Stiff brake pedal feel when starting car

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
Strickly tell them what does a person do if there's a vacuum leak? ask them to monitor the vacuum when the car sits over night, when there's no vacuum in the morning, be there to see what they do.
Hopefully your dealer is better than mine. They acknowledged that my brakes were hard after only a few hours, they tried other cars, the brake pedals were hard on them as well. The dealers response to me was... "They all do that, there is nothing wrong"!!

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
Strickly tell them what does a person do if there's a vacuum leak? ask them to monitor the vacuum when the car sits over night, when there's no vacuum in the morning, be there to see what they do.

Also if you sit in the parking lot and pump the pedal 3-5 times after you shut it down in the dealer's parking lot, witness them trying to restart it. Sounds like it'd be pretty easy for you to reproduce the issues if it is infact a slow vacuum leak causing the issue.
I was thinking to do the same thing so that the problem will be there when they go to troubleshoot. Since the issue can be flaky at times, sometimes it'll show up only a few hours after I have parked the car and let it sit, another it may take a day or two to show up.

Another option is to start a car with a key fob, I noticed it releases brake pedal
This is true, but it would be very annoying to me to have to remote start, then car shuts offs to get in it, then gotta start car back up.

Hopefully your dealer is better than mine. They acknowledged that my brakes were hard after only a few hours, they tried other cars, the brake pedals were hard on them as well. The dealers response to me was... "They all do that, there is nothing wrong"!!
What a lazy dealer that is! lol. I think this is the beginnings of the "2012 Tiguan automatic trans shifting issue". This is where a lot of people including myself, I had a 2012 Tiguan SEL 4MOTION, didn't like the fast shifting trans, which was for fuel savings, many complaints later from many people, VWOA came out with a trans update to cure the issue, but unfortunately for me, it cured the issue but introduced another, rough shifting. long story short, probably if enough people complain about the issue and it gets back to VWOA maybe they'll do something about it. There is def. something not right, IMO, the car should not be that troublesome to start, and it was not like that during the warm months, when I first purchased the car. So to me there is an issue, and I'm not taking the "they all do it" answer! lol!

Last edited:

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
TypeRod said:
usarmy132 said:
Another option is to start a car with a key fob, I noticed it releases brake pedal
This is true, but it would be very annoying to me to have to remote start, then car shuts offs to get in it, then gotta start car back up.
The reason it 'releases' the pedal is that you have started the engine and the vacuum pump has now generated some vacuum so you can now press the brake pedal easier, agreed, very annoying to have to do this. Especially since I think all it will take to fix this issue is to put in a better vacuum check valve. Replacing it with the same crap that is in there now would be a waste of time.
TypeRod said:
IXLR8 said:
What a lazy dealer that is! lol. I think this is the beginnings of the "2012 Tiguan automatic trans shifting issue". This is where a lot of people including myself, I had a 2012 Tiguan SEL 4MOTION, didn't like the fast shifting trans, which was for fuel savings, many complaints later from many people, VWOA came out with a trans update to cure the issue, but unfortunately for me, it cured the issue but introduced another, rough shifting. long story short, probably if enough people complain about the issue and it gets back to VWOA maybe they'll do something about it. There is def. something not right, IMO, the car should not be that troublesome to start, and it was not like that during the warm months, when I first purchased the car. So to me there is an issue, and I'm not taking the "they all do it" answer! lol!
The scary part... this dealers service dept was at one time rated the best in New England and one of the top five in the country, which is why I went to them. No wonder most dealers get low marks.

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
The reason it 'releases' the pedal is that you have started the engine and the vacuum pump has now generated some vacuum so you can now press the brake pedal easier, agreed, very annoying to have to do this. Especially since I think all it will take to fix this issue is to put in a better vacuum check valve. Replacing it with the same crap that is in there now would be a waste of time.

