TDI WVO Damage survey

T'sTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Mike if you could describe your setup on how you burn Veggie that would be some great information. What did you supplement greasecars kit with? How do you filter? How many miles to an oil change? Any additional information would be great. 175K is amazing. For those that don't believe in WVO theres your proof. Try and argue that one!

meetis

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW Jetta silver
I never thought i would work on my car nearly as much as i do now myself. After getting a Vag-com though troubleshooting has become so much easier even when the car does not have a CEL on its so usefull to have so much info right at your fingertips. i myself if anyone remembers this far back lol used to run on veg oil. I ran into some problems that i definantly introduced the biggest problem stemming from leadfooting the gas for too long and doing some pretty impressive amount of damadge to the engine. After replaceing the engine i simply did not put the kit back in to avoid voiding the warrenty on the new used engine. i dont mind spending the money on the car but i would be mighty upset to replace an engine void a warrenty and have to replace the engine out of pocket again even if the problem was not with the fuel. I still use the filtering setup at the house for used veg oil and used motor oil as a concoction that i mix into my home heating oil to burn its not much because i dont collect in volume like i used to but every gallon helps and the burner still does not soot up so its probably good i dont burn a high mix. Course thats going to change once i get my hands on b100 and especially after i am done with college again and start up brewing my own.

T'sTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Meetis, I hope you have done your homework on biodiesel. It can become a real pain in the rear. Hope you have a good oil source, if not you can kiss that dream away.

shanefoshia

TDI
2000 Jetta 1.9L
I Can say this I have Jetta 2000 TDI running WVO Filtered to 10 micron and I havent had a problem Yet. I did have to get a new injection pump on the car at 230000Km It was not due to running WVO This pump was just past it time I paid $2200 for a new one installed at VW dealer. I do Run B100 with no problems either. Just remember to filter the WVO thats the key and in the winter i just use regular ULSD im in michigan so it gets cold WVO will gel

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
shanefoshia said:
I Can say this I have Jetta 2000 TDI running WVO Filtered to 10 micron and I havent had a problem Yet. I did have to get a new injection pump on the car at 230000Km It was not due to running WVO This pump was just past it time I paid $2200 for a new one installed at VW dealer. I do Run B100 with no problems either. Just remember to filter the WVO thats the key and in the winter i just use regular ULSD im in michigan so it gets cold WVO will gel
Are you running single tank? A proper two tank system should not have a problem in the winter?

jpd

TDI
2002 GLS TDI
what I would like to better understand is plumbing of purging systems... seems to me the best arrangement would to have the supply switching solenoid just ahead of the injector pump... that way diesel purges WVO completely through pump and injectors during each shut-down... thoughts??

I am considering going to WVO on my 2002 TDI, I have been running pump-grade B100 for about 6 months in warm climate, no issues, just the original equipment usual filter change (done 5 months ago, after a month of running B100), synthetic oil (Castrol) doing just fine, great mileage.

This thread has got me really concerned, and I am about to NOT do conversion, but it seems like most of the issues here are due to improper purging during shut down??

cheers all

jpd

TDI
2002 GLS TDI
Sorry, I am actually using B99, from soybeans, I buy it from pump at petroleum distributor, they get it on railcar from Iowa out here in desert.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
jpd said:
what I would like to better understand is plumbing of purging systems... seems to me the best arrangement would to have the supply switching solenoid just ahead of the injector pump... that way diesel purges WVO completely through pump and injectors during each shut-down... thoughts??
Here is how the Greasecar system works. Solenoid A controls switching between diesel and WVO. Solenoid B controls the diesel return. When running in diesel mode, you are pulling from the diesel line and returning the excess back down the diesel return. When you switch to WVO, solenoid A switches to the WVO line and solenoid B turns off the diesel return. This creates a fuel loop in that WVO goes to the IP, towards the injectors and what is not used is sent back towards the IP again, with any extra WVO needed being supplied from the WVO line. When you purge, solenoid A switches back to diesel and solenoid B remains closed to the diesel return line. This pushes diesel through to the IP, then to the injectors and any extra fuel is then pushed back down the WVO line towards the WVO tank, the only place for it to go. This flushes the WVO out of "fuel loop" and puts diesel back in the IP, injectors, lines, etc. Properly doing this means you will stop and start on only diesel and will not send any WVO back down the diesel return. For a Greasecar kit on a TDI, the average time is 30 seconds. I tried to shrink my purge to around 15 seconds one time in the summer and upon restarting my car later that day I immediately felt a difference in how it started and have always kept it to 30 seconds since.

