Black smoke under first gear over fueling

jmchugh588

Veteran Member
TDI
golf alh, audi a4, vw transporter
Hi,
Having a problem when ONLY accelerating harsh in FIRST gear dosent seem to happen in any other gear.
From a stand still when taking off the car sometimes plumets out black smoke, it then idles/drives rough for a few seconds before smoothing out again.(propably has over fuelled for some reason). No limp mode and pulls great in any other gear, NO fault codes either.
-unlikely to be boost ive check. Not the turbo or the vnt its perfect.

Could it Possible be an leaking injector, maf or map sensor
Any suggesting's or any members came across a similar problem with there 1.9tdi alh.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Have you done any mods to your car? Nozzles? Turbos? Changed the IP to a bigger one? What's your current mileage?

If you were 100% stock, I'd start by running some diesel purge through your pump, could help out a bit. Past that it may be your injection quantity is too high.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
OP, do you have VCDS? The symptom you have could be two things: is your car tuned? You tag the throttle to spool the turbo so the big fuel is injected and then one thing generally happens... excessive boost cases the fuel to be cut off, but since it was less than 3 seconds limp mode or CEL is not triggered. The actuator arm on the turbo is likely too short. I went through this same problem a while back and lengthened the actuator arm to resolve the problem.

jmchugh588

Veteran Member
TDI
golf alh, audi a4, vw transporter
Thanks for the help.
Have vcds nothing is is showing any concern, Nevada what groups do you think I should pay attention to?

Some background history. Car was stock when brought 100kmiles had changed maf and coolant temp sensor. had a lot of problems with vnt always had to clean it every few months. even then i had the same problem always thought it was the vnt mechanism sticking. Had a mild tune and problem was still there made no difference no worse. Recently had new turbo changed thought it would fix the problems but its still there car has 180kmiles now. easily doing 1kmiles a week its just embarrassing when I fill the street with smoke :) .

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
First thing I'd check is monitor boost specified vs boost actual and do a 3rd gear pull. Have you tried running diesel purge through the pump at all?

Do you have stock injectors still? What is your IQ at?