The scary part... this dealers service dept was at one time rated the best in New England and one of the top five in the country, which is why I went to them. No wonder most dealers get low marks.
Wow...maybe different management is now in place. Im sure if you were to complain to VWOA, you may get more attention and possibly a better answer. But then again you may be starting your reputation as a "problem" customer, at least that's what I would worry about. I wouldnt want to be known as that one Passat guy who is constantly complaining. lol

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow...maybe different management is now in place. Im sure if you were to complain to VWOA, you may get more attention and possibly a better answer. But then again you may be starting your reputation as a "problem" customer, at least that's what I would worry about. I wouldnt want to be known as that one Passat guy who is constantly complaining. lol
Same service management has been in place for the last 18 years. All of the VW certified ASE mechanics have been there more than 10 years, some over 20, the parts guys over 15 years. Last time I complained to VWoA about a dealership I was told, "They are an independent company... take it up with their management" Two days later I called back to VWoA, got a different person, got the same message. Although that was 9 years ago.. maybe VWoA has changed and would be more responsive today.

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
Same service management has been in place for the last 18 years. All of the VW certified ASE mechanics have been there more than 10 years, some over 20, the parts guys over 15 years. Last time I complained to VWoA about a dealership I was told, "They are an independent company... take it up with their management" Two days later I called back to VWoA, got a different person, got the same message. Although that was 9 years ago.. maybe VWoA has changed and would be more responsive today.
Wow! I guess it all matters who you talk to at the dealership in question and if you catch them at a "good mood" moment.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow! I guess it all matters who you talk to at the dealership in question and if you catch them at a "good mood" moment.
I talked with the service manager. On the other hand, they are the only dealership out of 5 that I called that would do a free, good will warranty, alignment on my car. I had 3400 miles on it at the time, the alignment was off a little and pull to the right was greatly reduced... but not eliminated. It took them almost 2 hrs and all parameters were comfortably in the green when they were done.

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
I talked with the service manager. On the other hand, they are the only dealership out of 5 that I called that would do a free, good will warranty, alignment on my car. I had 3400 miles on it at the time, the alignment was off a little and pull to the right was greatly reduced... but not eliminated. It took them almost 2 hrs and all parameters were comfortably in the green when they were done.
Things like that, would make me be a repeat customer for sure.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,

If they were able to start those cars and not yours, then something is def wrong with yours. Clear slam dunk of forcing them to fix "something" don't take the car back until they do.

Were you able to press the pedal and start your car with zero vacuum?

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
If they were able to start those cars and not yours, then something is def wrong with yours. Clear slam dunk of forcing them to fix "something" don't take the car back until they do.
Were you able to press the pedal and start your car with zero vacuum?
I have never had an issue starting my car, the issue is no braking, and when I park on a hill... car tends to roll until I get the engine started. I'm too lazy to use the E-brake, also out of habit as you couldn't use the E-brake on my last car. Keep in mind I have a SE 6M, no KESSY.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I have never had an issue starting my car, the issue is no braking, and when I park on a hill... car tends to roll until I get the engine started. I'm too lazy to use the E-brake, also out of habit as you couldn't use the E-brake on my last car. Keep in mind I have a SE 6M, no KESSY.
The parking brake is there for a reason. Use it.

usarmy132

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Just did my 10k service, and had to leave a car over night. They checked a pedal and told me since car was not running vacuum was not working (duhhhh), therefore stiff pedal is normal for ALL VW. Did anyone else have any different answers from a dealer?

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
Just did my 10k service, and had to leave a car over night. They checked a pedal and told me since car was not running vacuum was not working (duhhhh), therefore stiff pedal is normal for ALL VW. Did anyone else have any different answers from a dealer?
Were you having trouble getting the car to start? If so, did you mention this to the dealer? I know I have difficulty starting the car b/c of this. That may make them dig further.

usarmy132

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Were you having trouble getting the car to start? If so, did you mention this to the dealer? I know I have difficulty starting the car b/c of this. That may make them dig further.
I did say that sometimes I have trouble to start a vehicle, however they said it started for them every time. Seems there is no win-win situation here :mad:

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
I did say that sometimes I have trouble to start a vehicle, however they said it started for them every time. Seems there is no win-win situation here :mad:
What a crock....I wouldn't believe them for a second. And yes I agree it does seem like a no win situation. Maybe try another dealer?

VtdiW

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Stiff pedal

Brought mine in for the 3rd time for this issue & for the 20,000 mi service. They found nothing again . I thought all along that it was vacuum related too, but i just remote started mine. When i got in the car & went to restart it ,the car wouldn't start. The pedal was hard to press down & the MFI gave the warning to depress the pedal.

