Oil additive for late mk4 engine?

joecitizennn

TDI
jetta
Just picked up an early 05. I have been using 2 cycle oil as an additive for my 2000 tdi for years to protect the pump. Is a lubrication additive necessary for the newer engines that run the injection off the cam?:confused:

joecitizennn

TDI
jetta
im sorry, I meant fuel additive. I only run rotella t6 in the crankcase. I tried to change the title to read "fuel additive" but this forum wont let me edit my title... either that or I cant figure it out. I run one oz 2 stroke per gallon of diesel in my old alh engine , have done this for years. Just wondering if the BEW needs the same.... considering it does not have a rotary pump.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You didn't "need" it for your old engine and you don't "need" it for your new engine. Most fuel is already additized or has some bio component in it already. Adding stuff on your own may or may not be beneficial. There are those who have gone hundreds of thousands of miles with no additives and those who use them who have done the same. Probably more important to not buy substandard fuel.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
im sorry, I meant fuel additive. I only run rotella t6 in the crankcase. I tried to change the title to read "fuel additive" but this forum wont let me edit my title... either that or I cant figure it out. I run one oz 2 stroke per gallon of diesel in my old alh engine , have done this for years. Just wondering if the BEW needs the same.... considering it does not have a rotary pump.
get the LM2002 its a good additive

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
It blows me away how many people swear by 2 smoke oil in their diesel. If it makes you sleep better at night, by all means.

FWIW - my 02 has about 368k on the original IP and the only time it sees any additive is when its going to be below -10F for a few days, then I'll dump some PS White in it.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Well I think adding it to the fuel saved my engine. In my 2002 Jetta I added 2 stroke oil in the mix as well as PS silver. A long time ago I fueled up where the attendant filled the tank with gas.
About 20 miles later the car sputtered and farted and then stopped dead.
The engine was still going strong when I changed to me current Passat.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Jetta Pilot: You've also probably purchased sub-standard fuel during your time in Mexico, so I don't think the comparison is valid.
I'm with the "you don't need it" crowd.

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
I got caught up with oil and fuel additive$ craze early on, but after a few years realized it was money down the drain, so I quit the habit. Buy quality fuel, and oil, along with proper maintenance and drive on. I did and now have over 470k on my 04.

joecitizennn

TDI
jetta
Well since the EPA decided Sulfur was evil, fuel companies now have to put in their own lubricity additives to meet lubricity requirements. Should I trust that they always get it right? I always get my fuel from high volume, big name sellers but had to replace both the pump in my cummins and then the pump in my Jetta a year later. I started using fuel additive and have had zero pump problems and zero ash deposit problems. Trust the fuel companies and the EPA if you want, but personally i find pump replacement to be an expensive pain in the ass.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Then feel free to dump whatever you want in there. Can you specifically determine that fuel lubricity was the issue either or both times? Lab data not just I think so. There are many here who have driven many, many miles without the problems you speak of. If you choose a fuel that has at least 2% bio in it, lubricity should not ever be an issue, with good fuel. Small percent bio is widespread now days and is usually posted on the pump.

joecitizennn

TDI
jetta
I definitely cannot prove that the diesel was the cause of my pump failures. I am mechanically conscious, I try to keep my tanks full rather than low, change my filters regularly and I buy my fuel from reputable sellers. It has been puzzling and frustrating to have had pump failures in the past.
I do know however, that they screwed up the lubricity of diesel when they added the sulfur removal process. Yes they bring it back to where it is supposed to be with the proper additives, but the sketchy part is that they do this at the distribution centers because the additives would contaminate pipelines. So you end up with varying lubricity from location to location. I'm sure diesel is probably fine most places, most of the time but I don't trust it completely.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Jetta Pilot: You've also probably purchased sub-standard fuel during your time in Mexico, so I don't think the comparison is valid.
I'm with the "you don't need it" crowd.

Sorry to burst your bubble.:eek:
This was on my way south in Arkansas if you need to know after driving in Canada and the USA for about six months and it did NOT happen in Mexico!!! In Mexico I always get out of the car even now. But several years ago Mexican gas station attendants always waved me on to a GASOLINE pump because they were not used to seeing Diesel cars !