Last edited:

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
That's a very clear and eloquent description of Greasecar plumbing and purging.

The only thing I would add is that I have found it worthwhile to do this purging a mile or two before shutting the engine off. I can only guess that bits of residual WVO linger in corners of the fuel lines. I have found that, in the cold winter, the car starts better if you do this.

jpd

TDI
2002 GLS TDI
Hi VWCAMPIN and philngrace, thanks for quick reply! I'm learning.... but love to tinker with cars so everything you explain makes sense.

To clarify: The WVO return is actually plumbed right back to the WVO supply line.. this makes sense and I have seen this on a Mercedes install. Only on purge, when fresh diesel from solenoid A is coming in through pump, does residual WVO get sent "backward" up the supply line towards WVO tank. And a little fresh diesel gets sent that way too, which can't hurt and can only be good in terms of the next startup....

To me, this means that solenoid B must then have some type of delay built in, such that eventually (30 seconds) it cuts the return line back to the diesel tank (stock setup?). Is this automatic or use a second manual switch under user control?

cheers!

jpd

TDI
2002 GLS TDI
PS: I am not intimate with Greasecar setup, but have a general idea from their website, would love to see photos or schematic of install. My plan is to build my own, I have a friend who is into it with his Mercedes, the rest is getting quality oil and good filtering it seems.

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
Most Greasecar kits have two switches, or a three way switch and you manually purge for as long as you like. They now sell an automatic controller which I believe will do this for you.

If you are planning to convert to WVO, think long and hard about making your own kit. If you are really capable, and have access to the fabrication tools and equipment, and will enjoy the proccess, and have done all the research, go right ahead. But it will take a long time, may cost more money, and you may wind up with an inferior kit. This could even damage your engine. Plus you will be buying diesel until you finish, when you might have been running on WVO.

Not to discourage you or say it can't be done. Many have homebuilt really good kits. But many others have decided they would have been much better off (faster, easier, better and cheaper) had they bought a kit in the beginnning.

jpd

TDI
2002 GLS TDI
PSS: Specifically I would like to know if folks have their WVO heated filter just ahead of solenoid A and under the hood (where it is already hot), that seems to make the most sense to me. Other folks have the heated filter in the trunk next to WVO tank... I am not sure I understand this logic very well, since it seems to me you want that WVO hot (190 degrees) to keep it viscous and atomizing well in stock injectors...?

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
Philngrayce is correct. Older Greasecar setups have two separate switches and the newer ones have a 3 way switch. With the 3 way switch, in the middle is diesel (both solenoids off, defaulting to diesel incoming and diesel return both operating) Switch one way for WVO (solenoid A on, switching to WVO fuel line, and solenoid B on switching from diesel return line to a fuel loop) Switch the other way for purge (Solenoid A off, defaulting back to diesel, and solenoid B still on, meaning diesel return is still off, so extra fuel is going back down the WVO line towards the WVO tank) Or of course use the automated controller and it does all of this for you.

As to converting yourself, that is really up to you. Doing something like this yourself can be fun and rewarding, but more time consuming. A lot more trips for the little part you forgot, didn't know you needed, etc. I chose to order a kit, because I had a new baby in the house and had very little extra time, so it helped me to get everything I needed and do it all at once.

The standard Greasecar set up and Frybrid setups have the WVO filter in the engine compartment. The Plantdrive kit usually has the filter in the trunk unless you relocate the battery.

The theory is you want the WVO gaining heat all the way from the tank to the IP, reaching it hottest just before the IP. My opinion is something like a Flat Plate Heat Exchanger as your final heating right before the IP is your best route to go.

Here is picture I just googled that shows you a standard greasecar set up in a TDI. Solenoid valves on the radiator support and WVO filter mounted next to the battery.

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
I much prefer the filter in the engine compartment. You hate to lose any more trunk space, and you hate to have spills in the trunk.

biopete

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 Jetta 1998, A4 Jetta 2001
I love those grease car DPDT (Three way) Switches with LEDs built in. I use those. So do you all purge 30 seconds only a mile or two before shutdown? I have been purging 30 seconds 4 or 5 miles before shutdown then going the rest on diesel.

