ALH from 98 bug into 96 Audi S6

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
96 A6 Avant TDI Quattro, 04 Jetta Wagon
Just a little to-do list while I'm here, mostly making it for myself as the day this gets started is getting CLOSE!

- do all work that needs to be done on S6 prior to engine swap
- remove AAN from S6
- put 6th gear in 01E
- figure out mounting for ALH as best as I can
- remove ALH from bug, test placement in S6
- do all belts/seals/gaskets etc.
- determine if I'm going to do a power steering pump swap (for brakes) OR perform vacuum assist mod in the S6
- figure out whether to mount to tranny before/after mounting engine
- mount engine/tranny in car
- swap engine harness/wiring/cluster/ECU/MAF
- swap go-pedal from the bug
- install fuel pressure regulator
- figure out fuel lines
- figure out intake tract
- exhaust

Is there anything that I'm missing? I have mounting, air, electrical, brakes, tranny, and fuel covered.

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Just today, actually :D

Have a bunk inner CV joint on the bug. I think I'm just going to save myself the $80 and rip the motor out. I really can't justify spending any money on the drivetrain/chassis of the bug when I'm this close to starting the swap.

Since April I've done nothing as far as the swap goes, so I think it's safe to say that it's officially starting!

One bit of enlightenment I've had is from a friend's TDI swap into a Audi 90 - he kept the in-tank fuel pump, and just ran an H fuel line setup so that the IP took whatever fuel it needed, and the excess flows back into the return.

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
One bit of enlightenment I've had is from a friend's TDI swap into a Audi 90 - he kept the in-tank fuel pump, and just ran an H fuel line setup so that the IP took whatever fuel it needed, and the excess flows back into the return.
his picture:

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Didn't get any photos, but the TDI engine is 99% out. I need to remove the two engine mounts and pull it. Amazing what you can do in 3.5 hours. Yeehaw!

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Removed the trans from the motor finally. Checked to see if it'll mate with the 01E transmission - at first I couldn't get them to line up and I was a little frustrated. Then I figured it out :) Just needed a little rotation as per Scott's advice.

Turns out the AAN clutch/flywheel won't work. So I'll be in it for a clutch and flywheel at least! I've still got to rip the wiring out and try to wrap my head around that. First though is removing the AAN, a sandblast of the tranny, a coat of POR15, and then put that in. Then I can mount the TDI in the engine bay and make up some engine mounts!

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
Sounds like a good plan, just re-reading through the thread, did you ever decide/determine which turbo you're going to use? I got my flywheel clutch and pressure plate from southbend through Scott. Waiting to get the head back before tearing into everything again.

Looking good,
Jon

Edit: I believe others have used a flywheel from a 1.8T Passat with success. It would be a dual mass though I believe.

Last edited:

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for taht tip about the 1.8t passat flywheel. I'll look into that.

If I do a turbo swap it'll be either the 17/22 or simply a rebuild/bore out/upgrade of the vnt15. There's a semi-local guy who's doing it right now with Cherry Turbo, who I'd go through as well.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
FYI, I am running a 22lb 1.8T SouthBend SMF in my Passat, it is chattery but other than that and the price, it is doing pretty well for me.

I might have missed something but if you're using B5 engine support brackets, the VNT15 and VNT17/22 might be problematic because of how they hug the engine, the longitudinal AFN/AHU/AHH setup might have to be used.
You can kind of see it here: http://stuff.jfettigmachines.com/tdi/Intake/tn_IMG_2482.jpg

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, the price for the FW is the worst part, haha. I'm probably looking at ~1200 for the entire kit :(

I won't be using the engine mounts or any VAG mounts. Nothing will fit since the A6 that came with a TDI was the AHU (and they have different bosses), so I'll be making my own. Just simple steel stuff, using the original rubber (turned poly by me) frame mounts.

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
started the teardown of the tranny tonight. this is going to be fun.... definitely going to need the Bentley!

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Subscribed! I've been trying to figure out the best way to get a TDI under the hood of my 94 CSQ Avant. (Other than importing a TDI one complete from Europe!)

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Ordered the clutch/flywheel today... guhhhhh. There goes $1100 really fast!

Still working on (re: haven't been to the shop since last time) taking apart the 01E. Seems it's a bit of a pain but I'll have it apart soon.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
I know the feeling. But better to buy enough now than to have to buy it later and do the job again. That's half the reason my Audi isn't back up and running again.

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Engine finally out of the S6 - man that engine bay is biiiiiiiiiiig!

I think that perhaps the most intimidating part of the swap is the wiring. Thank goodness my dad's around to help me with that.

So, next up is to continue taking apart the 01E and put the 6th gear in. Then I can mount it in the car and make up some engine mounts for the ALH!

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Got the 01E apart today - looks like putting in the 6th gear will be easy-peasy, and I don't have to take the whole tranny apart to do it, either. I had to call JHmotorsports to see how the rear case came off... so we made up a sweet little *pusher* that pushes the case off of the bearing using the shaft. Anyway, thanks to Dan @ JHmotorsports for that bit of help.

Pics coming soon, just don't have time at the moment.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
Got the 01E apart today - looks like putting in the 6th gear will be easy-peasy, and I don't have to take the whole tranny apart to do it, either. I had to call JHmotorsports to see how the rear case came off... so we made up a sweet little *pusher* that pushes the case off of the bearing using the shaft. Anyway, thanks to Dan @ JHmotorsports for that bit of help.

