Pierre's 2003 Golf TDI Build

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Hi Pierre,
Did you blueprint (measure and remeasure) this rebuild? When you grind the head, it may lower the "resting" valve placement by that much in the cylinder bore, (adding to increased lift from sport cam too). Glad to hear you clearanced your pistons, but you should know (calculate/measure) the clearances, not guess. I usually cc the combustion chambers for custom builds, and also use modeling clay to check squish clearances. Simply place 2x 1/4" balls of soft modeling clay on either side of piston crown and bolt on head with HG in place and "carefully/manually" rotate piston up into TDC. Remove head and see the physical clearance in the smashed clay. You can heat the clay with hot air and harden it for future show and tell. Did you use gapless rings? What are your ring gaps if not? Did you also plastigage mains and rods?

Good luck with the build.

TDI's are simple like lawnmowers, just be glad you are not putting back together a TT225 AWD BT car!

Jeff

Last edited:

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Hi Pierre,
Did you blueprint (measure and remeasure) this rebuild? When you grind the head, it may lower the valve placement by that much in the cylinder bore. Glad to hear you clearanced your pistons, but you should know (calculate/measure) the clearances, not guess. I usually cc the combustion chambers for custom builds, and also use modeling clay to check squish clearances. Simply place 2x 1/4" balls of soft modeling clay on either side of piston crown and bolt on head with HG in place and rotate piston up into TDC. Remove head and see the physical clearance in the smashed clay. You can heat the clay with hot air and harden it for future show and tell. Did you use gapless rings? What are your ring gaps if not? Did you also plastigage mains and rods?
TDI's are simple like lawnmowers, just be glad you are not putting back together a TT225 AWD BT car!

Jeff
Jeff,
That's a great idea on how to check for clearance and very simple, too!

jsrmonster

TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Jeff,
That's a great idea on how to check for clearance and very simple, too!
As long as you keep it the same (or a bit more) as the engineers designed it, valves won't bump heads with pistons, rings won't bind, etc. I've seen too many builders F-up motors by blindly reengineering tolerances, and choosing wrong HG's, etc. btw, I just learned of a shop using a "one-hole" gasket on a highly modified motor, that can't be good! (for those who don't know, HG's come in 3 sizes with 1/2/3 hole markings denoting the thickness)
Jeff

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
As long as you keep it the same (or a bit more) as the engineers designed it, valves won't bump heads with pistons, rings won't bind, etc. I've seen too many builders F-up motors by blindly reengineering tolerances, and choosing wrong HG's, etc. btw, I just learned of a shop using a "one-hole" gasket on a highly modified motor, that can't be good! (for those who don't know, HG's come in 3 sizes with 1/2/3 hole markings denoting the thickness)
Jeff
So deepening the pockets is only 1/2 of the equation when installing a rebuild/machined head. The other 1/2 is making sure the clearances stay close to factory specs by using the appropriate HG's thickness after measuring for clearance. This is great info and easy to digest ...

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Ok, I am back on the road.

Picked up the car tonight from TST , the local VW performance shop where I had it towed Monday am after my issue. On Sunday night, right at start up, I had an oil leak all over the newly installed timing belt and all over the engine. At at that point and after working on it almost 30 hours over the weekend I gave up and decided to let somebody else clean up the mess and fix it.

Turns out there was not cam seal in the head and I did not bother to check when I got the head so I did not put one in. Started up the car and did the cam break in revving the car to 2000 rpm for 20 minutes. Meanwhile oil was leaking through the cam seal and I did not even notice b/c I was in the car with the foot on the accelerator and my eyes on the rpm gauge.

It does not appear like there was any damage to the engine and I am pretty happy about that. I just got home and put on the first 17 miles on my newly rebuilt engine. I will try to put about 200 on it tomorrow and shooting to have 1000 within a couple weeks so I can hit the track again w/ it.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
If you need putting mileage on it i am planning a long trip this coming week - about 1000 miles of driving! Let me know if I can be of any assistance! I will cover partial fuel cost :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:
BTW, how is it driving now? Pulling harder?

