some advice please on AHF rebuild

Deus Violentia

TDI
2.0TDI Polo 9N
Hi guys,

I´ve done a lot TDI rebuilds so far, but mainly with stock components.
My MK4 has 600k km on the clock and runs very well, but I am looking forward to rebuild an AHF with 200k km which I´ve recently got and put it in this car, because the chassis is still good to go and I´ve got some good brakes on it.

Now, I have a pair of new Mahle STD pistons on the shelf and a brand new cylinder head left over.

The question is: I like to install a 11mm OEM pump to this, new bearings and seals overall, deck the block. Exhaust is complete decat. As an intake I´ll use 150PD parts, turbocharger and nozzle tips not quite sure.

What would you recommend for nozzles and charger and how far may I go without using H-conrods?

THX!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
350 hp,
Many turbos to choose from
Like for instance
Cam, pd150 intake, tune,17/22 hybrid, pp764s, sbc stage 2. And so forth. There are tons of threads here on what turbo with what nozzles. Do some searching and talk with runners.

Deus Violentia

TDI
2.0TDI Polo 9N
You´re right, but straight research leads to a ton of answers which are producing more confusion than solutions you know...

Thats why I opened that thread, not because I am lazy but because I´ve already read so much and came to no clear point for my rebuild.

Thats why I am seeking some advice hosting this thread here.

Deus Violentia

TDI
2.0TDI Polo 9N
So, to be nmore precise, I know that our well known GT1749VB ends somewhere around 200PS, I want to go beyond that without having EGT problems because I am not getting enough air in the cylinder. Second, GTB2260VK is too laggy, I used that on my 2.0TDI BKD, which drives like a gasser until 1800rpm even with a very good setup. :cool:

The solution - in my eyes - would be somewhere between them.

Regarding the nozzles: I really dont know which size would be realiable for which power figures..... for me smoke is just uncombusted fuel which mainly ****s up my VNT vanes, so no need for that, not speaking about smoke under part load... maybe I am aiming to try an electric actuator at the charger itself and making it work with my EDC15 PWM which seems to be quite achievable reading some articles which cover this issue.

But anyways - any input is very welcome.

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
If you're talking about 350hp and boost below 1800rpm I think the only solution might a compound setup. I don't know of any vnt that would flow enough for 350 and spool that early. The 2260vk that you think is too laggy still isn't big enough for 350 so it would only get worse.

EDIT: Ok, never mind what I said. I have no clue why I thought you wanted 350hp?

Last edited:

Deus Violentia

TDI
2.0TDI Polo 9N
Exenos, thanks for posting... I was wondering too what I´ve wrote that brought you to that conclusion :D Around 200-250PS is far enough....
Or like somebody else stated you could think of a rocket ship if you have real 230PS :D

Nozzles is my greatest concern.... really not sure what to use here....

Last edited:

Deus Violentia

TDI
2.0TDI Polo 9N
What would you guys recommend regarding nozzles with a hole dia around 0.260? As far as I know there isn´t anything suitable coming from Bosch right?