bypass at noonish, Silver Golf TDI sticker, Got 50 MPG on the back. I was in the Red F350 behind you, my co-workers said, yep, just like yours, stuff all over the dash.

Lukehmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
01' Golf TDI
Some pics of the trip out to montana..

North Dakota

Almost to the end of ND

Into Montana

Can you tell im glad to be in the Mountains?

sawdustgf

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
Sam,
That was me and my wife in St. Cloud, we were wondering who that was in the Red Super Duty honking at us. We were on a short trip out to Wisconsin.
Just went over the 232,000 mile mark on that trip. Of course there is junk on the dash, GPS, Scanguage, & Digital Thermometer. Wouldn't be without it.

Brad

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Lukehmk4, pretty pictures, why is your rear wiper up like that?

sawdustgf, I need to get a plate that says, my other car is a TDI, it never fails, I'm either on the bike or in the truck when I see a TDIclub member.

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
I am not sure if everyone knew this already or not, but Checker/O'Reilly(Forest Lake) carry Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck and Wick oil filters (at least for my A5). I had been ordering everything from WorldImpex. I did still have to order fuel filters. Does anyone know of a local source for the fuel filters besides the Dealer?
$6.99/quart
$12 for oil filter
Think it was a buck for the oil plug.

Lukehmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
01' Golf TDI
My entire rear hatch is a POS. rust, some ass took a key to it before i owned it , rear wiper doesn't work at all.

merkerguitars

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta
Hey guys,

Just wanted to say sorry to anyone who has sent me a pm lately about worry, I was busy for awhile.

But now I'm laid off from the dealership. (I still work at the independent shop in Hudson).

If you guys need anything I have way more free time now. Plus my one VW mechanic buddy lives with me now.

Lukehmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
01' Golf TDI
For sure leppy, i know where one is at perfect but i would have to swap the TDI symbol. or get a new one. How is the OMI coming along?

Leppy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 white TDI 1.9l
TDI symbol is like 15 bucks. Its not too hard to shave it off. The OMI is not even started yet. I will run in there on monday I think. It should take way less time. I will for sure test fit it. I will take some pics and post them here too :)