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tnx for the advice Jeff...

No, I did not do the modeling clay to measure the clearance. I just measured how far the valves stick out (without the cam tightened down) and used the one which sticks out most to do my ghetto calculations.

I did not go for gapless rings this time either and did not gap the rings. I just put them in as it.

here is my ghetto blue print and how I arrived at clearances..

Hi Pierre,
Did you blueprint (measure and remeasure) this rebuild? When you grind the head, it may lower the "resting" valve placement by that much in the cylinder bore, (adding to increased lift from sport cam too). Glad to hear you clearanced your pistons, but you should know (calculate/measure) the clearances, not guess. I usually cc the combustion chambers for custom builds, and also use modeling clay to check squish clearances. Simply place 2x 1/4" balls of soft modeling clay on either side of piston crown and bolt on head with HG in place and "carefully/manually" rotate piston up into TDC. Remove head and see the physical clearance in the smashed clay. You can heat the clay with hot air and harden it for future show and tell. Did you use gapless rings? What are your ring gaps if not? Did you also plastigage mains and rods?

Jeff

Seems to be working good... lots of smoke though but I thing this is from the injectors set to max fueling. It should work well with the 2260vk which is hopefully on it's way.

Where are you going for 1000 miles? LA and back?

If you need putting mileage on it i am planning a long trip this coming week - about 1000 miles of driving! Let me know if I can be of any assistance! I will cover partial fuel cost :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:
BTW, how is it driving now? Pulling harder?

Last edited:

jsrmonster

TDI
Damn Pierrre, always some drama in your garage!
fyi, I always glue in cam and crank seals with adhesive! That way I don't forget, in my old age. Best way to learn things is the hard way as long as its someone elses fupduck.

Jeff

eddif

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD Automatic
Tnx for the advice Jeff...

No, I did not do the modeling clay to measure the clearance. I just measured how far the valves stick out (without the cam tightened down) and used the one which sticks out most to do my ghetto calculations.

I did not go for gapless rings this time either and did not gap the rings. I just put them in as it.

here is my ghetto blue print and how I arrived at clearances..

Seems to be working good... lots of smoke though but I thing this is from the injectors set to max fueling. It should work well with the 2260vk which is hopefully on it's way.

The TDIs are interference engines. The piston valve pocket never is deep enough to let the cam get out of time. In certain performance situations (RPM, equipment and timing retard / advance) valve contact can take place. When RPM is higher there needs to be more clearance. The hydraulic followers used in the TDIs do not have a limit to pump up (either clip or retainer). There is a clip to keep the hydraulic part of the follower in place, but nothing to limit pump up. IMHO the more you plan to rev a TDI follower, the more care you should use to give extra clearance. You especially have to be more careful when using different cam profiles and cam installation timing (retard / advance).

The clay or light springs on a temporary head fit is about the only way to know where the valve is in relation to the piston at the points they are at lift that puts the valve in danger of piston contact. Clay just does this job. The other way is a cam card, degree wheel, lite spring and a lot of knowledge. I have helped with the degree wheel, but honestly I am dumb enough to like to check with clay too.

I do not race but my buddy calls every once in awhile and we do spring installed height calculations etc.(big block Ford). He does it I just help with the math, read the degree wheel etc. If he turns off the Rev Limiter in the bleach box you see nice little valve marks on the piston tops. Even with all the care you can muster, you push the limit on valve piston contact.

eddif

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver

Sat and Sun going skiing, then heading home, changing the content of the car, Mon-Wed near Lancaster, Fri-Sun in San Diego.
I promise I will be gentle and blow out all the soot for you in you let me drive the Golf - come think of it with that suspension set-up it might hurt my back!
If the 2260 is on its way, are you looking for a home for the 17/22? How about the 6 speed tranny; when will that one get installed?