Dan

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
I still have the issue. But I may have been a little too quick to say that my Passat was not recognizing that I had the brake pedal down. I was leaving my car in the garage and I dont drive it often, so when I do go start the car, I totally forget about the glowplugs needing a sec or two to warm up before the ECU will let the vehicle crank and start. So I would get in the car, mash the pedal down, forget about the glowplugs, push the start button, nothing happens, then I immediately press the start button again (not sure if that cancels the first start), nothing happens, then I chalk it up to, the car not recognizing the brake pedal is depressed.

But lately I've been experimenting, since Ive remembered about the glow plugs, and my car recognizes the brake pedal is depressed and the ECU allows it to crank and start. I will do more experimenting on estimating how far i have to push the pedal, but if i had to guess, i think the least amt. i had to push the pedal may have been about 1 inch.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Even at 45f ambient, for whatever reason, my Passat has a several second delay after hitting the start button. My JSW is almost instantaneous.
Go figure.

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
I have same thing since its engine driven vacuum pump. But I think it’s a bad design or design flow, I had BMW E60 550, that V8 is using valvetronic system (http://forums.subdriven.com/showthread.php?389222-BMW-Valvetronic-engine-technology-explained.) and always open throttle, there is no vacuum produced by this type of motor. BMW is using vacuum pump as well (btw, it looked a like on VW TDi), but brake pedal had never got that hard like it's hapening on VW TDi.

Last edited:

in2dwww

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan 6MT - sold
The stiff brake pedal in the mornings is driving me insane. I complained at 2750 miles. The dealer said "there's no vacuum when engine is off - this is normal." I can't fathom why it's rock solid. If you parked the car and pumped the brakes with the engine off, it would not get as hard to depress as it is on cold mornings.

This is the one thing I dislike about my new Passat. VW better fix this. None of the Audi loaners I drove had this issue. I know VW can do better.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
I just took mine in this AM for the 3k checkup and told them about my stiff brake pedal at startup. Service manager immediately said "sounds like a faulty check valve". Am scheduled to take it in this Sat to have it looked at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
I just took mine in this AM for the 3k checkup and told them about my stiff brake pedal at startup. Service manager immediately said "sounds like a faulty check valve". Am scheduled to take it in this Sat to have it looked at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Wow, thats the answer I would've wanted to hear as well, this is what another member has said the solution to the problem may be. Keep us posted.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
I will. Although I have my doubts anything will be fixed if the comments on this board are any indication. The problem appears to be random and I certainly cannot reproduce it on demand. The odds are against me but I'm hoping my dealer will find the problem.

in2dwww

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan 6MT - sold
I took the liberty of mentioning this problem in the VW survey. I also marked it as a "never buy again" issue.

Now, for long term reliability, I got to thinking about what this kind of brake pedal pressure under no vacuum would do to the master cylinder. Does anyone know if this insane vacuum loss and heavy pedal pressure would create a hydraulic lock in the master/slave? I'm not sure, but something's gotta take that pressure and crack at some point.

VernK

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat 2.5L Gas
All that is happening is you are losing the vacuum assist. How hard you are pushing inthe morning is how hard the master cylinder gets pushed all the time. It's just that when the engine is running (and the reservoir is full, which it would be if it wasn't leaking down) the vacuum is suppling most of the push.

You are in no danger of anything except not getting the car started one day.

Yours
Vern.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
Took my Passat in yesterday for the 3K checkup. They didn't find anything obviously wrong like a loose vacuum connection or anything. They didn't even see the brake pedal get stiff. (not surprised there) But they wanted to keep the car for a day or two to do a more thorough investigation. Service Manager was concerned because it could be a safety issue.

They gave me a 2.5 SE loaner. OMG - I want my TDI back NOW. lol

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
Took my Passat in yesterday for the 3K checkup. They didn't find anything obviously wrong like a loose vacuum connection or anything. They didn't even see the brake pedal get stiff. (not surprised there) But they wanted to keep the car for a day or two to do a more thorough investigation. Service Manager was concerned because it could be a safety issue.

They gave me a 2.5 SE loaner. OMG - I want my TDI back NOW. lol
I know when my brake pedal is normal when the car is off, I can pump it a few times and it will become stiff. Have you tried this yet, Im guessing the dealer didn't do this either?