Repair or Not Repair Help

fitz0520

TDI
05 Jetta
Hi TDIers

I need your help! I have a 2005 vw Jetta tdi 1.9l bew that the engine conked out at 287k a few days ago.

I have done some work to make me like the car. Anyone knows how much an engine cost and the installation.

I'm in Suwanee Ga.

Thanks..

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
It really all depends on what conked out means? if something happened with timing belt/head/cam you can have the top end rebuild by a shop for probably 2k'ish(new heard, belt, cam etc). If the bottom end is done, best to find another engine and have it swapped in. Looking at car-part.com engines range from $500 - $2000, plus labor to swap it in.

Call local wrecking yards to see what they have/can get. The cost of a replacement engine can vary greatly and will help you decide if worth while.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Saw in another thread, this guy sells long blocks-BleachedBora

Don't know if he still does, but it's a starting point.
First do a thorough autopsy, yours may be repairable.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
It really all depends on what conked out means...
This ^^^

A head repair can be done by Franko6. A replacement engine can be had for reasonable cost from Frans.

Until some trouble shooting happens, and you know exactly what needs doing to get it driving again, it is very hard to know what your choices are going to be, and thus be able to make a choice.

Good luck,

PH

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, so you need a good assessment of the damage. Most of us are of the fix it school.

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
I’m in a similar boat with a 2001.
Is there a thread or a guide I can use for reference? I’m not sure where to start.
Frans?
Thanks!
Other more knowledgable people will probably chip in with lots of good info, which is the norm on this forum, but if you really don't have any idea where to start, a tried and true guru near you might be a good place to start:

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=130044

The generally acknowledged rule is that regular mechanics just don't know what is up with these cars. I met my car's orginal owner and he told me that his mechanic had advised selling at 140,000 miles as it wasn't worth it to repair. My car currently has 265,000 and going pretty strong.

Frans is a trusted vendor on this site and sells all sorts of TDI parts:

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=434593

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have a good, used, 185k mile BEW long block for sale. I know its history since the day it was unloaded from the transport, so I know it is in good order.