Last edited:

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you did not go skiing every weekend, they be coming a lot sooner than that :p

... PD150 Airbox, PD150 Turbo Inlet Pipe, PD150 Intake, PD150 EGR and VNT17 coming by 2011 year's end! :rolleyes:

Put another few miles on the rebuilt motor... She pulls frickin hard...

Bill the new head is AWESOME... I think it pulls even harder than before .... did you put some secret spice in there? leaned a little harder on the dye grinder? Whatever you did..... it is dope! :D

Today I :

-changed the battery, (was the original 03 in there)...
-advanced the pump timing to 90
-set the IQ to around 5.0
-bought & installed a new tranny mount... gone is my torque steer issue... :D:D:D

Can't wait for the miles to add up to 1000 so I can really start leaning hard on her....

Last edited:

87turboquattro

Veteran Member
TDI
97 passat
Put another few miles on the rebuilt motor... She pulls frickin hard...

Bill the new head is AWESOME... I think it pulls even harder than before .... did you put some secret spice in there? leaned a little harder on the dye grinder? Whatever you did..... it is dope! :D
thanks,i did tweak it alittle from the other head.wait till you get the big turbo on.:eek:

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
tothemax; Put another few miles on the rebuilt motor... She pulls frickin [I said:
hard[/I]...

Bill the new head is AWESOME... I think it pulls even harder than before .... did you put some secret spice in there? leaned a little harder on the dye grinder? Whatever you did..... it is dope! :)
How much harder can the little white beast pull? Last year when I rode in the car with you a WOT just inflicted pain in my back! It would be fun to take her on a track with banked curves:D

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How much harder can the little white beast pull? Last year when I rode in the car with you a WOT just inflicted pain in my back! It would be fun to take her on a track with banked curves:D
Are you free Feb 6th? Laguna Seca You will need a SNELL helmet

This guys has some SA2010 and he's local in Lafayette CA

Last edited:

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Buying my helmet today! I was going to go to the GTG in ORregon but this sounds like an opportunity not to be missed ... :eek:
That's GREAT!! I think MAXRPM is coming too.

DON'T forget that SA2000 or SA2005 helmets will not be allowed after 2010

Lots of great great deals now on expired helmets... make sure you don't get an expired one and you specify you want SA2010

Last edited:

xDieselxTunerx

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL, 2010 BMW 335d, 2014 BMW 535d
I just looked through your whole thread and all I can say is your golf is amazing! I regret selling my tdi golf everyday and after seeing yours just makes it 100x worst. Keep up the great work man

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah!! Wayy too much fun.. Pulling like a MOFO!! 1500 miles on the new rings...

Going to put in the 6 speed this week.... Big boy turbo on the way..

not much to report at the moment

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Yeah!! Wayy too much fun.. Pulling like a MOFO!! 1500 miles on the new rings...

Going to put in the 6 speed this week.... Big boy turbo on the way..

not much to report at the moment
Eager to hear your findings after the big boy turbo and remap. I think you'll still say MOFO, just in a much larger font :eek:

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, Can't wait.. .hopefully will be able to stay with Robert and Justin after the turbo goes in. I will still have only a 11 pump but hoping I could approach what I dynoed on NOS.

Spoke to David tonight and he is well under way. Thinking of changing the IC pipe routing to a driver side PD150 IM. Getting w/ Ryan to see if he's got one on hand.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Today the boys at took out the 5 speed and installed a 6 speed in my TDI...

Mannnn! Am I glad I let the pros handled this job instead of trying to fight this 6 speed under my car in my garage...

There is no substitute for experience. Ken ordered all the parts I needed and scheduled the job for me. Kevin and Simon did a bang up job doing the 6 speed swap ... while Tim did the final quality control on the Job. All the parts fit perfectly and the whole thing went smoothly and without any hick ups.

Thank you Tomas Sports Tuning Team for the excellent and timely job swapping my trannies.

More photos of TST shop here

5 speed out _________________________________ 6 speed waiting to go in

New lightened flywheel installed

Last edited: