5sp to 6 sp Manual Transmission Swap

Foiled

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 96, wagon 295K + (sold), Jetta, 05.5 (Sold)
I have a bad 5sp trans in my 2006 Jetta and am considering a swap to a 6 Speed MT. Will a 2006 VW Jetta GLI 2.0T OE MT fit a 2006 Jetta TDI?

Foiled

Veteran Member
TDI
What years would I need to use if I go with a 6 speed. 09-10 jetta TDI's?

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
06 jetta is 1.9 BRM, correct? Perhaps someone else will chime in here that has more experience with this vintage jetta, but my guess would be 02M that would bolt up. PM RyanP here on the site. He can tell you exactly.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
MKV and MKVI use a 02Q six speed trans. TDI ratios are critical to have though. gasser gearing is terrible behind a TDI.

Foiled

Veteran Member
TDI
It appears that the O2Q is the beginning of a VW part number. I see VW 6sp transmissions in the 09-10 years with transmission codes of KNS and LHD. I am trying to figure out how the O2Q part number relates to the transmission codes KNS, LHD, etc.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
My understanding is that the 02M has a VSS sensor for speedometer whereas the 02Q does not. The 02Q is the model of the trans whereas KNS or LHD is the trans code denoting it's application such as what the ratios are for gas or diesel, etc.

Foiled

Veteran Member
TDI
My understanding is that the 02M has a VSS sensor for speedometer whereas the 02Q does not. The 02Q is the model of the trans whereas KNS or LHD is the trans code denoting it's application such as what the ratios are for gas or diesel, etc.
Ok, most transmission sellers that I've been seeing are not using a O2Q or 02M model number, they are using the KNS, LHD, KND, MLD, etc codes. I'm trying to find a info source I can use to quickly sift through all the transmissions I find for sale since some of the sellers dont provide all the info they should. I lot say they have a "6sp manual transmission from a 2.0L." I'm always trying to figure out if its gas or diesel :confused:.
Basically, I'm just trying to know what transmission codes I can use for this swap.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
The 02M and 02Q tells you the manual transmission identification as in what box it is (six speeds in this case). The letters you refer to are the identification codes as to when it was manufactured, what it goes in, and what the gear ratios are for that box. The latter tells you what the application is of that box with its current internal configuration.
Your best bet is to contact Ryanp and ask him those questions. No guess work that way.
Here is some more information on the 02Q and its coding which also lists some of the codes you mention.