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
I purge 15 seconds, 10 in the summer, then drive a mile or so. It works fine for me, but every car is different. 30 seconds and 4 miles seems more than adequate, but if it is working I would stick with it.

MiksTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GLS Galactic Blue
With my setup I didn't stray much from the Greasecar kit. I did the research to find out how to use my stock in dash gauge to see the veggi oil level when switched to veggi. I added a temp probe to see tank temp
and outside air temp.

Problems or tips:
1) a plastic zip tie wore a hole in the copper tubing wrap on the veggi fuel filter. Pissed antireeze enough to set off the low coolant light. Just found an Auto store for some tools to cut and flare the tubing and had antifreeze in the trunk to add to it.
2) I replace the filter when I notice power loss while accelerating.
3) I switch over to veggi when I notice a 2 degree increase in the tank and the dash reads 190degrees.
4) Once I over purged. I had a full tank of veggi and diesel. I forgot about installing the lift pump and forgot about purging period. Got home and saw the line of fuel leading to the driveway and dripping ou tof the trunk. The veggi tank was so sealed and welded so perfect it expanded like a balloon and leaked out the fill cap seal.

That is about it.

Bosserdet

TDI
Passat, TDI, 2014
Grease Car Log
Friday, April 04, 2008 (12:34:37) I just started getting in all the equipment to setup my VW & Chevy to run on WVO. This is not something I just woke up this morning and decided to do; I have been researching this for the past year. I was really scared of do any kind of damage to my vehicles. Now with all the research under my belt I think I am ready to take the leap. By no means do I think I am an expert, I know enough now to be dangerous.

I purchased a complete filtering system. So they tell me. I got this system at: http://fryertofuel.hypermart.net/ These people made the purchase easy, just pick the system you need. Pay for it, and in 5 days it shows up at your house. So far so good, it’s nice. I will not be able to really know if works until I collect enough WVO to get it half full. If you don’t want to mess around with building your own this is the way to go. Just have your $900.00 bill ready.

I have started collecting the WVO from a small restaurant in town, they are very nice and on my way home. I get about 4 to 4 ½ gallons a week. This is just enough for me to start with, you don’t want to be getting so much you can’t store it all. You want to make sure that you are picking up the WVO in a timely manner. It is important to have a good relationship the restaurant(s) you are picking up from.

Now as for the Fuel System, I really thought that I would just build my own. There are a lot of people out there doing just that, and they are successful. After doing the research I made the decisions I did not want to start another hobby. I want this to just work. So I started looking for people that are selling the complete system. I found maybe 5 that looked good, but only 2 that really gave the information I needed to make a decision. The first one I found was www.greasecar.com they have a good system in my opinion, but the second is the one I choose www.frybrid.com. They have a higher quality system and their delivery time is only 4 weeks. That is mostly what I have read on their web page. At any rate I have order one for the VW. Now the one for the Chevy has been a real pain in the a**. After talking to Chris at Frybrid on the phone I found without a doubt that they do not make a under the bed fuel tank for my truck, I am going to have to get under it and figure it out from myself. Then with the drawings I give them they will custom make it. I am thinking NICE. After two of measuring, get the exhaust moved out of the way, measuring some more, and making a cardboard box model. I said forget it! After all that the tank I could fit under there would only hold about 15 gallons. For a truck that might get 13 MPG 15 gallons is just enough to bread and milk. So now I am putting two 17-gallon saddle tanks in the bed, I am trying to keep them out of the way center. They are just as wide as the finder wells in the bed. It will cost me more but, they will not eat up my bed and I can still get some decent range out of them.

So far the only issue I have had with frybrid is communication. They are hard to get a hold of, could be because they are very busy right now. If you want to call them, they only pick up the phone from 11 am to 2 pm Pacific Time. Something like that anyway.

Please, if you a question or input (good or bad). Ask me.

4/9/2009

Well today I had to cancelled my order to Frybrid for my VW kit. I hate it. Over all I think the kit is top of the line.

BUT, Customer Service is the worst! I have been trying to get a quote on my tanks for the K3500 and I have sent e-mail and left phone message for Chris to call me back. No joy! This has been going for about 3 weeks. If I had bought the system and had a problem. How long would it take to get my question answered. Maybe Never? Before I cancelled my order I sent an e-mail to Greasecar.com this morning. It's been 6 or 7 hours and I got a reply saying, "If you order that kit today, it will be in the mail in 4 or 5 DAYS. Fryboy's web page says you will not see your kit for 4 WEEKS.

