2011 sportwagon diesel purge help.

Kimper

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportswagon
Before I do this I want to make sure I do this right. What lines do I disconnect and run to the bottle of diesel purge and is the anything else I have to do with this car before I do this. I have read the write up on the How-To’s the fuel filter set up on a MK6 is a little different. I also read something about pulling a fuse but it wasn’t really clear on what one.

Last edited:

Kimper

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportswagon
The car has 60,000 miles on it and is one of those recall cars so I know it’s been sitting for 3+ years and has sat and idled while being transported around for who knows how many hours. More or less its for my piece of mind. O’ and it kind of hesitates when your in higher gears at lower RPMS (1100-1300) so there that as well.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
The car has 60,000 miles on it and is one of those recall cars so I know it’s been sitting for 3+ years and has sat and idled while being transported around for who knows how many hours. More or less its for my piece of mind. O’ and it kind of hesitates when your in higher gears at lower RPMS (1100-1300) so there that as well.

I think you should change your fuel filter for a start. At 60,000 miles it should be ready for the 2nd or 3rd filter

But who am I, not a mechanic.

Kimper

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportswagon
I drive the car 5 days a week to work which is 130 miles round trip and I cruise at 75mph (2100-2200rpm) so I am pretty sure what ever contaminates the particulate filter is catching is getting burnt off properly which eliminates that thought..

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Is the engine hesitating, or is the DSG hesitating (normal!) before it decides to follow your right foot input? Are you familiar with DSG characteristics? A brief lag, especially at lower RPMs, is normal.

What kind of MPG (pencil and paper, NOT computer calculated) are you getting?

I still don't understand why you want to do the purge. I would reserve that for an engine that's experience serious issues. I understand that "piece [sic] of mind" is important, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!

So...now you have a piece of MY mind!:p

Kimper

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportswagon
I am not familiar with DSG characteristics, and I am getting around 38-39 mpg (by pencil) on the highway. Sure my foot might be heavier then it should but when you spend 10 hours a week driving to work you don’t want to spend and more time doing it then what you have to.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
The TDI DSG, in my experience, requires some adjustment. It's never happy with quick throttle input, feels like it bogs down momentarily. The phrase I read here is, "ROLL into the throttle", meaning a gentle squeeze of the fuel pedal.
Sudden input, sometimes needed while turning left in between oncoming traffic, can be dangerous, as the DSG will hesitate, for sure. You have to plan carefully, and squeeze the throttle. After a few miles of doing this, it becomes automatic.

My 2009 (possibly different DSG gearing) COULD get 42-43mpg, if I kept below 65mph. I don't think your 2011 will do much better. Lifetime in my 2009 Sportwagon was 35-38mpg, combined C/H.

So, if you're cruising much above 65mph, expect 38-39mpg.

Based on that, I wouldn't bother with the diesel purge. Wait until you see/feel a need to do it.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
My 2009 (possibly different DSG gearing) COULD get 42-43mpg, if I kept below 65mph. I don't think your 2011 will do much better. Lifetime in my 2009 Sportwagon was 35-38mpg, combined C/H.
So, if you're cruising much above 65mph, expect 38-39mpg.

So you are saying that you do not drive at 85Mph and get 60+ Mpg?
How odd there are many in these forums who say that's what they get.:rolleyes: