How big of a turbo can a 1.9 BEW run??

ZTruitt7

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I was just curious to see how big of a turbo my 2004 1.9 BEW can run without it having to be spooled up to a crazy high rpm. Dumb question I know but I just thought I'd ask. I want to do a compound setup using a holset hx35 and possibly replace the stock turbo with a vnt-17/22 but I don't know how much bigger than a 17/22 I could run.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
talk to ryanP.. he seems to be able to answer that question for you..

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
What are your goals and what are you doing with the vehicle... You can run a larger turbo's than a gtb2056 the question is what is your ultimate goal and how much are you willing to spend to support the turbo.
Big turbos are great but there is much more to a turbo choice than whats the biggest I can run. For example lets say you put a big turbo on your car and you make 250+ hp you are doing to break a lot of your parts on your car in a hurry.. Whats the point?
What supporting mods do you want to do, is this a daily driver, drag car or highway machine, or are you a numbers man.. ;)

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
17/22 is not really that big of a turbo for a 1.9 like they used to be considered. You can also go bigger than the 2056 already mentioned (funny, but the poster first mentioning it has a bigger 2260 but still said 2056 as the answer to 'biggest' single :rolleyes:). Then in your second post you are concerned about expense? "How big of turbo" you can run, or the compounds you mention should not be considered on a budget basis. Neither goal will be inexpensive by hardly anyone's standard. I'm thinking that if you were heir to a banking or oil fortune, you would not be mentioning expense in the first place ;).

Point is that the turbo cost is only a minor part of the expense of such a build. If the Darkside kits seem expensive to you, you might want to back away from the diving board and get comfortable in the shallow end of the pool first.

I am a fan of analyzing power cost ratio with my customers build plans - 25 HP costs X, 50 HP costs Y, 75 HP costs Z, and so on. Some of the best value is found in the first 50 HP. After that the value ratio changes exponentially in a less favorable direction.

Just my 2 cents...

ZTruitt7

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I understand that they're will be money involved lol and that it's not cheap. It is a daily driver and I plan on keeping it that way. I don't need crazy numbers, not at the moment anyways. I just want a good reliable compound setup and I don want to have to do internals yet. I just wanted some advice and ideas, I would like it to just be a bad street car that will have the power to throw you in the seat lol wishful thinking.

ZTruitt7

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
That's a hard choice haha probably fast and reliable why not spend the extra money now to prevent spending more on blowing stuff up

fouckhest

Veteran Member
TDI
.:GTD, .:R32, DangerRanger
That is the rule when starting a build...you can only have 2...

When I started my build I never set a budget for the build, only do it right, I chose fast/reliable

ZTruitt7

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I totally understand and feel the same way. I know you did a compound setup. If you don't mid me asking...how much did it cost for you to do your build?

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Why would you even think of a compound setup if you don't want to go 'crazy'..

Get a GTB1756vk or 2056vk like mentioned above and be done with it. Add some R783's to stock PD100 bodies, a new clutch and some other goodies and you'll be over 200whp.

ducesrwld

Veteran Member
TDI
none
you say this is going to be your DD, my gtb2056 is more of a play toy and good thing it is as I've had a hard time keeping the thing running and I built this thing to be my DD at the time. breaking things, several rounds of injector issues....car was down for months at a crack...2056 is as big as you want to go without digging into internals.

ZTruitt7

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I know I know I want to go crazy but it's my only car, it was also my first car. It has a stage 3 SB clutch pressure plate and flywheel now

fouckhest

Veteran Member
TDI
.:GTD, .:R32, DangerRanger
There is another saying in building cars...don't want to sound like a dick, but, "if you have to ask, you can't afford it..."

Either way, it is a lot, hence why I said when I set out on this build, I didn't set a budget, just to do it right

ZTruitt7

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I just wanted advice, I'm saving my money up for the build and planned on doing it little by little.

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
That is the rule when starting a build...you can only have 2...

When I started my build I never set a budget for the build, only do it right, I chose fast/reliable
The monster wagon has been together for almost 40k miles seeing 50psi daily and the only engine/driveline parts that haven't held up was the head gasket after 20K with the arp studs. New HG with my custom studs and haven't had a problem since.

Fast and reliable were chosen. Cheap wasn't part the equation.

ducesrwld

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I think with how nice the 2260 performs (would love to shove one on my car) and the power output unless you have deep pockets and want to get into the stupid power level where the ROI per hp just gets ridiculous there is no reason to go compounds on these cars. Having 3 vehicles now the tdi gets the least about of drive time every time I get in the car like this weekend I drove it couple hundred miles I enjoy it but am having a hard time justifying keeping it around. between my tdi and my dmax it is hard to think now how much I dumped into my car to get another 100 ponies out of it when this winter I'll be gaining about 200 hp in the dmax for far less out of my pocket. The tdi has its place and I plan on getting it out on the track next summer now that the bugs seem to be worked out but if you want a "fast" setup the tdi is hard to justify dumping the money into it to get it ripping down the track at a decent pace. just goes to show how much of a disease we have though with how much some of us dump into these cars.