Oil Temps and Climbing Mountains

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Someone was asking for my oil temps on my climbs through the Eastern Sierra’s. Here are my numbers. Gonna say I pushed the car a bit to be honest, and was very very pleased. The fact alone that to hold 72 mph on any grade below 5k elevation on 6th gear is amazing. And the one grade my temp came up is a very serious grade. The big boy outside of Bishop, CA started I believe around 5k and ends around 7k and will test any cars cooling over an 8 mile climb. She held 72 just fine and only got a tad warm, when ambient was about 91 and did it all in high gear with the a/c on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Someone was asking for my oil temps on my climbs through the Eastern Sierra’s. Here are my numbers. Gonna say I pushed the car a bit to be honest, and was very very pleased. The fact alone that to hold 72 mph on any grade below 5k elevation on 6th gear is amazing. And the one grade my temp came up is a very serious grade. The big boy outside of Bishop, CA started I believe around 5k and ends around 7k and will test any cars cooling over an 8 mile climb. She held 72 just fine and only got a tad warm, when ambient was about 91 and did it all in high gear with the a/c on.

For Cajon Pass - Can you find somewhere online the evaluation gain over the distance? Since you're traveling that pass - I figured you could confirm the infomation. Here is a link to some info; not sure if its valid or not. http://www.crashforensics.com/cajonpass.cfm

I think were are seeing similar numbers, in terms of TDI temps. I'm assuming you didnt have any CACT temps or more defined numbers for coolant?

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Personally the Cajon Pass seems to me to gain more than listed, but that’s just me. No these are the only temps I have.