So I will be ordering my K3500 & VW Kits from Greasecar.com today.

5/6/2008

I got my Kit for the VW today. It really looks good, I am still looking over everything and reading the installation instructions which look very complete.

I just finished watching the "Installation DVD" that comes with the kit. The video is great!
This make is very easy to understand what you need and how to install it. It really put my mind at ease.

5/9/2008

Last night I was filling my Fryer-to-fuel filtering system with oil. The 55 gal drum has a very nice 200 micron screen that snaps on the top of the barrel, you pour the oil thru it. I really like this system. So I start working on other things in the garage when I notice my Jack Russell licking the concrete under the valves on the drum. I know right then, I have a leak. Thinking its a fitting I start looking with a flashlight in one hand holding the dog by the tail with other, finely I realize that its not fittings its coming out of the top of a weld.
Just my luck! Does these happen to other people or is it just me? So I take a little video showing the leak. Knowing this is going to be huge problem getting it fixed. I mean this was the main reason I bought this one. I did not want to have to do any work and for sure no welding. My welds look like little macaroon's.

Well today at about 7:30 AM I send my video in an e-mail to Fryer-to-fuel telling about my problem. Not thinking to much about it, right at 11:20 a women (Sorry don't remember her name, I am not good with names) calls. She says, "We are sorry about your leak, this has never happened before. We are going to send you a new one free of charge and you can keep the one you have." You have no idea how happy that made me. So I should be making fuel next weekend.

Once again, customer service rules! I am telling you good customer will always make the difference in my book. I understand that things happen, but how you handle it will make all the difference.

5/20/2008 - 236,705 miles is the starting mileage for WVO.

Well, I drove to work 82 miles on WVO.
Everything worked like it was suppose to. I am very happy with my GreaseCar Kit, everything and more was in the kit to complete my installation. The Co-Pilot is an add on from GreaseCar, I like it. If you are thinking about getting one, I would suggest it. It's very handy if you like to know what is going on under the hood. Its nice to be able to have some control as well, by this I mean you can change some of the operation functions.

5/29/2008

So now I have been driving for a week on WVO. The change over from Diesel to WVO is seem less. I could not even tell that it had changed over and was running on WVO. I called GreaseCar to make sure I understood when the Co-Pilot was changing it over. The Co-Pilot makes it very simple, you just set the temp you want the system to change over to WVO and as soon as you reach that temperature it does it. The only thing you have to do is press a button and it start the purge and shows you a count down until its done purging. Then the screen says, "Diesel Safe". Then next time you start it up, you don't have to do anything. The process starts all over. It does have manual override functions too.

If you have not starting looking for WVO and you are sure that you are going to do this, you better start looking now. Most of the bigger restaurant have a service and will not be interested is helping you for free. The thing that has be working for me is finding people in the restaurant that are interested in what you are doing with your car. They can help you get in the door. Paying them what ever the service is paying them can go along way with the owner, and its still cheaper for you. I am not saying that you can't get it for free. I have one place that gives there WVO and I am grateful, but don't believe everything these people tell on the Internet on how easy it is to get FREE FUEL.

6/5/2008

I put about 800 miles on the car using WVO. Only had one problem that was my fault. I let the WVO get to low in the tank and sucked up some air in the line. Well the car did not like that at all, I thought I had a clogged filter but no. I put in a new filter and while I was looking that the oil that was in the old one I realized what had happened. The oil in the old one was very clean so I could not have been a clog. If this happens to you, it feels like you are tapping on the accelerator and makes the car jerky. Then the "Engine Light" will come on. Just switch over using the Purge Button and when you get home put more WVO in the tank and prime the filter. The Engine Light should go out about the 5th time you start the car.

6/25/2008 - 240,888 miles

All is well. I made an improvement in the temperature of my WVO by adding foam covers to the fuel lines in the engine compartment. Looks like I got about a 13 degree improvement. Not a big deal in the summer time but come this winter I am sure I will need it. Still working on getting my WVO filtering process down. Been through two filters in the car already. I would like to get at least 5,000 miles out of them. Speaking about filters I was able to cross reference that FF5166 Fleetguard with some others at AutoZone. Just ask them they will help you out.

When I get my filtration system worked out I will post what I found.

