Terrible noise only when clutch pedal is pressed to the floor

Tdidiesel02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI
Hey guys, I just recently replaced my dmf with a single flywheel kit and a Luke's clutch kit that came with a new throw out bearing. The install went pretty good, no issues at all. Drove the car for a thousand miles and all of a sudden I get this horrible noise. Only happens when I fully press the clutch pedal in, goes into gear with no issues at all, just a horrible grinding noise. Any clues guys?

https://youtu.be/lm-nN49qeWs

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Sounds like the throw out bearing, at any rate, you will know when you pull it apart

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Sometimes it happens.
I know that’s not what you want to hear, but it does.

Tdidiesel02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI
I did notice the clips that hold the bearing in were really weak and kind of crappy, im talking about the clips on the bearing itself that clip onto the clutch fork. could it have maybe came out of its spot and that's why its grinding?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Possible, but it’s all guess work Till you pull it apart.
I would replace the lever , pin , bearing and clip, just my.02

leafs

Veteran Member
TDI
alh
When I changed my clutch with the luk kit I actually broke one of those pos plastic clips. Got the seller to send me another one. Compared to the one I took out with metal clips the one I installed seemed real flimsy. People here told me the clips weren't that important but better safe than sorry.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Another point to consider, if that bearing isn’t spinning freely, it will start to eat the fingers of the pressure plate. I hope you can park it until you can pull it apart. That sucks for one small part. May want to find a different brand with the metal clips you noticed on the old part.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I had to pull mine back apart once for the pivot pin and wire clip, less the $20 between them. As Steve said new lever, new pivot pin and wire clip and probably a new throw out bearing.