First issue since "the fix"

R87

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
To start off, I have a '13 Jetta that I elected to keep and have the fix performed about a year ago. Other than a noticeable loss of power, I recently had my first issue:

I went to start my car after work one morning. The temp was right at -1 F here in central Ohio. My glow plug indicator came on, but rather than the usual light up during the warming cycle, it flashed nonstop. I turned the car off and did the same thing...still blinking. The car started normally even with this frigid temperature and warmed up without issue, so I let it warm up for about 15 minutes. I got in to drive home and discovered the car was in limp mode.

I managed to get my car home, and let it sit. I started it about 24 hours later and the CEL light was now on, but no blinking glow plug indicator. Based on what I've read it could be anything from a damaged DPF to something wrong with the fuel system. Fortunately, with the extended warranty to the entire emission system and entire fuel system, I think (hope) I wont have an issue with the dealership.

The reason for this post is that it seems to be becoming more and more common to cars that have had the fix and are continuing to drive their cars. I'll keep the thread updated.

Anybody else have this issue? If so, did your dealer give you any hiccup with the warranty repairs?

Thanks!

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
If you need a VCDS hookup, I live in Millersport so it shouldn't be too hard for us to get together after work sometime. I have an old unlimited vin one so no worries there.

GTPlus

TDI
2013 Jetta
I had something almost identical happen to mine. Ended up being the Exhaust gas temperature sensor nearest the turbo. Had code P0544 - Sensor 1 for Exhaust Temp Bank 1 (G235)

If this is the case with yours, don't drive on it too much with this codes since the engine needs this sensor to to regen.

Peytron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Do the MKVI Jettas have the same intercooler icing issue as the MKVs? Flashing glow plug and limp mode trigger when mine has iced up in the past.

R87

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Do the MKVI Jettas have the same intercooler icing issue as the MKVs? Flashing glow plug and limp mode trigger when mine has iced up in the past.
They do from what I’ve read. I’m inclined to think that isn’t the issue since the car started and ran without any issues other than being in limp mode. My understanding is that when the intercooler is iced the car has a hard start/no start.

Peytron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
They do from what I’ve read. I’m inclined to think that isn’t the issue since the car started and ran without any issues other than being in limp mode. My understanding is that when the intercooler is iced the car has a hard start/no start.

I've had it happen to me both ways. Depends if the water/ice got sucked through or just clogged the pipe. Just figured it would be something easy to check.

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
The 2013 JSW I just picked up did that on the test drive. Was running fine and then I lost half power and the glow plug light started flashing on the dash.

I called the dealership on the test drive to tell them and limped it back. The dealer said it was an emissions issue and they would have the car fixed. Took them 4 business days to find and correct the issue, replace the windshield, and prepare the car for delivery.

Not sure what the problem was but the dealer said there was a "kink in a boost hose so the ECU opened the wastegate to prevent damage to the engine" so I'm assuming the computer couldn't read the boost pressure and threw the TDI into limp mode to prevent overboosting.

I've had the car for about 3 weeks now and other than horrible mpg, it hasn't given me anymore fits.

foggedz

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Wasn't there plenty of people that were having issues with the glow plug warning lights prior to the fix?

What I'm getting at is just because a car has an issue after the fix doesn't mean that people weren't having the same issue prior the the fix.

Whatever the issue ends up being hopefully the dealer will fix it for free since the check engine light has come on.

eddiek1

TDI
82 vanagon 2013 s wagon
Got my 13 Sportwagen fixed in the fall . Just recently it has started to shudder and miss when taking off from stop . No dash lights on , but eventually clears up .

R87

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
** UPDATE **

It's a few days after I picked my car up, but here is what the dealer said:

Found fault for charge air pressure sensor. Found TSB 01-15-24 on replacing harness for sensor. Removed air box and battery tray. De-pinned ECM connector and re-pinned with new harness, routed harness and zip tied to existing harness. Cleared faults and found no return during test drive.

Part 1KD-971-658 is what they repaired and it was fixed under the extended warranty. So far, I've driven a few hundred miles and haven't had any issues. It has been as cold as it was the morning I experienced the issue, so time will tell.