6/10/09 - 299,999 miles

Working great! Best filter I have found is the WIX. You can get them from Carquest for around $14. Its a CFI86472 for the VW and the Chevy is CFI86123. Been getting around 3,000 miles a filter in the VW.
2/5/10 - 315,543 miles
I have found a filter that last even longer then the WIX. You can get them from Advance Auto. Its a Purolator F50086, they cost about $9.50. I have been getting well over 5,000 miles per filter. Car has been running fine, cold weather has been cost a little more in Diesel. Takes longer for the car to warm up. This is normal.
3/31/2010 - 323,876 miles
Had to replace the Front Wheel Bearings. This is not hard, it just takes a lot of time. Got the bearings and rented the tools from http://www.germanautoparts.com Very nice guys. You will have to call them to get on the list for the tool rental. Going to replace my MAF Sensor too, its going bad. Found one on eBay for $40.00 and I have been waiting for over a week for it to come in. This is NOT an OEM replacement so I will let you know how it works.
8/17/2010 - 335,000 miles
I have no problems to report with my GreaseCar.

Last edited:

ronbros

TDI
1982 Isuzu coupe 1.8 Diesel
it is odd how some people react to a situation, and how incredibly knowledgable they THINK they are!

I operated a diesel only, engine repair business in FL. for 27yrs(retiered now),

and we overhauled at least 500 diesel engines, only saw 2 that used WVO.

so what im askin is how come all the diesel fuel ONLY, needed overhauling, major rebilding, and big money spent on them??

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice writeup Bosserdet and welcome aboard. But if you thought you would get a Frybrid kit in four weeks, and that everyone is saying oil is free and easy to get, you were NOT doing your research.

Did the company replace the barrel with the bad weld like they said they would?

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
it is odd how some people react to a situation, and how incredibly knowledgable they THINK they are!

I operated a diesel only, engine repair business in FL. for 27yrs(retiered now),

and we overhauled at least 500 diesel engines, only saw 2 that used WVO.

so what im askin is how come all the diesel fuel ONLY, needed overhauling, major rebilding, and big money spent on them??

Because they are 99% of the market vs. WVO. EASY.

And you probably did IDI boat motors. Big difference.

Bosserdet

TDI
Passat, TDI, 2014
Nice writeup Bosserdet and welcome aboard. But if you thought you would get a Frybrid kit in four weeks, and that everyone is saying oil is free and easy to get, you were NOT doing your research.

Did the company replace the barrel with the bad weld like they said they would?

Yes, fryer to fuel sent me a new one for free. Its all still running and working great. My 1999 Chevy is still here at the house but I have added a 2006 Dodge to the WVO line up. Its so nice not having to pay the big buckets at the pump.

Last edited:

