Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

Audi5jim

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 2 door Golf TDI
D2 is currently $4.14 on the Atlantic City Expressway on my way to work this morning. I passed it at 803.3 miles on my current tank. I'll be stopping for fuel on the way home.

I also saw that LUK Oil on Rt 73 in Cherry Hill (Rt 73 & Fellowship Rd) now has Biodiesel for $4.35 per gal.

Citgo on Rt 38 Cherry Hill was $4.18 for D2 and right around the corner for ULSD it was $4.17...

spongebob

Veteran Member
TDI
Not anymore.
4.09 - 4.14 here in Mesa / Tempe / Gilbert area east of Phoenix. It jumped 10-15 cents in the last few days.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
$4.59 in Watkins Glen, NY--only station in town with Diesel. And I got B99 in RI for $3.79 last Thursday.

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
03, 00, 04 MK4 sedans.... 02 MK4 Wagon
Uh Huh. It's anywhere between $4.59 and $4.69 all over NY.

If I'm anywhere remotely close to NJ or PA, I go there.

Audi5jim

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 2 door Golf TDI
CITGO in Winslow Township (South Jersey) on Rt 73 going East, $4.12 for D2.

Also, that Biodiesel at that LUK Oil I mentioned above no longer has the sign up indicating that they have biodiesel anymore? A one day deal? Odd if you ask me.... now it just says diesel...

Vipervnm

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 1
$4.16 is the cheapest I've seen with $4.59 being the most expensive. I only pass two diesel stations on my 7 mile trip to work, so that's a good spread.
RUG is $3.36 and up.

JOEJO'S TDI

TDI
2005 JETTA
is it worth it???????????????????

Hey look diesel here in NY is going for 4.60 and above.
At 35-40mpg I am wondering if I should unload my 05' jetta for a high mileage gas. A diesel just doesn't seem worth it to me.

How do others feel? Is it worth keeping what now seems to be an expensive car to drive????? Is there some other view that I am not considering?

Please advise...

Da~da~da

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6
JOEJO'S TDI said:
At 35-40mpg I am wondering if I should unload my 05' jetta for a high mileage gas. A diesel just doesn't seem worth it to me.

How do others feel? Is it worth keeping what now seems to be an expensive car to drive????? Is there some other view that I am not considering?

Please advise...
Just remember that gas is going to keep climbing, and fast. It is already been said that gas will go above $4 as a national avg.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
JOEJO'S TDI said:

Please advise...
Your question has been asked and answered many times. Most of us think it would be foolish to trade cars every time that one fuel goes up in price faster than the other.

At $4.60/gallon and 40 mpg, you are paying about 11.5 cents/mile. If regular gas (RUG) is $3.60 and you could actually find a comfortable and fun car to drive that got 40 mpg, it would cost you 9.0 cents/mile... so $25 difference every 1000 miles.

But can you actually find any gas-engine car similar to your Jetta that gets 40 mpg? No... you would be very lucky to get 30 mpg, and that would raise the cost per mile to 12.0 cents/mile. So it would actually cost more to drive than the Jetta TDI you already own!

Also, as Da~da~da mentioned, gas prices are going up faster than diesel prices. AAA shows diesel up 20 cents in the last month (nationally), RUG up 30 cents.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
The stations I pass going to work and back range anywhere from $4.25 to $4.39 for D2. I filled up tonight at the place I usually go to for $4.15. RUG there was at $3.31.
The cool thing on the way home was seeing all the cars and trucks lined up for gas on the Garden State Parkway because the prices will be changing tomorrow.

swinginbeef

TDI
shopping for JettaTDI
Here in the Kansas City, Mo area, we've been sitting at $4.08 for ULSD for a couple weeks now. Regular unleaded is at $3.47 today up from the mid $3.20's a week or two ago.

fgn11

TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI, 5A, Blue
On 04/12/08 in Bensenville, Illinois I was still able to fuel up for $3.999@gal.
On 04/19/08 the same station had increased the price to $4.199@gal.
But there are other stations in the area charging between $4.29 and $4.63 a gal. This really isn't so bad when you see what the prices are in Germany.
Today I talked to my friend who drives a Lupo and lives near Frankfurt. He is paying Euro 1.28 a liter = US$7.57 a gal. :(

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
Not only does your friend in Germany get a car most of us would kill for, he gets health care in exchange for that extra price at the pump. If diesel goes up to $7 at the pump here, does this mean Blue Cross will quit making me pay for insurance?

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Thunderstruck said:
Not only does your friend in Germany get a car most of would kill for, he gets health care in exchange for that extra price at the pump. If diesel goes up to $7 at the pump here, does this mean Blue Cross will quit making me pay for insurance?
If diesel climbs to $7 here, it will be $10 in Germany.

Airplane MD

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta pkg 1
Don't forget, if you have access to Hess Diesel, they offer a 5% discount (10% for the first 90 days) on their credit card on all your fuel purchases. So that means the pump price here in PA is 4.389 is then really "ONLY" about 4.15. What a bargain.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Price spread's getting less around here. The Qwik Trip I usually fill at has RUG for $3.75 and D2 for $4.22. I hate the prices, but sure glad I don't have the Grand Marquis anymore.:D

esteeze

Veteran Member
TDI
06.5 Jetta TDI
$4.09 for D2 at my usual Texaco station along the work commute; has been that price for about a week now. Results in a cost of $0.124 / mile, given my usual commuting MPG.

RUG at the same station is $3.47

Last edited: