MK IV Single DIN to Aftermarket Double DIN Install Kit

Racer007

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
My local stereo shop said it would be cost prohibitive to custom install my Kenwood Double DIN Cassette/CD player as there was nothing there to mount it to in my 2001 MK IV VW Golf GLS TDI. Does any one know of an install kit to make this conversion and where I could find it. Is this a labor intensive conversion? I have done some searches on this here and cannot find a definitive answer. I can't see spending $300 to install a $150 unit. Thanks for any help other wise I ned to try and return my unit.

Audiofyl

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 05 indigo blue
does the kenwood come with a mounting cage like any standard single din would have? if so, it's no more difficult that installing a single din. Here's a pioneer I did a while back.

Racer007

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
The Kenwood only comes with two brackets for the side of the unit no cage. The stereo shop said it was for Toyota Nissan Honda and thoight there was nothing on my Golf to mount these too. Will these brackets mount to anything inside the holes from the Single Din radio and cubby hole?

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
If I recall, there wasn't any sort of mounting bracket that was included with my single-din in-dash CD player from VW to facilitate the installation. The only thing that was required was an extension of the wiring from behind the stereo because it was supposed to be relocated to where the map pocket sits and the CD player was installed below it.

Try taking it to a different stereo installation shop because these guys you're talking to seem like they're just guessing.

I currently have the stock stereo sitting up where the map pocket was and I removed the CD player in preperation for installing my gauges below the radio. I'll post tonight after work and let you know what is inside and if there's a place for your double-din to mount.

Here's a pic of what the radio cage inside looks like and it might give you some insight to help as well.

Racer007

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
I went to another stereo shop and still no luck in finding an install kit. When you installed your double DIN above was it a custom job you did yourself or was it a standard fit. Any info would be appreciated.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
What "kit" are you looking for? Surely all that is needed is a coupple of holes drilled in the mounting frame for the screws (if they aren't there already...).

Audiofyl

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 05 indigo blue
that pioneer comes with a cage that slides right into the full opening just as a single din would. If your kenwood doesn't have that, then it won't be that easy. I doubt you'd find an install kit for it. However, I've heard of kenwood units that had a mounting cage before, not sure of the model though.

Racer007

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
I called Kenwood this afternoon. They don't have a cage for it and I already have two sets of side brackets that came with the head unit. Do I need more than the side brackets for my 2001 Golf? I just thought the side brackets would mount inside the hole in the console like any other car. I am getting different stories from the two shops I have been too already so that is why I am wondering if this can be mounted properly or not. Does VW have a cage for their double DIN units for their 2002 and up MK IVs? Thanks for any info.

Audiofyl

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 05 indigo blue
the brackets that you have are most likely for mounting in a toyota/nissan style dash where the radio is bolted to the frame of the dash and the cosmetic bezel snaps over the top of it. The vw doesn't work that way. I'm sure you can find a shop that can mount it for you, but it will most likely be more expensive than a standard install.