Help a newb out with checking timing belt

cuban11182

Veteran Member
TDI
1984 CJ w/ ALH and 1994 XJ w/ PD150/ALH hybrid
So I've seen how to check fuel timing, and how to make sure your IQ is setup properly, but is there a way to check and see if your timing belt was installed improperly? Say for example someone missed a tooth or something, is there a way to see that without taking the entire thing apart like you're going to change out the belt and water pump?

cuban11182

Veteran Member
TDI
No. Hardest is the cam slot, behind the vacuum pump, other 2 are easy enough.
I've watched the videos where you take the vacuum pump off and put the lock in. I've also seen where you push the pin into the injection pump. What do you do with the crank sproket? I just watched a video that showed the serpentine belt having a slot in it.

Is it safe to assume that you lock the cam, put the pin in the injection pump and ensure the slot is facing up that the belt was installed properly?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
You set the crank to TDC looking through a hole in the top of the bell housing.
There's a rubber plug covering it.
There is a O on the flywheel & pointer there.
Search for timing belt procedure here, there are good pictures.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Wasn't meant to be either mean or sarcastic. This really is the easiest way to tell that the job was done incorrectly. I see them all the time. Even had an ATQ V6 Passat in here a couple weeks ago that was Mark & Prayed. :eek:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yea, well, either way we all really enjoy and benefit from any and all of your comments!

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta

cuban11182

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you everyone. I doubt it's off, but the mechanic in me is just wanting to make sure.

workinman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta 2001 Jetta 95 Dodge diesel 4x4
Wasn't meant to be either mean or sarcastic. This really is the easiest way to tell that the job was done incorrectly. I see them all the time. Even had an ATQ V6 Passat in here a couple weeks ago that was Mark & Prayed. :eek:
Mark and Pray lol yea I seen that before when I asked if the car had a new timing belt he was not joking but that was all he did and the paint marks was all over it , did not change any other parts typical builder . Walk up to a car and see the low miles on the odometer well that does not mean a damn thing as the engine might have 300k on it . There Is a group of those that do it in Dallas and in Huston for sure . I seen those first hand