Most up-to-date list of VW compliant oils?

dgoldsmith

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta sedan, "stick," with in-dash 6-CD changer, Sat., & AUX jack in glovebox that I'm no longer trying to figure out how to use, thanks to slamhouse! :-)))

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Really, I don't think I'd worry about the 505.01 spec. so much. I've seen plenty of PDs wear cams out running exclusively on oils on that list.

And the 505.01 spec is more about reducing certain additives for emissions component protection than it is about maximizing protection for the camshaft and lifters, so in my view, the 505.01 spec isn't something that needs to be adhered to strictly, especially now that all those PDs are old enough to not have any warranty (not that VW would replace a cam under warranty on them anyway even when they were younger).

I recommend reading up on what oils better protect flat bucket lifters. Hint: oils with higher molybdenum and zinc (aka ZDDP) tend to protect better. Both of those are additives which were reduced in the 505.01 spec due to emissions reasons...

I'm not saying the oil spec is the problem, but there absolutely are better protecting non-505.01 oils out there that can at least extend the life of your valvetrain.

The real problem is an engineering flaw. Maybe it was part material hardness, but mostly from what I've been told by those who know these things better, it is down to the profile of the cam lobes. There are two aftermarket cams I know of with improved geometry that should prevent the wear from happening again, or at least greatly extend the life of the cam and lifters to be approximately equal with the older TDIs that also used flat bucket lifters.

Franko6 and Colt's camshafts.

I have a list from 2015 myself of oils, but I have my doubts there are very many new additions to the list since it's now an older specification. Those who wanted to target that spec already have and are focused on newer standards now. Research what provides better protection on your out of warranty car with its well documented flaw.

dgoldsmith

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta sedan, "stick," with in-dash 6-CD changer, Sat., & AUX jack in glovebox that I'm no longer trying to figure out how to use, thanks to slamhouse! :-)))
Thanks for bringing up emissions and the environment: that's more important to me than my own falling-apart car. If part of the reason for the 505.01 spec is environmental protection, I'll be sticking to it, thank you very much.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Renewable Lubricants alternative HDEO for your PD TDI

Thanks for bringing up emissions and the environment: that's more important to me than my own falling-apart car. If part of the reason for the 505.01 spec is environmental protection, I'll be sticking to it, thank you very much.
There are also certain oils that might be of interest to you in terms of minimizing the environmental impact and maximizing protection of your PD camshaft. Here is an example of a bio-based HDEO (CJ-4) lubricant that you might want to research further for your TDI with a PD engine (see references to it here in TDIClub and on bobistheoilguy.com among others):

http://renewablelube.com/files/8914/8977/5451/Bio-SynXtra_HD_Plus_SHP_SAE_5W40_Motor_Oil_LA.pdf

I know Castrol has a range of various a range of biodegradable oils but I do not think none of them are suitable for an automobile engine (link).

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
It's not to directly reduce emissions, it's to potentially reduce the likelihood that the catalytic converter won't clog up (of course they didn't clog up too frequently on older diesels using the 505.00 standard, sooo...).

Besides, if your camshaft does wear, it will pollute more anyway thanks to air not getting in and out of the engine as efficiently as it's supposed to, thus leading to higher particulate emissions (which is very visible when cams get really really worn).

What to do then?