Differences Between Golf TDI and Jetta TDI

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
I've owned a Jetta TDI for 5½ years which I just surrendered in the Buyback. I already got a replacement car for myself, but I'm looking for a car for my son.

Just saw and test drove a 2014 Golf TDI. It's been "fixed". But it didn't feel like my Jetta TDI, didn't have the same zip, the same feel. I wasn't quite expecting that, I thought they'd be very similar. So I don't know if this is just not a good used car, or if it's the Fix, or if it's something else. Any thoughts?

And what differences, if any, should I expect between a 2014 Golf TDI vs a 2013 Jetta TDI?

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I have always found the Mk6 Golf TDIs to have a better build quality and feel overall then the Jetta. Concerning the fix performance wise, I have noticed very little performance difference. Manual or DSG car?

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
I have always found the Mk6 Golf TDIs to have a better build quality and feel overall then the Jetta. Concerning the fix performance wise, I have noticed very little performance difference. Manual or DSG car?
As far as the quality of the interior differences, Jetta sedan, yes. JSW? No.

Jetta sedan was built to a cheap price point and it showed terrible. The Golf and JSW were of much better quality build wise.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
As far as the quality of the interior differences, Jetta sedan, yes. JSW? No.
Jetta sedan was built to a cheap price point and it showed terrible. The Golf and JSW were of much better quality build wise.

I agree. And the base price reflects that. 2010 Jetta sedan was still a Golf with a trunk, base price was around $21k, while a year later the 2011 NCS Jetta base price was $15k.

That said, I do not think the NCS is a "cheap" car in a crappy sense, it is just a more value minded for the American consumer. If you purchased one with a TDI engine, you just got a cheap car with an expensive engine. The NCS I believe is also lighter.

I think the best value NCS Jetta was the S model, with no options. Cost about the same as the ill fated Scion IQ, and was [literally] twice the car. I know lots of people that snatched these up. I almost bought one, and now that the 2.slo is gone, I regret not doing so. Sturdy, simple, reliable, durable.