Rear Brakes Freezing On?

dtreid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI 128k km
Is anyone else having a problem with the rear brakes freezing on when it's been parked outside in the cold?

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
Never had this problem (on any car), but I only have ever lived in the Northeast USA where it's probably not as cold as Alberta.

Interestingly, when I was a young pup learning to drive, my father taught me never to set the parking brake when it was cold outside because it might freeze...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Ours give a decent "pop" when surface rust from over night needs to be broken free, nothing that just rolling at idle brakes free and 20 feet of dragging the brakes down our hill doesn't clean up.

When I hear "frozen brakes" I think torch is needed to loosen everything and brake free, which has never happened.

mobrien23

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Rear brakes locking - emergency brake lines were rusted - water in the line caused the brakes to lock - replaced the emergency brake cables and problem solved

mobrien23

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
2013 Passat TDI - NMS - 275,620 miles - engine temp gauge moves past 190 but never goes up to 260 - dealer can't find any issues with cooling system - no codes for temp change -
Also - 2-3 hour drive - Red adblue light turns on saying no restart - kept driving - light goes out and code resets after 2 days - dealer has not ideas beside explore wire harnesses at $110/hour -search - not sure what to do - any ideas?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Is anyone else having a problem with the rear brakes freezing on when it's been parked outside in the cold?
My thought would be that the parking brakes are NOT used every time the car is parked. Only occasional use can cause problems!