timing belt problem :(

sburanelli

TDI
98 jetta tdi
i followed the how to article on A3 timing belt change.
but now the motor turns over but does not start.
is there something i missed.
could it be inject. pump is gone.
any help would be great before i bring to the machanic.

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer
go through and re-check your alignnments.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Was it running before you replaced the belt? If so, then it's probably not the pump.

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
I see you're in SF? Bring it by the GTG in San Pablo! Lots of people there to help out.

Do the A3's have the same need for air purging after a TB change? e.g. cracking injectors, etc. I'm only familiar with the A4...

sburanelli

TDI
98 jetta tdi
its was running before the change.
i put it at TDC, pin was in the injec.pump pulley
put the feeler gauges (.o11) under the cam stopper.
everything seems to be aligned.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
It's probalby too retarded. Advance the pump as far as it will go. Rotate top of pump towards engine. Don't forget to loosen the pump mount screw beneath the fuel lines on the driver's side of the pump.

AHU's can be difficult to time properly. On mine I have to advance the sprocket on the pump one tooth from the correctly pinned position to be able to time it.

You did pull the pump pin before you tensioned the belt, right. This is the correct way to do it but the PDF on this site does not say to do it.

Another thing: If it was running and all you did was the belt please don't start changing filters or messing with other stuff. You'll just be adding variables you don't need.

Last edited:

BigAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 A3
Bring it by the GTG in San Pablo! Lots of people there to help out
Perhaps he could push it there?

Ok, so the A3 is different and more difficult to time. The problem is that it is very very hard to get the slack out from between the crank pulley and the injection pump pulley. This is why almost everyone who does this advances the injection pump pulley one tooth.

How I do it now is to push down HARD on the pin that goes in the pump pulley hole and pull HARD on the belt..

I also centre the pump in the bracket first.

Of course, you can cheat and take the short cut and put the belt on one tooth 'out' to start with. I like doing it my way better.