Bosserdet

TDI
Passat, TDI, 2014
WVO Update

Hey guys. Just a little note to let everyone know that I no longer have 2001 Golf ALH and I have moved into a 2006 Passat Wagon BHW. Can't say that is was the best decision I have ever made, but reading the future has never been one of my greatest strengths. I do miss the Golf. I have installed a GreaseCar Kit on the Passat. No problems to report as of this date. I have put around 180,000 on the Passat.
The Golf had about 365,000 miles on it and when I sold it and I never had any problems caused by WVO. I figure I ran the Golf on WVO for about 285,000 miles.
The K3500 1999 Chevy Truck has also been sold and replaced with a 2006 Dodge Mega Cab and I have installed a GreaseCar Kit on the Dodge as well. I am not sure how many miles I put on the Chevy running WVO but it was more than 150,000 for sure. The Chevy was the worst running truck I think I have ever had. The fact that it was pig and the WVO fuel line was to small didn't help. GreaseCar did fix the fuel line size problem in the next upgrade for the Dodge. The Dodge likes the WVO almost as well as the Golf did. I have not had any problems running WVO on the Dodge. I have put around 110,000 on the Dodge.
Grease Car Log
Friday, April 04, 2008 (12:34:37) I just started getting in all the equipment to setup my VW & Chevy to run on WVO. This is not something I just woke up this morning and decided to do; I have been researching this for the past year. I was really scared of do any kind of damage to my vehicles. Now with all the research under my belt I think I am ready to take the leap. By no means do I think I am an expert, I know enough now to be dangerous.
I purchased a complete filtering system. So they tell me. I got this system at: http://fryertofuel.hypermart.net/ These people made the purchase easy, just pick the system you need. Pay for it, and in 5 days it shows up at your house. So far so good, it’s nice. I will not be able to really know if works until I collect enough WVO to get it half full. If you don’t want to mess around with building your own this is the way to go. Just have your $900.00 bill ready.
I have started collecting the WVO from a small restaurant in town, they are very nice and on my way home. I get about 4 to 4 ½ gallons a week. This is just enough for me to start with, you don’t want to be getting so much you can’t store it all. You want to make sure that you are picking up the WVO in a timely manner. It is important to have a good relationship the restaurant(s) you are picking up from.
Now as for the Fuel System, I really thought that I would just build my own. There are a lot of people out there doing just that, and they are successful. After doing the research I made the decisions I did not want to start another hobby. I want this to just work. So I started looking for people that are selling the complete system. I found maybe 5 that looked good, but only 2 that really gave the information I needed to make a decision. The first one I found was www.greasecar.com they have a good system in my opinion, but the second is the one I choose www.frybrid.com. They have a higher quality system and their delivery time is only 4 weeks. That is mostly what I have read on their web page. At any rate I have order one for the VW. Now the one for the Chevy has been a real pain in the a**. After talking to Chris at Frybrid on the phone I found without a doubt that they do not make a under the bed fuel tank for my truck, I am going to have to get under it and figure it out from myself. Then with the drawings I give them they will custom make it. I am thinking NICE. After two of measuring, get the exhaust moved out of the way, measuring some more, and making a cardboard box model. I said forget it! After all that the tank I could fit under there would only hold about 15 gallons. For a truck that might get 13 MPG 15 gallons is just enough to bread and milk. So now I am putting two 17-gallon saddle tanks in the bed, I am trying to keep them out of the way center. They are just as wide as the finder wells in the bed. It will cost me more but, they will not eat up my bed and I can still get some decent range out of them.
So far the only issue I have had with frybrid is communication. They are hard to get a hold of, could be because they are very busy right now. If you want to call them, they only pick up the phone from 11 am to 2 pm Pacific Time. Something like that anyway.
Please, if you a question or input (good or bad). Ask me.
4/9/2009
Well today I had to cancelled my order to Frybrid for my VW kit. I hate it. Over all I think the kit is top of the line.
BUT, Customer Service is the worst! I have been trying to get a quote on my tanks for the K3500 and I have sent e-mail and left phone message for Chris to call me back. No joy! This has been going for about 3 weeks. If I had bought the system and had a problem. How long would it take to get my question answered. Maybe Never? Before I cancelled my order I sent an e-mail to Greasecar.com this morning. It's been 6 or 7 hours and I got a reply saying, "If you order that kit today, it will be in the mail in 4 or 5 DAYS. Fryboy's web page says you will not see your kit for 4 WEEKS.
So I will be ordering my K3500 & VW Kits from Greasecar.com today.
5/6/2008
I got my Kit for the VW today. It really looks good, I am still looking over everything and reading the installation instructions which look very complete.
I just finished watching the "Installation DVD" that comes with the kit. The video is great!
This make is very easy to understand what you need and how to install it. It really put my mind at ease.
5/9/2008
Last night I was filling my Fryer-to-fuel filtering system with oil. The 55 gal drum has a very nice 200 micron screen that snaps on the top of the barrel, you pour the oil thru it. I really like this system. So I start working on other things in the garage when I notice my Jack Russell licking the concrete under the valves on the drum. I know right then, I have a leak. Thinking its a fitting I start looking with a flashlight in one hand holding the dog by the tail with other, finely I realize that its not fittings its coming out of the top of a weld.
Just my luck! Does these happen to other people or is it just me? So I take a little video showing the leak. Knowing this is going to be huge problem getting it fixed. I mean this was the main reason I bought this one. I did not want to have to do any work and for sure no welding. My welds look like little macaroon's.
Well today at about 7:30 AM I send my video in an e-mail to Fryer-to-fuel telling about my problem. Not thinking to much about it, right at 11:20 a women (Sorry don't remember her name, I am not good with names) calls. She says, "We are sorry about your leak, this has never happened before. We are going to send you a new one free of charge and you can keep the one you have." You have no idea how happy that made me. So I should be making fuel next weekend.
Once again, customer service rules! I am telling you good customer will always make the difference in my book. I understand that things happen, but how you handle it will make all the difference.