Pics coming soon, just don't have time at the moment.
Yes you only have to remove the rear most case to pull the 5th gear then install the 6th gear. Don't forget to install the 6 speed shift cylinder, install the 6th gear thrust cap over the spring clip and remove the spacer off the 5-6 shift rod.

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Got the 6spd back together today! Here are some photos...

Empty(ish) engine bay!

Motor mounts that I'm using - just have to make the brackets

6spd conversion:

The parts I've had for over a year...

Mmmm differential

This bolt was a bugger to get out... 111ftlb

Then had to force the rear case off using a bolt, nut, impact socket, and homemade washer

Better shot...

Exposed!

That looks a bit different...

Back together, ready to go in the car!

Last edited:

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
I was thinking I was going to put the tranny in today so I started looking for the related parts... found my axles and realized they needed to be rebuilt. SO I spend the day rebuilding CV joints! 8 in total... what a greasy messy day. But now it's done and they're all sexy and clean :)

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Clutch and flywheel arrived! At my parents' house so I haven't seen them yet.

Other than that, got the tranny in today, and cleaned the engine bay. It's almost time to start figuring out the mounts! Just have to hook up the driveshaft (bit of a delay, found the CV joint is missing two bearings, gotta rebuild) and then the axles for the driveline to be complete.

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
I decided to take a break from the drivetrain and focus on the motor today. Got the power steering pump from the //S mounted on the TDI. Took a bit of cutting and some ghetto-bracketing, but it's there and lines up and spins! While I wait for the ball bearings for the CV joint I'm going to clean up and do all of the things I was planning on the engine (TB, rear main seal, bunch of other little things).

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Updating my to-do list. Again, mostly for myself.

- do all work that needs to be done on S6 prior to engine swap
- remove AAN from S6
- put 6th gear in 01E

- figure out mounting for ALH as best as I can
- remove ALH from bug, test placement in S6
- do all belts/seals/gaskets etc.
- determine if I'm going to do a power steering pump swap (for brakes) OR perform vacuum assist mod in the S6- POWER STEERING PUMP SWAP
- figure out whether to mount to tranny before/after mounting engine
- mount engine/tranny in car
- swap engine harness/wiring/cluster/ECU/MAF
- swap go-pedal from the bug
- install fuel pressure regulator
- figure out fuel lines
- figure out intake tract
- exhaust

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Alright so time for some pics and updates.

Shot of the cleaned up S6 engine bay with 01E installed:

And my rebuild CV joints... that took some time:

Power steering pump completed:

Mounting on the back of the pump, you can see where I cut the original bracket and added my own awesome steel bit (near the blue label):

First of all, got the oil cooler seals changed (below where you change the oil filter). I would advise anyone with a fairly old car (~10 years) to change these seals. When I pulled the old seals out, they were hard and brittle, not flexible, and visibly smaller due to squishing/shrinking. I swapped them out because last winter I was having a problem on very cold mornings where the oil cooler would puke oil out the top making a nice mess. Anyway, I can see why now (because of the shrunken seal).

This pic might not look that good to you but trust me, it's effin' clean compared to before!

So the motor is ready for a TB job. Should be pretty nice with the engine out. Going to do full TB with cam seal, front crank seal, and rear crank seal.
I think I may have an oil leak on the cam seal, as I didn't do it when I did my TB about 100km ago. I'll know better when I remove that plastic shield where the oil is coming from, but it seems to be pretty high up.

VIDEO- of the shaft play in the VNT-15 - perhaps it's time for a rebuild? What do you think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9utHSirtuw

Last edited:

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Removed all the TB stuff tonight except for the crank cog. Have to pull it tomorrow, I'm replacing the front main seal.

I also likely need a new valve cover. Gasket on mine is toast, didn't know you couldn't just buy one separate! That's dumb. I also removed the intake manifold to clean the head a bit. It's pretty clean (due to driving it RIGHT for the last 50k) but not perfect yet. I'll just speed up that process :)

Only things I need for the engine are valve cover, serp belt, crank cog bolt, and oil filter. Then she'll be together, leak free, and ready to go in!

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Just a bit of work completed tonight. Removed the crank cog and replaced the front seal along with cleaning up the seal plate or whatever it's called. Looks MUCH nicer now! It was covered in oil and dirt from the suspected leaky cam seal.

Pretty much ready for the TB to go on, just have to clean a few things up and we're off!

I have a new valve cover coming from Roseland (and stuff mentioned above except the bolt - already had one!). I also have to torque the crank bolt... 88ftlb + 90* for that sucker.

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Got most of the timing belt stuff back together today. Looks purdy.

Broke the stupid coolant manifold off, where the coolant glow plugs are. Engine spun around on the stand and it hit a support. I need that, I'll have to look up the part # when I get home.

I also realized that setting the crank to TDC is going to be difficult to get perfect without a transmission. There's also no TDC mark on the aftermarket 1.8T longitudinal flywheel, so once I set TDC with the ALH flywheel I'll replace it and put a mark on the flywheel. Thankfully I have an AHU tranny sitting here that I can bolt up to set TDC with. Once I set the TDC I'll be good to go!