Steering angle sensor

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat bhw tdi (presently), 2001 jetta alh tdi (previously), 1998 jetta ahu tdi (previously)
So, yesterday the abs(k47) and tcs/esp(k155) warning lamps lighter and I scanned with vcds and code 00778, steering angle sensor 37 faulty came up. I realize that the sensor needs to be replaced and care needs to be used so as not to deploy the airbag(static electricity). The reason for this post is just to ask if the pros have any thoughts to make the job easier and safer from their vast experience. Also, when one component of the esp system goes out does it shut the system down? Is continuing to drive the car a problem? There are no driveability problems present. Thanks for input and advice.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
I believe all you need to do is set the steering angle to zero, did you replace the airbag? Look around this forum you should be able to find a post on the steering angle

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat bhw tdi (presently), 2001 jetta alh tdi (previously), 1998 jetta ahu tdi (previously)
On scanning with vcds the sensor angle read 0.0. Right now I don't know if that reading is a default because of the faulty steering sensor as per vcds or if the actual reading is/was 0.0. I did read where many times recalibration/resetting is necessary. I understand that some systems can be reset by turning steering wheel lock to lock, right and left. Tried that a couple of times with no change. I think there is recalibration available with vcds. I'm thinking part replacement will be necessary. In the meantime I'll see what else I can do. Thank you for your response.

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
Airbag was not changed. Started car yesterday and as I pulled out of parking space warning light just lighted seemingly out of nowhere.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Except they do not call it that on cars with ESP. If you ask for a clockspring for a B5, you'll get one for cars without ESP.

They call it a "cancelling ring with slip ring and steering sensor", part number 1J0-959-654-BK.

For non-ESP cars, it is called "clockspring with cancel ring", part number 1J0-959-653-C.

Thus the confusion, if a dealer parts goon who doesn't know any better just searches ETKA for clockspring, you will not get the correct part.

You can probably find the part you need in the aftermarket anyway. They are made by Valeo.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
if I was changing my clockspring I would not feel comfortable until I had the old one in my hand and I was looking at the part number

oilhammer

TDI
The one in the car likely has the old AG suffix on it. They update parts all the time. But yes, that is always a good starting point.

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you for your input gentlemen. Part # is 1J0959654. New suffix is BK. Original is AG. I also see AS and AP. As long as numbers are the same would all different suffix parts work or do I need to have AG or BK? Also if anyone is parting out a bhw or has one on shelf that they want to sell please make offer. You can pm me or use thread for contact info as I don't think email connected with forum works anymore. Thanks in advance.

oilhammer

TDI
I *may* have one actually, but I will not be able to check until this weekend.

Only problem is, the car was crashed (with airbag deployment) and so I am not sure it best to use.

They are not that expensive to buy new.

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you oilhammer. Take your time to look and evaluate part. I can wait as I have another car at my disposal. Thanks.

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi oilhammer. Thought I would search a bit on the sensibility of reusing the clockspring/sensor over again. Read a few articles and read forum posts (outside of this site). The great majority (all but one) said the clockspring could be reused with some precautions. These were sensible. One was that there was no physical damage to the plastic casing and the other was that there was no damage or melting to the electrical connection. The reason was not from the electric current, but from the chemical reaction of the airbag deployment and the heat it produced. So as long as the unit was not damaged, it can be reused. As a side note they said not so with the seatbelts. They should be replaced as the webbing stretches to provide some give and protection to the occupant and also to trigger the airbag. Once the belt stretches to max it loses that functionality. Thanks.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi oilhammer. Thought I would search a bit on the sensibility of reusing the clockspring/sensor over again. Read a few articles and read forum posts (outside of this site). The great majority (all but one) said the clockspring could be reused with some precautions. These were sensible. One was that there was no physical damage to the plastic casing and the other was that there was no damage or melting to the electrical connection. The reason was not from the electric current, but from the chemical reaction of the airbag deployment and the heat it produced. So as long as the unit was not damaged, it can be reused. As a side note they said not so with the seatbelts. They should be replaced as the webbing stretches to provide some give and protection to the occupant and also to trigger the airbag. Once the belt stretches to max it loses that functionality. Thanks.

the seat belt has a built in stick of dynamite that explodes and locks the seat belt, tight, in a crash, they never retract once the explosion occurs. One time use.

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok. On to plan B. Thank you both for you effort and information.

wtribeflyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI sedan
the seat belt has a built in stick of dynamite that explodes and locks the seat belt, tight, in a crash, they never retract once the explosion occurs. One time use.
My seat belt retractror exploded in a frontal crash before I bought my b5.5 but the seat belt still retracted fine it just sets an airbag code.. IIRC.

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
Just to follow up and state what I did. May be helpful to somebody. I bought a used clockspring on E-bay. Installed replacement part. DTC's changed. ABS module now needed to be recoded and steering recalibrated. This was done with VCDS. All good.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
Just to follow up and state what I did. May be helpful to somebody. I bought a used clockspring on E-bay. Installed replacement part. DTC's changed. ABS module now needed to be recoded and steering recalibrated. This was done with VCDS. All good.

I am at this point also. How did you recode and re-calibrate this?

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
coding

It is a relatively simple process using Ross-Tech VCDS. There is a video on youtube demonstrating the process. Search youtube for "coding the Bosch 5.3 and 5.7 ABS modules." The video I used was 10 minutes and 17 seconds long to help identify it. It is helpful. You need the brake production code and some other basic information to figure out your login code and recoding code. There are some others, such as calibration 40168, others given in the video. Procedure is to get abs module number, figure out the login number. My car was 09557 for the login number. BHW cars are likely similar with the exception of the third digit which could vary depending on brake production code. Video of A4 was 1LE, as was mine. You then get the soft coding number similar process to login. Mine was 04257. Brake pr code variable also. There are possible workshop and importer codes on the soft coding page, Then you recalibrate.(40168) The dtc's I had were 00778-steering angle sensor-not matched-intermittant and 01044-module incorrectly coded. Erased by procedure. Any further questions feel free to ask and definitely watch the video. It goes step by step. I think it is a good idea to write down all your numbers before you change anything so you can always go back. if necessary. Good luck.

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't be concerned. Just go step by step. It really is easy. What I did was play/pause the Ross-Tech video as I was doing the procedure. I also watched the video a couple of times first to get a better grasp before I started.