www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old June 29th, 2006, 09:39   #31
rdkern
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A4 = wife drives it, don't know

Throwing parts or not is rather unimportant at this point. Let em replace it - I hope it is the problem so you can be driving a good car again. Let's return to the other potentials if this isn't it.

How different is the current ecu from the prior ones? This does make sense - I used to have a computer (in the dinosaur days) that didn't have an internal fan, and would go wonky after being used for 2 hours or so. Perhaps the chips in these cars are starting to get too big to rely on ambient cooling? At least in the summer.
Old June 29th, 2006, 18:53   #32
whitedog
Veteran Member

Quote:
So, would a hot engine correlate/cause the in-tank fuel pump to intermitently fail?
This is just a wild guess, so get out the saline IV for this.

Hot engine would mean that the fuel is hot. Hot fuel causes a contact to break in the fuel pump, causing no pumpy.

So, why wouldn't the fuel cooler keep the fuel cool enough? Is there a problem with that, causing excessivly hot fuel to return to tank? If the fuel cooler is plugged with mud, it wouldn't cool very well.

Now that's all blue-sky, rambling and I don't know how close I could be, but it's something to think about.

Sadly, it does not address the GP light issue.
Old June 29th, 2006, 20:10   #33
rdkern
Veteran Member

So - get this to the dealer, and let's find out if changing the ecu fixes it. If not, we have IV- (generally filled with beer/wine) fueled members to guess the next problem.
Old July 8th, 2006, 06:20   #34
Ry-dog

Got the car back from the dealership. They replaced the ECU and re-programmed my keys all covered under warranty.

Looks like this fixed the problem. I have certainly replicated the conditions that would cause my car to stall out and not start prior to the ECU replacement many times and it runs great.

I guess more time will tell for sure, but I don't think its the in-tank fuel pump since it is running great now with the new ECU. The service manager indicated that VW tech headquarters said they have seen this overheating ECU on a number of the PDs, thus that is why they did my replacement.

I'll post back if the problem comes back - if not, problem was fixed with new ECU.
Ry-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 10:32   #35
rdkern
Veteran Member

That is good news. Keep us informed of any changes.