02j differential question

Steamroller69

TDI
2005 jetta tdi gls
My differential seals were leaking pretty badly. I decided to remove the transmission and install a clutch and the seals. 150k miles. I removed the transmission and noticed there is front to back movement in the axle flanges. Maybe 1-2mm at most. But this could definitely wipe out the output flange seals. Is a slight front to back movement normal. The service manual mentions a sleeve but i would imagine it could be bearings. I really dont want to split the transmission if i dont have to. Any help would be awesome

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
The transmissions that I have done diff bearing replacements (020, 02J/A) on, none showed any radial or axial play after doing the work.

If you have a small amount of axial play I’m sure you’ll be fine. However, if your seeing radial play on the DF’s, this is a good indication that your diff bearings are worn out. If you drive with this condition, your gonna leak, or worse, the diff ring will eventually wear a nice hole in your case
( extreme case)
I would keep an eye on it for now and not panic [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Steamroller69

TDI
2005 jetta tdi gls
Im going to drop it a a local shop and see what it would cost to have him do it. I really dont have all the tools or time to do it.

Steamroller69

TDI
2005 jetta tdi gls
My local transmission shop guy thinks it is cost prohibitive to rebuild it. So i ordered one from Frans