5/20/2008 - 236,705 miles is the starting mileage for WVO.
Well, I drove to work 82 miles on WVO.
Everything worked like it was suppose to. I am very happy with my GreaseCar Kit, everything and more was in the kit to complete my installation. The Co-Pilot is an add on from GreaseCar, I like it. If you are thinking about getting one, I would suggest it. It's very handy if you like to know what is going on under the hood. Its nice to be able to have some control as well, by this I mean you can change some of the operation functions.

5/29/2008
So now I have been driving for a week on WVO. The change over from Diesel to WVO is seem less. I could not even tell that it had changed over and was running on WVO. I called GreaseCar to make sure I understood when the Co-Pilot was changing it over. The Co-Pilot makes it very simple, you just set the temp you want the system to change over to WVO and as soon as you reach that temperature it does it. The only thing you have to do is press a button and it start the purge and shows you a count down until its done purging. Then the screen says, "Diesel Safe". Then next time you start it up, you don't have to do anything. The process starts all over. It does have manual override functions too.
If you have not starting looking for WVO and you are sure that you are going to do this, you better start looking now. Most of the bigger restaurant have a service and will not be interested is helping you for free. The thing that has be working for me is finding people in the restaurant that are interested in what you are doing with your car. They can help you get in the door. Paying them what ever the service is paying them can go along way with the owner, and its still cheaper for you. I am not saying that you can't get it for free. I have one place that gives there WVO and I am grateful, but don't believe everything these people tell on the Internet on how easy it is to get FREE FUEL.
6/5/2008
I put about 800 miles on the car using WVO. Only had one problem that was my fault. I let the WVO get to low in the tank and sucked up some air in the line. Well the car did not like that at all, I thought I had a clogged filter but no. I put in a new filter and while I was looking that the oil that was in the old one I realized what had happened. The oil in the old one was very clean so I could not have been a clog. If this happens to you, it feels like you are tapping on the accelerator and makes the car jerky. Then the "Engine Light" will come on. Just switch over using the Purge Button and when you get home put more WVO in the tank and prime the filter. The Engine Light should go out about the 5th time you start the car.

6/25/2008 - 240,888 miles
All is well. I made an improvement in the temperature of my WVO by adding foam covers to the fuel lines in the engine compartment. Looks like I got about a 13 degree improvement. Not a big deal in the summer time but come this winter I am sure I will need it. Still working on getting my WVO filtering process down. Been through two filters in the car already. I would like to get at least 5,000 miles out of them. Speaking about filters I was able to cross reference that FF5166 Fleetguard with some others at AutoZone. Just ask them they will help you out.
When I get my filtration system worked out I will post what I found.
6/10/09 - 299,999 miles
Working great! Best filter I have found is the WIX. You can get them from Carquest for around $14. Its a CFI86472 for the VW and the Chevy is CFI86123. Been getting around 3,000 miles a filter in the VW.
2/5/10 - 315,543 miles
I have found a filter that last even longer then the WIX. You can get them from Advance Auto. Its a Purolator F50086, they cost about $9.50. I have been getting well over 5,000 miles per filter. Car has been running fine, cold weather has been cost a little more in Diesel. Takes longer for the car to warm up. This is normal.
3/31/2010 - 323,876 miles
Had to replace the Front Wheel Bearings. This is not hard, it just takes a lot of time. Got the bearings and rented the tools from http://www.germanautoparts.com Very nice guys. You will have to call them to get on the list for the tool rental. Going to replace my MAF Sensor too, its going bad. Found one on eBay for $40.00 and I have been waiting for over a week for it to come in. This is NOT an OEM replacement so I will let you know how it works.
8/17/2010 - 335,000 miles
I have no problems to report with my GreaseCar.

Bosserdet

TDI
Passat, TDI, 2014
Just to check in on this thread. My 2006 PD is still running on WVO with no problems. I did replace the turbo at 350K but the WVO system was not cause for that. I guess I have completed my research and see the WVO is practical if you are willing to do work to collect and clean it. I do have a WVO filtration/de-watering system for sale if any one interested.

I am not using WVO in my 2006 Ram anymore. Now I only work 15 mins from home and have to much WVO on hand because the Dodge does not get hot soon enough for the WVO system to turn on. Kind of a bummer.

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
Good job, and thanks for the update. 350K is great.